Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 12:31 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts
Default OT Tortola/St.John

Big O.T.
Heading down this weekend and since rennlisters are travelers I thought I would check for tips !
Old 05-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't that where the pirates went to get ******? Have fun!
Old 05-28-2008, 01:00 PM
MDL
Racer

We've been to St John's about 12 years ago. It is the ONLY Caribbean island that is worth seeing IMHO. The people were very friendly and it was a clean island. We snorkeled in Trunk Bay...absolutely beautiful. St Thomas, St Martian were down right scarry, filthy, and the locals hated the fact we were there. A lot could have changed between then and now.

Hope you have a great time.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

St. Johns is by far our favorite Caribbean Island. Trunk Bay is gorgeous but can get a bit crowded when the curise ship come in. If you are a hardcore snorkler check out Salt Pond Beach. The beach is sort of rocky and there is about a 1/4 mile walk from the parking lot to the beach, but the snorkeling is phenomenal. If you venture over that way, eat lunch at Skinny Legs - great burgers.

As far as beaches, I'm not sure how long your'e going to be there for, but I would recommend renting a jeep and checking a bunch of the beaches. They are all phenomenal - best of the Carbbiean IMHO. One to check out is Oppenheimer Beach. It was owned once upon a time by Robert Oppenheimer and was willed to the island as a public park. It is used mainly by the locals and is not all that easy to find - not on a lot of the maps, but it is gorgeous, very secluded, and there is a good chance you would have the whole beach to yourself - definitely my wife's and my favorite. White sand and good snorkeling right off the beach.

Where are you staying?

Have fun!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:20 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

They gave you a passport?
Old 05-28-2008, 09:31 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Virgin Gorda has "the baths". They are a pile of giant boulders with natural pools inside them.
Also Foxy's Bar in Jost Van Dyke is a great place to have drinks and listen to steel drums.
Peter Island is a resort with whale wathing at the top of the island.

Last edited by Sunshine; 05-29-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:10 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

If you want a memorable dinner, try Au Solaire, which is just a few minutes up the hill from the Cruz Bay ferry terminal. Outstanding food, and a memorable balcony overlooking the Bay and looking across to St Thomas. Get there early, in time to enjoy a sunset you will not forget. Make sure you get a balcony table. You'll have one happy partner!

Lots of terrific dive sites around St John, and great snorkelling too. If you have time, a trip the the Baths at Virgin Gorda is a must.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:08 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Check out Bomba's surf shack on Tortola, do Virgin Gorda if you have time, the Bath's are very nice. Foxy's is also a hoot.
Phil
Old 05-29-2008, 02:07 AM
turbo96
Track Day

If staying on Tortola and looking for fine dining, go to Brandywine Bay-- easily best restaurant on island. Good sailing trips from Voyage Charters at Sopers Hole Marina on Tortola.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:18 AM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Thanks for the tips , keep them comming.
I have done alot of the suggestions and look foward to doing them again.
John you better hide Susan's passport so she cannot go on that "emergency" business trip next week!
Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 AM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

rent a villa on st. john...snorkle/dive at all the above mentioned sites...look for sea turtles while snorkleing just before sunset at maho bay in the turtle grass beds.

rent a Nuati-nymph center console boat and head over to yost van dyke to the soggy dollar bar then over to norman island to hit the willie thornton ship now a bar (free margaritas for the women who jump over board topless) and then over to billy bones for some chonch fritters and suds and you can see the baths on the same trip.....endless opportunities for fun....enjoy.....I am buying property there very soon looking to build a rental villa...
Old 05-29-2008, 10:44 AM
CB Red 964
Advanced

Been cruising BVI a few times but not in the last 10 years. Sounds like you are committed to that spot.

If not I suggest you also take a look at the Abacos in the Bahamas. This is nothing like Nassau or Freeport. This is a group of out Islands that are protected by a barrier reef and barrier Islands. Lot's to do and renting a boat and Island hoping in protected water with line-of-site navigation is great. No cruise ships, just boating cruisers and house renters.

Short 45 minute flight puddle jump from Fort Lauderdale.

Loads of houses to rent. This is not the place for someone looking for the full resort amenities. No need for a rental car. Rent a 20' boat and maybe a golf cart for one of the bigger islands.

Been going there twice a year for the last 25 years.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:57 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

Ina ll seriousness, I stayed here http://www.islandhideaways.com/villa.php?villa_id=336 several years ago and loved it.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:21 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Wife and I went to St. Thomas last year and took the car ferry over to St. John. St. John is a nice relaxed place. Very clean, good food awesome water. Enjoy!
Old 05-29-2008, 12:27 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

I stayed here the last time at St. Johns and loved it - highly recommed it.
http://www.gallowspointresort.com/

Quick Reply: OT Tortola/St.John