Sponsored by:

944 in-car video, hits tirewall at Thunderhill

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 02:48 AM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that tire wall...but when I hit it, it was a dirt mound instead...very little damage....
Old 05-21-2008, 08:56 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm...

I can't comment on the track, since I don't know it, but when the rear of the car starts to move and the hands don't, I call that slow hands. Fast hands react almost before the car does, and they do it lightening quick. A novice passenger in a car where fast hands are employed to correct a moment like this would see the steering input and wonder what all the fuss was about?

You get the chance to utter about "one" out of One-Mississippi or you are too late. I think he got 3-4 syllables deep before his hands moved, and then they did so without enough committment. In fact, the entire correction needs to be made in the time it takes to SAY "one."

Easy to say from here, of course. Glad you're OK.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:50 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 76 Posts

Interesting. I have driven at thill in both front engine cars (a fast 951) and rear engine cars (current 911). Plus a lot of student cars of various configs. The driver in this video appears to know the track and the line pretty well. looks pretty good, except for going in late in 9 (very common).

Turn 1 is not a place where I see a lot of folks "experiment" with late braking or early apex. I have seen lots of spins and accidents there in various circumstances-- usually from under braking. I would never tell anyone to move up the apex like what Mark described, unless they were ridiculously late as evidenced by their exit path. I would encourage them to focus on exit speed, not early apex or late braking. It is an easy place to check your tach at exit. With a WOT light in the camera field of view, you can also compare laps for where WOT occurs.

One of our guys hit that worker box in his 993 GT2 factory race car after a late pass. He has turned up the boost quite a bit and was faster than he was used to, made a late pass, then somehow decided it was important to not jam up the passed car (which had a driver with over 40 years experience), and held his braking a lil later than normal. He had no prayer of making it.

I am glad the car in this case was not too bad and the driver was not hurt. To me, once you are in the high 90's in terms of car's potential in each corrner at thill. the best places to go for more are at the turns preceding the longest straights, not the turns following the longest straights.

Quick Reply: 944 in-car video, hits tirewall at Thunderhill