Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May be silly, but....U-Haul car trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:00 PM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a u-haul trailer for my last DE. (first time with a trailer forme), It seemed heavy. I got the front lip of car caught over the front stop. Had to back the car in and couldn't get out cause the fender on that side didn't go down. Climbed over and ripped my console off. Had no problem with it doing 80 mph. Got home and bought a new trailer. it served it's purpose. I do about 5-6 DE a year adn I feel good having my own.

I am now workin out proper tongue weight and the best way to toe the car down.

Sprung or unsprung tow points? Anyone?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

It works!!!!

Not as cool as owning one, but it gets the job done. Had to stand a few jabs from friends, like "Nice trailer!" followed by a belly laugh, but worked out fine.

Had to back up the Porsche into the trailer since U-Haul makes a big deal about putting the engine end on the front of the trailer. But, looking at all the trailers in the lot at WG, the relationship of the car to the trailer axles seems appropriate even if I put the car in head first.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 PM
schvetkaaks
Pro

I probably would have rented a trailer, too, but I don't have a place to store the car, either, so the storage of the car is the trailer (enclosed). I have to pay for storage either way, so I might as well get a trailer...
Old 05-21-2008, 09:44 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Certainly works to make the decision to own a trailer easier, Todd. A trailex is still on my Christmas list, just don't know if I'll pull the trigger. Until then, it's U-Haul for me.

BTW, I want to thank everyone that posted. It made me fell more comfortable not just in driving the trailer over the long distance, but it allowed me to hold my head up as I drove the U-Haul trailer into the paddock.

Last edited by Palting; 05-21-2008 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 10:09 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
........., but it allowed me to hold my head up as I drove the U-Haul
One of the benefits of trailering is that if you use magnetic or vinyl numbers, you can put them on before you leave while the car is nice and clean. Without them, some people will think that you are taking your broken down Porsche home. With them, at least to most of the little boys you pass, you are a god!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

LOL!!!!!

Thanks for the tip. I think I'll actually do it!
Old 05-21-2008, 10:25 PM
Animus
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used one. Worked well. I made good time and didn't have any bad problems. My front lip went over the front tire strap down, but i realised and got it free before i bent it.
Attached Images  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Mike S.
Pro

Originally Posted by 007DT
As Flying Finn said... Ok unless your car is too low.

I recently purchased a used trailer, but previously used a U-Haul all prior to adding the RS Splitter, etc. (If you have any aftermarket splitter forget it! My car was lowered and I tore up the bumper with the trailer. It wasn't the clearance pulling the car up that was the big issue. It was actually where the front wheels had to sit to strap them in and the "stopper" that tore my car up. If you have the clearance then they are OK, Heavy but OK.
I've used the U-Haul several times. You can remove the front stop (2 bolts on each), inch the car forward so the splitter or spoiler lip is forward enough, reinstall the stops, then inch the car forward until it hits the stop. Now you're ready to install the front tire hold down straps. Reverse to get car off. Takes 5-10 extra minutes but you get the full height stop to wedge your front tires against.

Surge brake on last rental wasn't properly adjusted and it would release quickly at 2-3 mph before coming to a stop which would feel like somebody tapping me from behind.

Mike

P.S. My local U-Haul guy would only charge me 2 days for a later PM pickup on day 1 and a return to his lot by the time he opened on day 4. $100 + tax for this rental IIRC.

Last edited by Mike S.; 05-22-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 PM
greg911
Intermediate

Has anyone figured out the cost of purchasing vs. rental and at what point it becomes feasible to purchase vs. rent?
Old 05-22-2008, 02:22 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Mine cost me $40/day, picked up Thursday returned Sunday night, total about $120. Didn't get insurance since I have comprehensive on the car and truck, but insurance is $20-80 per day depending on coverage.

So, assume 5 three day DE's a year for me, that's $600.00 a year. You can add additional gas for the heavier trailer vs the lighter trailex if you want.

If you get the all aluminum trailex, get it used/new, the gossip is that you can sell for the same amount of money. That's $6-8K initial outlay. Figure loss of investment use of the money, the maintenance cost which I have no idea what it would be, and I think the money reasoning goes towards renting for me.

But, the value of being cool and owning your own trailer........PRICELESS!!
Old 05-22-2008, 02:54 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

The U-Haul is a viable option that alot of people use. I would have stuck with going that route but I also haul my sons jeep around so the thing gets used 1 to 2 times a month. The cost of a decent steel trailer is about 2500 all in with tie downs, and if you do not have the space to store the trailer count on an additional 50 a month. When I rented, I had the trailer from Friday through Monday (returned after work as the U-haul was closed on Sunday) and it was around 250. I DE about 8 times a year now so the costs for rental would be fairly high 2500 per year which is the cost of the trailer. So using my numbers, looks like it breaks even at about 1-1/2 years, so it is dependent on how often you DE or race.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:15 PM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

For me the storage costs of my own trailer would cost about the same as renting the Uhaul and they maintain the things for *free*. I look like a noob every time but fuggit.

Quick Reply: May be silly, but....U-Haul car trailer?