Did a CHIN Motorsports event yesterday at Sebring - Report & Video inside

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:53 AM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Juha G
Hey man! Nice meeting you! Although I cannot agree that I find Asian men attractive I do like Asian women. I travel a lot to Singapore, Hong Kong and mainland China due to work so nowadays asians feel more like my neighbours than people from far far away...heh!

My friend who you met at the gas station as well (the 260lbs ballast I mentioned earlier) was kind enough to drive my 993 back to Palm Beach so I had the luxury of cruising back home in my BMW wagon.

See you again at the next event!

Hahhah! Very much possible, the chief Instructor (Chip V.) remembers me from my GT3 days as he has/had one him self as well. Maybe he told the marshalls to put in a black flag for me once in a while....

...just kidding of course! I deserved both flags!

LOL. Chip still goes ?

I'm so glad to see you are no longer traveling to track events just for the hotels ... The track time will do you well , even if you attract Asian Drovers..........
Old 05-05-2008, 08:47 AM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Were any open wheeled cars running in those groups?

IIRC, Dr Chin and friends, were running star mazda's in the fast run group...
-which some might think are hard to see...

(in fairness, other groups allow radicals and legend's, which are also hard to see, but they do have fenders.)
Old 05-05-2008, 09:42 AM
VERBOTN
Three Wheelin'

Juha:

Your car looks great look forward to seeing it at the track.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 AM
CB Red 964
Advanced

Thanks for the report. Been meaning to try Chin and your email has inspired me to give it a try. Been getting my track time mostly through NASA.

Good luck catching the Flying Finn. Heard he is running 28s now. His "Flying Finn Fast Lap" video is still the best Sebring training video I have ever watched.
Old 05-05-2008, 01:12 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
LOL. Chip still goes ?

I'm so glad to see you are no longer traveling to track events just for the hotels ... The track time will do you well , even if you attract Asian Drovers..........
Yep, Chip was the chief instructor there.
I know, I gotta get loads of seat time so I can catch Petu one day! Remember I have far more capable car with Motons, re-gear etc. My disadvantege at the moment is between the seat and the steering wheel...

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
Were any open wheeled cars running in those groups?

IIRC, Dr Chin and friends, were running star mazda's in the fast run group...
-which some might think are hard to see...

(in fairness, other groups allow radicals and legend's, which are also hard to see, but they do have fenders.)
I didn't see any open wheel cars but there were some proto's (with fenders) running in the faster(?) group

Originally Posted by Christian20
Juha:

Your car looks great look forward to seeing it at the track.
Thanks! Hope to see you there too!

Originally Posted by CB Red 964
Thanks for the report. Been meaning to try Chin and your email has inspired me to give it a try. Been getting my track time mostly through NASA.

Good luck catching the Flying Finn. Heard he is running 28s now. His "Flying Finn Fast Lap" video is still the best Sebring training video I have ever watched.
Definately try them out! It's unbelievable how much track time you can get!

Regarding Flying Finn's lap times at Sebring, I believe he's done a 2:24 lap already (still waiting to get my hands on the video so I can host it on my website).
Be aware though, I have revealed his secret to the fast laps; he lets the Stig drive his 993 (I was able to sneak upon his garage during the Homestead DE):

Old 05-05-2008, 02:27 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Hahhhh! he wears the helmet in order to hide the hockey puck damage .......
Old 05-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Hahhhh! he wears the helmet in order to hide the hockey puck damage .......
Hahah!! But you know, the real damage is internal, that's why he's so fast! LMAO!

The truth is, you don't have to have a last name that ends with -NEN in order to be fast; it's enough to be a FINN!

That being said, I have begun to wonder that maybe I'm a swede after all due to being so damn slow at the track and not been able to handle the booze lately like I used to... (no offense to Swedes, they are a great bunch of people!)
Old 05-05-2008, 05:21 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Juha,

Good seeing you at Homestead and your car looks sweet. How are the Hoosiers holding up?

