Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is how much I care about the Indy 500 and the IRL....

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:59 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe

Why not give some crap to Marco Andretti who pulled an asshat move and took his team mate out. Marco seems to come up with one of those about every other race. Come to think of it, maybe Risi Competizoni needs to hire him to drove in ALMS. He fits the Melo/Sako driving style just fin.

I give the Marco/Tony issue a 60/40 blame. Tony stays low and Dixon who has given a nice pull for Marco goes by up high. Marco using the speed he had staying behind Dixon gets the door closed up high by Tony and either has a choice to lose his momentum or go by Tony. Kanaan was all over the place and had screwed up his momentum through the traffic. Yeah don't push your teammate like that but a number of other drivers survived late passes like that throughout the race without incident as well. If they hadn't been teammates I would give the blame 50/50 a typical racing incident. The announcers blew it way out proportion. Dixon in interviews later said that Kanaan initiated teh situation himself by misjudging traffic.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:04 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
I give the Marco/Tony issue a 60/40 blame. Tony stays low and Dixon who has given a nice pull for Marco goes by up high. Marco using the speed he had staying behind Dixon gets the door closed up high by Tony and either has a choice to lose his momentum or go by Tony. Kanaan was all over the place and had screwed up his momentum through the traffic. Yeah don't push your teammate like that but a number of other drivers survived late passes like that throughout the race without incident as well. If they hadn't been teammates I would give the blame 50/50 a typical racing incident. The announcers blew it way out proportion. Dixon in interviews later said that Kanaan initiated teh situation himself by misjudging traffic.
I'm such a non-fan of Marco, that maybe I'm biased and you're right. But at the time he made the pass, I honestly didn't realize who he was going under, and thought to myself, uh oh. Kanaan screwing up or not, Marco's pass to me looked like one that was going to cause a wreck.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm such a non-fan of Marco, that maybe I'm biased and you're right. But at the time he made the pass, I honestly didn't realize who he was going under, and thought to myself, uh oh. Kanaan screwing up or not, Marco's pass to me looked like one that was going to cause a wreck.
I think that the whole deal would have been more of a non-issue of the meatheads in the booth hadn't harped on it for so long.

I'd say there were a lot of other drivers out there that were making more bonehead moves.

The multiple drivers slowing while on line in turn 4 to go into the pits causing people to hit the wall to avoid come to mind.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:23 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I think Tony gave Marco too much room and got up too high. On the other side I do not think Marco needed to be pressing a late pass on a team mate like that at that time during the race.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:33 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MTosi
Did you post that picture here???

Yeah , that's VR's girl and by the way , ENZO me thinks...............
Old 05-26-2008, 03:42 AM
Congo
Burning Brakes

Non-spec indy cars for 2011

http://motorsport.com/news/article.a...469&FS=INDYCAR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQaTAPnij58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXeaMQwuQLk

Some interest expressed before the merger:

(last two paragraphs)

http://www.racecar-engineering.com/c...-cadillac.html

Vitor Meira made the move of the race on lap 159.

His team, Panther Racing, is a small one-car team.

http://www.pantherracing.com/news/index.cfm?cid=16866

The Monaco F1 race was great, but the rain helped make things interesting as it did in two back-to-back races late in last year's season.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:21 AM
MTosi
User

I'm sorry, but what a load of misogynist crap. Danica had every reason to be pissed as hell. And she wouldn't be as good as she is if she didn't have that competitive drive in her. So what if she pops off. She's still faster than anyone that posts on this board.

Oh, and btw, Sarah Fisher was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. That wreck was not her fault.

Why not give some crap to Marco Andretti who pulled an asshat move and took his team mate out. Marco seems to come up with one of those about every other race. Come to think of it, maybe Risi Competizoni needs to hire him to drove in ALMS. He fits the Melo/Sako driving style just fine.

The race itself was just ok. There was little passing, and not much excitement. And yes, it seemed like every time they went split screen it was under yellow, and when they went to full commercial, the green flag was out.
I don't think anyone is refering to her driving or that incident, it's just the over hyping of her by the media. I don't care how good she looks in the swimsuit issue, she is still an above average mid pack driver. Also I think she needs to make a decision, whether for the rest of her career she want's to be a marketing icon, or if she wants to focus on racing and start seriously being in contention for more wins.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:37 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find it funny when anyone on this forum ( with very few exceptions) can call a drover in F1, Indy, Rolex, etc an "average driver". As if they can actually make a distinction between skill, car,setup and car risk at the pro level. 38D put it best sometime back by saying the more he races, the more he realizes how much he does not know about the sport. (paraphrased, sorry Colin).
Old 05-26-2008, 09:38 AM
DarkSideDE
Pro

A simple question --

if it were you in the pit getting your rear bumped - and your car could no longer race -- what would your reaction be?
Old 05-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think anyone is refering to her driving or that incident, it's just the over hyping of her by the media. I don't care how good she looks in the swimsuit issue, she is still an above average mid pack driver. Also I think she needs to make a decision, whether for the rest of her career she want's to be a marketing icon, or if she wants to focus on racing and start seriously being in contention for more wins.
Give me a break... First off, I'm sure she could run circles around any of us here (maybe excluding Leh Keen - and that's only a maybe). Second, if someone offered you millions of dollars per year ($5 million according to this link) to be a marketing icon, and then accused you of devoting too much time to your marketing commitments and not enough to your racing (which is probably a load of crap anyhow), what would your reaction be? Would you honestly crawl into a hole and give up the millions?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Ritter v4.0
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

Wait, there was race in Indianapolis this w/e??
Damn- that's +20 years in row I've missed it.

I did watch however the webcast of Nurburgring 24hrs and then Monaco F1 (just add water to the latter to make it interesting).
Old 05-26-2008, 10:09 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So what would she do differently to "focus on racing"?

I think she is pretty intense in her approach to racing. Have you ever raced against her? Have you ever been on track with her? Have you ever watched her working with her team, up close?
Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 806 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by bobt993
38D put it best sometime back by saying the more he races, the more he realizes how much he does not know about the sport. (paraphrased, sorry Colin).
Close enough

I do find the media attention on Danica to be a bit over the top. But no more so than Lewis, Alonzo or any other driver that sparks the media's interest. The constant talk about Helio and dancing is probably the worst actually.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:29 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,646 Likes on 764 Posts

A friend crashed last week trying to qualify for the Indy 500 and I still forgot the race was on.

Indy / Cart racing has been of my radar for so long I just can't get back into it.

Monaco was awesome, some good driving there
Like each F1 race, I watched practice, qualification and the race, Monaco is really fantastic to watch, especially in the rain!!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:35 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I watched all the televised racing this weekend. I am a race fan... not a race snob.

I guess a lot of you only like 1 type of music and 1 band huh? You are missing out in life!

Quick Reply: This is how much I care about the Indy 500 and the IRL....