Sponsored by:

Kyle Busch to drive a Toyota F1 car

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 12:15 PM
WalkerInTN
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mklaskin
Put it this way: He's a Toyota guy, so they'll set the car up so he doesn't make an *** of himself.
So no TV camera interviews will be allowed at the track then?
Old 05-19-2008, 02:50 PM
flashgordon
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is really funny when people try to compare the two different forms of racing. They require such different skill sets that there is no way to compare drivers from one series to the other. I have yet to see an oval track racer or road racer make the switch without major struggles. There is just too much to learn to expect any decent results from drivers trying to change from one series to the other. I believe that road racers have a wider array of skills, but oval racers must have complete competance in the skills they use. Road racers can be weak in on or two areas and still be successful, yet oval racers don't have that luxury. You will find plenty of respect for the nascar guys by trying to drive into turn one at pocono at 200mph.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:09 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Guys... Like it or not all the best American driving talent is going to NASCAR these days. So this means if you are young guy working your way up the best place to hope for is NASCAR. The reason is not becuase NASCAR is somehow harder, but that is where the money is. As such that is where the talent is going. So I do feel the best American drivers are in NASCAR. The sad thing is that the more they get intrenched in NASCAR I think the less they are able to run real road racing.

Why are F1 guys have issues in NASCAR? Well they are not used to driving 3500lbs bricks with soft suspensions. It takes time to learn how to race such POS equipment. For guys like Montoya I don't even think he really cars that much. Work 85 to 90% and collect a check. I think JV may be the same way these days.

Now on road racing vs oval racing... I think it much easier to transition from oval or road racing in open wheel cars like Indy car or Champ car or F1. Remember Montoya and JV both ran ovals in the US and did really well before F1.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:59 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 480 Posts

Ya, I wont lie, those guys going into corners at 180 plus is nothing to scoff at...I know when I run the reverse IMSA course at Pocono with a car that can DEFINITELY handle, I pucker every time I attempt anything around 140...let alone 200 mph... Different skill sets for different racing...
Old 05-19-2008, 05:05 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Flat footing it thru Eau Rouge is nothing to scoff at, the 4 apex 5G turn in Turkey is nothing to scoff at either.
NA$CAR drivers are mutts, F1 drivers are thoroughbreds.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
Flat footing it thru Eau Rouge is nothing to scoff at, the 4 apex 5G turn in Turkey is nothing to scoff at either.
NA$CAR drivers are mutts, F1 drivers are thoroughbreds.
Oh, brother...
Old 05-19-2008, 05:15 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Oh, brother...
Just seeing if you were paying attention.....have to keep you on your toes in case Sir A. Wayne shows up.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:16 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Glad to see he has the right attitude going into this thing...

Busch said his ultimate ambitions may include racing in the international open-wheel series. “We'll see how good I test, first,” Busch said. “We'll see if my neck can withstand the g-forces of the braking and everything. I wouldn't mind it. If I can do it and I'm good at it then I'll give it a shot and try it. It seems as though there racing isn't all that great — they kind of get stuck in line and the aero takes over everything.”

Who would Busch drive for? He seemed to indicate that if we were to go into F-1 it might not be with his current brand. “Toyota is not necessarily one of those companies at the moment that is like Ferrari or McLaren or Renault was a couple years ago,” Busch said. “It would take — I don't think it is just a driver to put in the seat to make it go. You need a little bit more of a car.”
Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 49 Posts

The skill sets are completely different.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:38 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Glad to see he has the right attitude going into this thing...

Busch said his ultimate ambitions may include racing in the international open-wheel series. “We'll see how good I test, first,” Busch said. “We'll see if my neck can withstand the g-forces of the braking and everything. I wouldn't mind it. If I can do it and I'm good at it then I'll give it a shot and try it. It seems as though there racing isn't all that great — they kind of get stuck in line and the aero takes over everything.”

Who would Busch drive for? He seemed to indicate that if we were to go into F-1 it might not be with his current brand. “Toyota is not necessarily one of those companies at the moment that is like Ferrari or McLaren or Renault was a couple years ago,” Busch said. “It would take — I don't think it is just a driver to put in the seat to make it go. You need a little bit more of a car.”

Whoever wrote that needs a lesson that many of us learned in the 3rd grade: the difference between "their" and "there" and "they're"....
Old 05-19-2008, 07:57 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Montoya on the test:

Montoya plays down NASCAR rival's F1 test (GMM) Former grand prix winner turned NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya has warned his American rival Kyle Busch about getting too excited about a forthcoming opportunity to test a formula one car.

Busch, a NASCAR frontrunner, revealed that he is in talks with Toyota to try the Japanese manufacturer's F1 single seater this winter, and he also refused to rule out making a full switch to the premier class of open wheel racing.

But Montoya, who was disillusioned with F1 as he moved to American stock cars in the middle of the 2006 season, warned Busch that lining up a F1 test may be more complicated than he believes.

The Colombian said there is a difference between a demonstration test and a "test for real".

Back in 2003 at Indianapolis, NASCAR's Jeff Gordon tried Montoya's Williams for a publicity stunt prior to the US grand prix.

Montoya recalls: "The car had no rpms. I told them, 'You can't do that' -- I actually convinced them to put in all the rpms like we normally would when we race it.

"Jeff did really well actually. We were very impressed. But going from a demonstration to an actual test is a big difference."

Montoya believes it will be impossible for Busch to go straight from racing predominantly on NASCAR's ovals to a "proper" F1 test.

"The first problem is your neck. You need to train for months to be able to hold it up," he said.

"They give you a day or a half a day, but you're not going to do anything and nobody is going to look at you."

Montoya recalls his first formula one test, when he was a full time hopeful racer in the F1 support category at the time, F3000.

"I trained for two and a half months non-stop. I had equipment against a bed and I could move the bed with my head.

"When I went into a formula one car, I couldn't do five laps in a row," he added.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Whoever wrote that needs a lesson that many of us learned in the 3rd grade: the difference between "their" and "there" and "they're"....
It's from the SpeedTV website......you know, the NA$CAR TV channel website.....NA$CAR and grammar........
Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
It's from the SpeedTV website......you know, the NA$CAR TV channel website.....NA$CAR and grammar........
LOL....that's funny. Is our children educated?
Old 05-19-2008, 09:12 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

LOL....that's funny. Is our children educated?
Dunno....tune in next week for Pinks and Livin' the Lo Life and find out.

Quick Reply: Kyle Busch to drive a Toyota F1 car