Sponsored by:

Interior work to my track car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:45 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how I did it was HARD WORK!!!

Seriously, first thing I did was to obviously remove all the old carpet and sound deadening. This is pretty easy however I did have to destroy some of it when taking it out. Probably could have preserved more had I taken a little more time and removed more parts ie heater etc. Once they were out I was at the stage of photo 1.

The hard bit was to remove the tar and glue. I had been told to use dry ice on the tar and it shrinks and cracks off. my learning was that it did not work the best and found that the best method was an old screwdriver (well it is old now) to in effect prize the tar away from the metal. Once I had used the screwdriver to grove channels out of the tar I used a scraper to remove the excess. This is not easy work and takes a while (guess at 20 hours!). Finally then used some 3m tar remover to get the residuall tar off and then a wire wheel to really clean up the area.

Glue was done in much the same way, 3m tar remover, plenty of elbow greese and damaged lungs from the fumes.....

finally was the fun bit, used spot filling primer first, a coat of grey primer....then a coat of red primer and finally LOTS of coats of grey paint (plasticote wheel paint) I wanted a mat look so gave it a final coat of laquer to seal in the paint.

And before you can say, man this is a **** job and took 40 hours......I was done

said never again, but loooking at results it was worth it!
Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM
fiskarflugen
Rennlist Member

Are those homemade door panels? They look great and I like the door pulls.
Old 05-19-2008, 06:24 PM
DanR
Drifting

yes, homemade. Bought a sheet of textured 1/8th plastic for $20 of the net and cut them to the shape! The door pulls were donated by the kind guy who I bought the belts from. Took less than an hour to do!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See it never does end! Just when you think you are getting close, some internet genius posts pics, and invents a whole new weekend worth of stuff for you to do! Once again, nice work! I'm headed back out to the garage to do a round of touch up on my interior.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice job. I'm going to follow your lead shortly.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 PM
cr207
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice, and just think about how much money you saved by doing it yourself.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:07 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Nice work. I've got a silver car with maroon interior so these were inspirational pics.

Quick Reply: Interior work to my track car