Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nasa Race clothing rules?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 06:10 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

For suits, one brand i like is Sparco. Sometimes dealers have close-outs on old models so you can get a decent discount if they have a style and design and size you want.

As for heat, most vendors sell a an upscale model that is supposed to be more comfortable and/or cooler. Some of these things are really pajama like. They key is to go to places to try them on if you can, or work with a vendor that will send out several that you can return.

As to heat and hydration, note that Gatorade made a lot of fuss about this at the Daytoma 500 and now have an expensive, branded drink system (GIDS) sold by BSR. Not really light and small enough for Porsche road race applications. I hope to install a Camelbak in my car-- I think it will help. The CEO of Camelbak is a college classmate of mine, so I should probably be supportive since I can really use a drink system in the car.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:20 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deleted, my mistake
Old 05-08-2008, 09:37 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

I have a bad habit of talking in absolutes here, while making big assumtions.

Yes there are differences in suits, but in the context of the question I don't think the OP was considering a $2k+ stand 21 suit, when looking at the inexpensive 2-pc suits. 944cup drivers are usually on a smaller budget than a Cup car guy so that was implied in the answer too.

Since I live in ATL, I knew I needed a cool suit regardless of the suit, so I bought a less expensive suit and the cooler for half the price of an expensive suit.

John, if you are making your inital investment in racing, and drive in any heat, I recommend you budget for a cool shirt and buy the best suit you can with the remaining $$'s.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:46 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

You're right about budget being an issue. I have started to look at cool-shirts. I have one question about them. With a 1 piece suit, how do you run the hoses into the cool suit?
Old 05-08-2008, 10:18 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I've never seen it happen, but I hear that guys do get dinged for socks
I have seen people dinged for socks and small holes in their gloves.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

my .02, for the budget racer....

skip the cool shirt for now, get a camel back, or a 1/2 gallon igloo drink cooler and some clear hose with the camel back bite valve. and secure it to the cage.

-get a few naca ducts for the windows, to move some cool air in the cabin.

the R3 or hybrid will allow you to use it in student's cars.
Hans won't work unless the students car has harnesses. (& most don't). (assuming you are instructor, or will be soon.)

get the 3 layer suit, best you can afford.

but if you must get a single layer suit, get the carbon X underwear.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:09 AM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Right now it looks as if I will try the 2 layer GF 4545 and see how it fits. Its SFI 5 and supposedly pretty light. Budget won't allow the cool shirt right now so I will probably go with a drink bottle
Old 05-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johntorg
Right now it looks as if I will try the 2 layer GF 4545 and see how it fits. Its SFI 5 and supposedly pretty light. Budget won't allow the cool shirt right now so I will probably go with a drink bottle
The SFI rating is a standard. It doesn't have much to do with weight. It has more to do with the amount of time the suit will protect you from a 2nd degree burn. 10-19 seconds for SFI 3.2A/5 IIRC.

The 545 is a very popular suit I know a number of guys who run it. Many of them are in the southeast running NASA too.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by johntorg
I think this was to cut down on the amount of dry-cleaning which might reduce the fire retardent nature of the suit. ...
I have a sparco and machine wash (gentle with woolite) and line dry my suit. I have done so for a while and it comes out fine. The fire resistant properties of nomex cannot be washed away by water.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:48 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I have a sparco and machine wash (gentle with woolite) and line dry my suit. I have done so for a while and it comes out fine. The fire resistant properties of nomex cannot be washed away by water.
+1 There was a good article about suits & washing etc. on one of the recent Racing magazines, can't remember which one it was but maybe someone else remembers?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:54 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for all the help. Re: the 2 ply comment, a lot of the SFI 3.2A/5 suits are 3 ply, so I thought the GF 2ply would be a little lighter, especially in the mid to low price range. I will be running in the DE at Roebling next weekend and will check out the suits with Discovery Parts. I will also try to get together with the SE region 44cup guys and pick their brains.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Mahler9th
Three Wheelin'

Received 156 Likes on 104 Posts

Something else to consider is that Grassroots Motorsports had a recent article on suits. I only skimmed it, but it seemed pretty good. I believe that NASA members nationwide get this magazine as a part of the deal ( I certainly do), so if you don't subscribe or have immediate access, perhaps you can find a friend/fellow racer nearby that has the issue. If you cannot lay your hands on it nearby, I probably still have it and could send it to you.

As for the heat, ventilation and in-car hydration will help. Pre-hydration and post re-hydration may be even more important. The cool shirt-type products are important if you drive in high heat index situations a lot, and/or for people whom have greater sensitivities than others. In my own case, I am pretty robust when it comes to heat, but I unfortunately waited for years before I installed a system, and now I know the error of my ways.

I have learned a lot about human thermoregulation and hydration during the past 6 months. I am by no means an expert, but the thoughtleaders with whom I am in frequent contact are. These include scientists at places like the Gatorade Sport Science Institute. They have done some work in racing.

Best of luck in finding a suit that meets your needs and enjoy the racing season.

- Mike
Porsche Racing Club #4
VP Marketing
Cantimer, Inc.
Old 05-08-2008, 06:19 PM
johntorg
Rennlist Member

I am a NASA member and do get GRM. I'll take a look for the article.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 AM
MarkM
Burning Brakes

John, I think your logic is backward on the 2 ply and 3 ply. The 3 ply will actually be cooler and feel lighter. Thats why the expensive suits breath better.

It is just like winter wear, the more layers the better, a big single heavy coat will get hot but layers moderate your temp better.

By the way you can run your cool suit hoses through a small hole in your pocket or through the bottom zipper.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:45 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lighter suits are lighter because of the construction of the suit and the materials used, not necessarily the number of layers.

For example. The now discontinued 2 layer GP2 suit by alpinestars was much lighter and cooler than any of the equivalently priced 3 layer suits that also had the FIA 8856-2000 rating.

Quick Reply: Nasa Race clothing rules?