Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slow Motion Cups and Saucers video......

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:36 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Hey Gary ... Good to see you last w/e! Looking forward to the race as well. See you all there!!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:44 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Two wheels off ??? in T1 Isn't that the racing line. They were painfully slow for an advanced event??? Good drive
I got black flagged for that too last year in T1. Guess they don't us touching their precious chicanes
Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D

Post some more laps so we can dissect it and give you some tips .
I will do that, I need major input to shave off at least 10 sec.

Originally Posted by 38D
The one thing you need to do is follow closer. When you go thru the laces, you are way too far off Joel's rear bumper (in the Cayman).
Got it.....but let's not forget Joel is a very good driver.......
Old 05-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 994 Likes on 595 Posts

Also remember that hte entrance to the bus stop is way faster than most people take it. Use the entrance to finish off killing speed and then put it back on kill to get into the carosel.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Two other suggestions:

1) you seem to be downshifting as soon as you get on the brakes in many spots, particularly in 7 and 8; wait later in the brake zone

2) just before the black flag, you seem toi be holding steering input too long in 7; begin gradually unwinding sooner
Old 05-21-2008, 12:48 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Boy Paolo, that was like Deja-Vu all over again... I had the same thing happen to me to the letter. I get a point by early going into the main straight, the guy drag races me all the way to the braking zone, I brake later than usual and take a very off-line approach into T1, I purposely and in a very controlled way use some of the white turtles to TO, and off I went without a problem. Then out comes the black flag and I got to talk with Uncle Bill. "How's the track out there?" "Excellent, it's dried out and feels great..." "Any chance you were 2-off?" "No, not a chance, I wasn't even pushing it..." "OK, take it easy out there..."
Old 05-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RonCT
Boy Paolo, that was like Deja-Vu all over again... I had the same thing happen to me to the letter. I get a point by early going into the main straight, the guy drag races me all the way to the braking zone, I brake later than usual and take a very off-line approach into T1, I purposely and in a very controlled way use some of the white turtles to TO, and off I went without a problem. Then out comes the black flag and I got to talk with Uncle Bill. "How's the track out there?" "Excellent, it's dried out and feels great..." "Any chance you were 2-off?" "No, not a chance, I wasn't even pushing it..." "OK, take it easy out there..."
IMHO, Uncle Bill should not be hired for an "advanced" driver's group as his demeanor is better suited for people who have never been to the track... Then again, given the traffic in the this video, maybe hiring him was the right call...
Old 05-21-2008, 01:18 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Two other suggestions:

1) you seem to be downshifting as soon as you get on the brakes in many spots, particularly in 7 and 8; wait later in the brake zone

2) just before the black flag, you seem toi be holding steering input too long in 7; begin gradually unwinding sooner

Just so I could learn too...in (1) above did you mean brake later and then quickly downshift OR brake at the same point, stay on the brakes for a moment and then downshift? Thanks...
Old 05-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was an advanced driver run group?????????

All excellent advice above Dr. Pain, as you go faster you will live and love the rumbles.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:49 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Two other suggestions:

VR you are correct, I am working on eliminating the habit of using engine braking..... not good for many reasons........

and I do need to unwind quicker in certain turns....

thanks for your input.......
Old 05-21-2008, 02:35 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
Then again, given the traffic in the this video, maybe hiring him was the right call...
Ouch.....
Old 05-21-2008, 03:34 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BobbyC
Just so I could learn too...in (1) above did you mean brake later and then quickly downshift OR brake at the same point, stay on the brakes for a moment and then downshift? Thanks...
Bobby, I meant the latter: brake at the same point, and then downshift maybe 2/3 of the way thru th ebrake zone rather than in the first 10%. Engine revs will be lower, less throttle blip required, and less chance of locking the rear end up & spinning if you mess up & don't blip before letting the clutch out! Do the majority of slowing with the brakes (cheap) rather than the clutch & gearbox (priceless in some Porsches).

Paolo, my pleasure. Meant in 100% spirit of helping!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

two off is my standard line at track out of T1. Uncle Bill and I had some quality time together.

In general, this was not an advanced group. It was more like an average white run group.

Last edited by Sean F; 05-21-2008 at 06:45 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:20 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

For those who wouldn't mind give me more constructive criticism and help me shave another 10 sec. my best lap, this is for you......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=In-i477Sv_A

I figured the first clean lap was about 2:24.....

Thanks.....
Old 05-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356

In general, this was not an advanced group. It was more like an average white run group.
Based on the videos I have seen of traffic, it sure seems that way.

Quick Reply: Slow Motion Cups and Saucers video......