Sponsored by:

Data aquisition systems......

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 12:07 AM
ronbo56
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Data new - car old

I am looking for a GPS-based data system. My car is a 1986 944, so no fancy electronics on board.

In addition to GPS track maps and positional data, I want accelerometer, RPM, throttle position, steering angle and brakes (on/off at first, pressure when I can afford the sensor). I'd also like to be able to capture gear shifts, either directly or by calculation. I'd like the option to add suspension sensors but I'm nowhere near needing that yet. I'm not interested in a display - too much going on in the cockpit as it is.

I'm thinking DL-1, but I am aware that there are alternatives. Anyone have experience putting a data system into a stone age car like mine?
Old 05-11-2008, 01:05 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 169 Posts

Any of the GPS based systems that have the ability to add sensors will do "close" to what you want. The only way to be accurate in an older car (my car was made 8 years before yours) IMO is to have the proper sensors mounted. I looked at a lot of options and chose the AIM MXL Pista with GPS/Brake pressure/Throttle position/waiting to be installed Steering sensor. Video is a great tool with integrated Data, so look and see what a system like Trackvision will work with also..
Old 05-11-2008, 02:33 AM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^^
What does something like that cost and how much does install run...ball park on this...

Thanks,
James
Old 05-11-2008, 02:59 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar928fan
^^^^^^
What does something like that cost and how much does install run...ball park on this...

Thanks,
James
Depending on how many sensors you want to add.

They come with RPM, wheelspeed, 2 temps. G-sensors are internal.

The base price for the MXL Pista is 1999.

Extra sensors are 70-250 depending on what you are looking at recording.

Some other little things that are needed cost about 150 bucks.

GPS if you want it. You can do track mapping without it as long as a beacon and wheelspeed are setup. 599.00

Install is anywhere from 5-10 hours depending on access to some areas of the car where the sensors need to be installed and how good the person is at teh setup.

Total cost if you have soemone do it would be 3000-3500. You could do it yourself for closer to 2700-3000.

The system would also be ready to expand and collect a lot more data as your needs expand.
Old 05-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ronbo56

I'm thinking DL-1, but I am aware that there are alternatives. Anyone have experience putting a data system into a stone age car like mine?
In some ways it is a bit easier since you don't have to deal with all the extra stuff hanging off the engine.

Most of the install time that shops will end up charging is for finding and mounting the sensors. If you've got some mechanical knowledge you'll be able to do most if not all of it yourself.

Easier parts of the install are things like oil pressure and water temp. The ones that are sometimes difficult are steering angle and throttle position because they usually require a bracket or something to be fabricated.

--Joe
Old 05-11-2008, 08:58 AM
phils87951
Instructor

Originally Posted by ronbo56
I am looking for a GPS-based data system. My car is a 1986 944, so no fancy electronics on board.

In addition to GPS track maps and positional data, I want accelerometer, RPM, throttle position, steering angle and brakes (on/off at first, pressure when I can afford the sensor). I'd also like to be able to capture gear shifts, either directly or by calculation. I'd like the option to add suspension sensors but I'm nowhere near needing that yet. I'm not interested in a display - too much going on in the cockpit as it is.

yes,
I installed the G2X in mine although not with sensors (steering, brake pressure etc.) and it works great.

Super easy hook up especially if you already have a piggyback system like the SMT6

Couple that with Track Vision and your set.
The racepack has all the input sensors your thinking of and best of all its basically a P&P setup, pretty slick, everything running thru 1 cable.

I got my G2X last year, The new IQ3 is really slick with 3 axis G readings and a whole slew of great features.
My OEM dashboard is a thing of the past.
you now get the truth about your driving, (the good and the bad, LOL).
video and data together is an awesome way to review reality VS perception.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:30 AM
Phokaioglaukos
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

G2X is about $950 for the base setup with GPS and track mapping. Adding the throttle position sensor, brake pressure and steering position sensor is about another $950. I have not done stage two.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:54 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

the G2X steering-throttle-brake1&2 package is $1395 from them, you could probably source your own sensors for less. You can now buy the G2X without the display for $700 which is a nice option if you've already got a laptimer..
Old 05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
tfro
Advanced

The USM is an option to consider for the G2X if you want the steering/throttle/brake setup a little bit cheaper and you are somewhat handy. The USM itself is ~160 and gives you 4 inputs, plus you'll need a vnet adapter cable at ~60. Then its just wiring and sensors. Not sure about porsches, but many BMWs have throttle sensors already that you can hook into and some have steering sensors also (although using them is harder). For my car, it's about $700 to get throttle/steering and one brake pressure, including all the misc. hardware to actually hook up the sensors and wires.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:42 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Phokaioglaukos
G2X is about $950 for the base setup with GPS and track mapping. Adding the throttle position sensor, brake pressure and steering position sensor is about another $950. I have not done stage two.
I will be checking your set up at the Glen..... if you don't mind......
Old 05-12-2008, 08:46 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I will be checking your set up at the Glen..... if you don't mind......

Paolo, don't underestimate the importance of the brake pressure sensor. Mapping brake pressure to speed will provide you very useful information to shave time off your laps. By the way, will you make it to the Glen for the Club Race weekend?
Old 05-12-2008, 08:53 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by constaf
Paolo, don't underestimate the importance of the brake pressure sensor. Mapping brake pressure to speed will provide you very useful information to shave time off your laps. By the way, will you make it to the Glen for the Club Race weekend?
Fred, thanks for the input, I am totally confused on what system to buy, so I am not buying anything, yet......

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend the race at the Glen, I have a conference in Detroit. Have fun with Sean and Gary and be safe.......

Quick Reply: Data aquisition systems......