Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIR or Mosport club race

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Struggling with this decision. I am leaning VIR but I love Mosport and dont want that region to get hosed or lose the date.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Yes, August at VIR is going to be interesting! I wonder if I can run double cool suits...
Oh frak, I forgot this. Im a typical european who melts above 80 degrees... Mosport is looking more inviting.... I'll need a full body cool suit if I run VIR.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:32 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 832 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Yes, August at VIR is going to be interesting! I wonder if I can run double cool suits...
Time to invent the cool suit jockstrap.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:40 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

last year at the glen enduro it was HOT for that time of year. I think it was in the upper 80's and humid for our enduro (not the one that got rained out). I lost about 5 lbs in water weight just from that one race (no cool shirt). 1 1/2 hours in that heat is a lot to take.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
last year at the glen enduro it was HOT for that time of year. I think it was in the upper 80's and humid for our enduro (not the one that got rained out). I lost about 5 lbs in water weight just from that one race (no cool shirt). 1 1/2 hours in that heat is a lot to take.
I normally don't sweat (or sweat very minimally). At the Glen last year however, I was completely drenched after each practice session and after the sprint races. I drank as much water as I could and I still had a pounding headache due to dehydration. I wasn't terribly disappointed when the enduro for our group was shortened due to rain. I bought a cool suit the next weekend.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:28 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I'm signing up for both and seeing where the "D" field goes...that's where I'll be
looking at the limerock results, you will do just fine following (leading?) the E and F field as well To that end, make sure to keep some resources for Road America!
Old 05-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
I normally don't sweat (or sweat very minimally). At the Glen last year however, I was completely drenched after each practice session and after the sprint races. I drank as much water as I could and I still had a pounding headache due to dehydration. I wasn't terribly disappointed when the enduro for our group was shortened due to rain. I bought a cool suit the next weekend.
The flying lizard guys told us that the cool suit isn't enough for them - in addition they also stuff medical ice packs down their suits. Problem in the boxster is that it generates a lot of heat in the cockpit more than my cup car does. I know the NASCAR guys have an A/C system, but that system is 2-3K+
Old 05-06-2008, 02:23 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Phil,
your car might get warm, but nothing like mine. Try running the pipes right through the cockpit, and then park the muffler right on the passenger floor! I really suffer in that car, and I've gone away from using the cool suit because once the ice runs out that shirt is so heavy that it's worse than a regular tee, so I just live with it. Thinking to buy a lighter driving suit, though.
As for VIR, if you've not been there, it's the hands on choice. I've done the 13 hour enduro twice, it's a fantastic circuit and I'm hoping that NJ turns out like that. The Boxster will be a joy down there.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by constaf
looking at the limerock results, you will do just fine following (leading?) the E and F field as well To that end, make sure to keep some resources for Road America!
I can't wait for Road America. I'm planning on gluing myself to your rear bumper and stealing all your secrets. For now, it's endless hours on xbox.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:59 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
Phil,
your car might get warm, but nothing like mine. Try running the pipes right through the cockpit, and then park the muffler right on the passenger floor! I really suffer in that car, and I've gone away from using the cool suit because once the ice runs out that shirt is so heavy that it's worse than a regular tee, so I just live with it. Thinking to buy a lighter driving suit, though.
As for VIR, if you've not been there, it's the hands on choice. I've done the 13 hour enduro twice, it's a fantastic circuit and I'm hoping that NJ turns out like that. The Boxster will be a joy down there.
Frank - Buy the new sparco X-Light... it's a great suit. Do you still have a shirt that works with my system? Hopefully by VIR I'll be a few pounds lighters by then....I think the weight & lack of exercise doesn't help - I've started to realize that being being a supersized wookie in a boxster dont work to my advantage. 10 years ago I ran 8 miles with full combat gear, now I can hardly run 8 meters.

Hot dog eating contest, Im in..
Old 05-06-2008, 03:02 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

There is an Alpine Stars suit that I'm watching, seems they're going out at under $800. I have two cool suit shirts, but they both stink. Literally.
We gotta get you in shape, too. Doesn't take as long as you might think.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Jerseybean
GT3 Track Junkie
Rennlist Member

Did you book a hotel yet? Im on the waitlist for the a Villa at VIR. I also need to think about doing a VIR event before August - anyone have a good saturday/Sunday event?
Old 05-06-2008, 03:17 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

You can learn VIR easily enough, don't sweat it.
And here's another consideration; I'm hearing that the title sponsor at Mosport will be Continental Tires, and they will have an exclusive on tires. You'd better bring what you need, as Woodman will not be present this year.
Old 05-06-2008, 03:35 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most likely going to Mosport. Can't...take...the...heat.....
Old 05-06-2008, 04:29 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

The hottest race that I ever drove was 90+......at Mosport

Quick Reply: VIR or Mosport club race