Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What a great weekend at VIR

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 01:48 PM
rmag
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Great weekend ... a bit of test and tune for me. Trj - thank for letting me catch up so we could play for a few laps ...was a blast trying to keep up with your machine!
Old 05-27-2008, 01:59 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunshine
I just attended the DE at VIR. It was my first ever. I drove my Porsche on the track without incident. I was there alone but not for long. I learned alot and met some really nice people. I look forward to the next event and seeing all my new friends again. It's definatley all about the people!
-Laura
Welcome to the addiction!

When trying to explain it to people who don't "get" the whole concept of HPDEs I compare it to playing golf at 100 MPH. Every track is like a different golf course, and every turn is like a hole at a golf course. You strive for perfection at every turn (hole) and then hit the clubhouse to talk about your exploits.

Like golf, you strive to "play" the best courses (VIR), but you're happy to be out there under any circumstances (Summit Point); and there are lots of little toys and accessories you can buy, and professionals to emulate.

I basically gave up golf for track days because I love the adrenalin rush. For folks that find golf to be sufficiently exciting, track days will always seem insane.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:30 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Laura, good meeting you and glad you had a good weekend.

All, one day laying on the couch was not enough to recover from the "track hangover" (copyright John Carey - has nothing to do with alcohol, just general weariness from three days of high adrenaline and all the other associated drains on energy). I am still moving slowly today. Car is off the trailer, but nothing else is put away yet.

It was a great event for me - engine, trans (just back together three weeks ago), brakes, and suspension all performed well. Fought tire balance and vibration problems all weekend. Thank you to Jim Bell and Eric for coming to my rescue and helping me with patching my front spoiler back together (race tape, aluminum sheet, and pop rivets) so I could continue through the weekend - middle of the climbing esses is not a good place to spin. BKS, thanks for the aluminum. Jim, thanks for the rims.

Ted and family, Jeff, Phil, BKS, Jim, Josh, and Eric - great hanging with you guys as always. John Carey/BCS - thanks for sponsoring the open house at Synergy, but most of all for putting that together at the last minute. You had bigger turn-out than the dinners and other socials that FSR has done in the past. I'm sure that has nothing to do with the gorgeous race cars Synergy rolled out for us. T-Roy, Matt, Scott, Mike, and all the other garage weenies (even you Terry), good seeing you and hanging when I could.

Frank, Thanks for helping with registration.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:31 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

don .... That is Mr garage weenie!!!

Good job Don great event even though I got two sessions a day still worth it!!!!
sorry for leaving you on a Jamb... I did do two check out rides and had two students ride with me.. But made them promise not to do anything I did on track ... LOL

Ted I wish young matt could have riden with me!!!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:36 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trj
I agree! Enjoyed meeting many new folks and 3 awesome days on the track!!!!!
Ditto. Hey TRJ get an updated avatar picture with that wonderful carbon fiber wing!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:50 PM
993inNC
Race Car

bella you have a PM (unrelated to this discussion)
Old 05-27-2008, 04:04 PM
TedA
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 930man
Ted I wish young matt could have riden with me!!!
He did get a chance to ride with BKS. It's official.....our car sucks because it won't go 180 mph up the climbing esses or belch raw fuel and flame.

This kid needs a sponsor.....
Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't shortchange me Ted - the actual number was 181.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM
dbryant61
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt,

I was not in a jamb. I appreciate what you did and it was great that you were able to both enjoy some time at the track and spend time with your kids. What fuel crisis? :^)

For the first time since I've been involved (since Sept. '03) we had more instructors than students. We had several reserve instructors available the entire weekend and every instructor only did single duty.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Running with TRJ

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Trj,

I was hoping to run with you some more, but we never gridded at the same time again. That one run was great though.

Jim
Me too. He would grid in front of me and I would never see him again! Once he started behind me just so I could see that beautiful Carbon Fiber wing and deck lid as he passed by!
Old 05-27-2008, 04:25 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

181 and accelerating actually....

For once, I'd love to go to a DE and not have BKS not pass me....

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
Don't shortchange me Ted - the actual number was 181.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:30 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

DON I sent you a PM. My name is Alex! Just kidding of course
Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

And BTW - where's Rick Betterley when I need him.... He'll be shocked to hear that I haven't made any complaints about people not giving point-bys at the FSR PCA event. (see, it took a few years, but that waiver is finally kicking in and working).

Good event fellas.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:31 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Insurance

Originally Posted by 993inNC
bella you have a PM (unrelated to this discussion)
PMd back. Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 04:36 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Diving In

Originally Posted by rmag
Great weekend ... a bit of test and tune for me. Trj - thank for letting me catch up so we could play for a few laps ...was a blast trying to keep up with your machine!
And I will be sure to wait when I point you by next time. Sorry about that dude and see you at the Glen in June!

Quick Reply: What a great weekend at VIR