Sounds like you had a great time. I'm heading to Sebring with PBOC in a couple weeks and cannot wait.

-Skip
Old 05-05-2008, 05:37 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,628 Likes on 755 Posts

Chin is great, very little traffic, as you can see.

Here is some film of our 2 Mustangs going around Sebring Toyo RA1 with 30+ sessions so we were running +/- 1:37 laptimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMr8nhE1BCk There was a little steering shuffle going on also, but only at 5m:55s, FF to there.

The white one with stock 250 RWHP motor was overheating and the black one with a COBRA 340RWHP was running on 7 Cylinders...

I post this just so you remember how good you have it in your P car , it is really the same, you just add 1001, 1002 in reaction by the car to whatever imput you give it

I wish I wasn't so cheap, I need to upgrade soon....
Old 05-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by swftiii
Juha,

Good seeing you at Homestead and your car looks sweet. How are the Hoosiers holding up?

Sounds like you had a great time. I'm heading to Sebring with PBOC in a couple weeks and cannot wait.

-Skip
Skip, nice seeing you too! What a sweet 911 you got there!!
I heat cycled out a set of Hoosiers on Saturday at Homestead and on Sunday I put on a brand new set. (that's why I was lapping 1:44s in traffic...)

The Hoosiers held up well even the two hour beating at the end of last Saturday at Sebring. I love these tires!!!

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
Chin is great, very little traffic, as you can see.

Here is some film of our 2 Mustangs going around Sebring Toyo RA1 with 30+ sessions so we were running +/- 1:37 laptimes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMr8nhE1BCk There was a little steering shuffle going on also, but only at 5m:55s, FF to there.

The white one with stock 250 RWHP motor was overheating and the black one with a COBRA 340RWHP was running on 7 Cylinders...

I post this just so you remember how good you have it in your P car , it is really the same, you just add 1001, 1002 in reaction by the car to whatever imput you give it

I wish I wasn't so cheap, I need to upgrade soon....
Yes, that's one of the nice things about Porsches, they are ment to be driven!

I just wish I could run in the same group as you guys, it looks like you were able to get many clean laps, unlike in group 1 where there would allways be someone you needed to pass...
I was only lapping 2:40s but I think I could've been closer to low 30s if I had any clean runs...
Old 05-05-2008, 10:12 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Be aware though, I have revealed his secret to the fast laps; he lets the Stig drive his 993 (I was able to sneak upon his garage during the Homestead DE):

Nice! I saw that Finn was using this picture as his avatar and wanted to ask him about it.... You confirmed my suspicions that he indeed is associated with Stig!

I still miss your white GT3 (pure sex on wheels) - but that 993 looks really good as well!

Thanks for the write-up.

-Blake
Old 05-05-2008, 10:55 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chin allows things PCA would never consider, passing in corners for one. I was skeptical at first, but people respect the point-by rule and everyone is cautious in the corners. It is good experience (and fun) for those that have never done it.

I am not sure instruction is of the same caliber as PCA, but that can be variable from one event to the next, even with PCA.

I now prefer Chin to PCA just because of the track time and the freedom to pass anywhere.
Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have lots of track days with Chin and also instruct with them. Mark and everyone else run a great weekend. You just can't compare the track time with ANY other organization. If you can hang around, the best session of them all is the last session on Sunday at Sebring. It's EMPTY.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Juha, great to hear everything went well!

I looked my (very crazy) calendar for summer and it seems there's one Chin event I can squeeze in. That two hr session souns awesome, glad to hear tires held real well. With 260 lbs ballast I'm impressed about the brakes & tires holding...

Talking about avatars... Yours gotta be one of the all time coolest I've ever seen!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:42 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

...Regarding Flying Finn's lap times at Sebring, I believe he's done a 2:24 lap already...
Correction! 2:26.91 is my best at Sebring.

Quick Reply: Did a CHIN Motorsports event yesterday at Sebring - Report & Video inside