Sponsored by:

Helmet radio wiring. Looks ok?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 10:31 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Helmet radio wiring. Looks ok?

I've never used a radio system let alone mount a boom mic in my helmet. This seems to be the most logical way to set it up (imagine screws securing the clips to the helmet). Question for you guys who have used one before, are my wires in a practical position? Any advice as to how to better position these? The wire toward the front is the earbud plug and the car harness plug is pointing to the rear.
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,719 Likes on 883 Posts

Have your ear bud plug where your thumb is.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

like this? (the velcro will become a wire clamp)
Attached Images  
Old 05-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Yup, keeps it out of your face, and away from drink bottles, hands, debris, etc. I actually have mine on the right side of my helmets, but IMO it doesnt matter.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:01 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

i figured that the left side is best so workers (or a friend if I am belted and forget to connect) can connect/disconnect as needed.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Makes sense!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:54 AM
dmwhite
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have my ear bud plugs turned around backwards (facing the rear of the helmet) on my helmets...makes it harder to accidentally unplug your ear buds...

definitely install it on the left side, much easier for friends/crew to get you plugged in...
Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

facing backwards makes it easier to route the wire so maybe I'll go that route. thanks.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:07 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Interesting to see that PCA would certify the helmet for Club Racing, even after the ISAAC had been drilled/installed and then removed.

I would have thought they would NOT allow for any modificaitons (i.e. drilling) to the helmet, since this violates the homologation configuration.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:17 AM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

so what you're saying is that all helmets which do not come with HANS posts (or drilling) from the manufacturer are not good? that's a lot of helmets.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:23 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps the sticker was put on before the holes were drilled or before the previous system was removed. I think most racing groups are following the thinking that a H&N system drilled into a helmet adds far more safety to the user than the slight if any structrual loss from a hole or two in fiberglass would remove.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by chrisp
so what you're saying is that all helmets which do not come with HANS posts (or drilling) from the manufacturer are not good? that's a lot of helmets.
IIRC, the helmet's Snell rating is dependent on the 'as tested' homologation configuration of the helmet by the manufacturer.
As such, and as is often listed in the paperwork/warrnaty information that comes with a helmet, NO modifications are allowed to the helmet in the 'as delivered homologation' configuration. This applies to drilling holes and even painting.
This was a problem in the early days of the HANS, since TECHNICALLY drilling holes for the anchors would violate the homologation information and thus violate warranty.
(As a side note, the ISAAC offered a binary adhesive to mount the anchors and as such would not violate the helmet shell by not having to drill, but I digress).

Newer helmets can be ordered, PRE DRILLED for HANS anchors, the helmets are tested/certified in this configuration.
(FWIW, my son's SA2005 Arai GP5 (which replaced his Arai SK5 helmet lost in his Moroso crash) was predrilled by Arai and certified in that configuration).

In the end, it's much to do about nothing, but I find it amusing that PCA would get so wrapped up around the axle regarding SFI38.1 and yet certifiy helmets that violate manufacturer homologation standards.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 111 Posts

On the radio apparatus, I think some of the racing radio providers have installation instructions available on line. I bought a Sampson Racing kit for my helmet, and followed their instructions. Works pretty well, except that the plug for the earphones is a little too far forward on my helmet. The issue is that I sometime end up grabbing the earphone wire and pulling out the plug if I adjust my shoulder belts tighter. Basically, the earphone wire drapes a little too close to the shoulder harness adjuster on the left side. So I suggest trying to ensure that the wires are routed away from that area, and to the extent that the plug attachment can affect that, try to minimize it.
Old 05-21-2008, 01:34 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
...I find it amusing that PCA would get so wrapped up around the axle...
Is that like "panties in a wad?"
Old 05-21-2008, 02:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by gbaker
Is that like "panties in a wad?"

Yes, but I was trying to stay in a 'motorsports' theme.
I was considering "boxers in a bunch" as well.

Quick Reply: Helmet radio wiring. Looks ok?