Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May be silly, but....U-Haul car trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts
Default May be silly, but....U-Haul car trailer?

I know it's not as classy as your own trailer, but is it, like, real stupid? I only do about 3-5 DE's a year, and my car is still street legal. The prices of trailers, even used, are making me think twice about owning one.

The only reason I am even considering a trailer is that I make my DE's a family event, and I think it would be nicer if the whole family drove up in a single vehicle rather than two separate cars. So, is the U-Haul car trailer idea a stupid idea?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:25 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My son-in-law has rented a U-Haul trailer many times to take his car to the track.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:29 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
My son-in-law has rented a U-Haul trailer many times to take his car to the track.
I see one or two U-Haul trailers every DE. It's a popular solution for those that don't own trailers, or have the room to store one.

-td
Old 04-28-2008, 03:29 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm on a "same boat" with you. I don't have a space to keep the trailer but would like to trailer my car to the track. To save the tyres and to make full weekend trips to Sebring a family trips. My boys both want to come (I can;t have anyone sitting in the back) and wife would be ok too.

I'm thinking u-haul also and know couple of guys who have done it. IIRC, if your car is really low, there could be issues but otherwise why not? Friend of mine who buys used cars from all over the place uses them and he has not mentioned of having any problems either.

Are they so crappy that they fall in pieces or?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I used one once and it was fine. No issues at all. Juts check it out when you pick it up.
Old 04-28-2008, 03:55 PM
007DT
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

As Flying Finn said... Ok unless your car is too low.

I recently purchased a used trailer, but previously used a U-Haul all prior to adding the RS Splitter, etc. (If you have any aftermarket splitter forget it! My car was lowered and I tore up the bumper with the trailer. It wasn't the clearance pulling the car up that was the big issue. It was actually where the front wheels had to sit to strap them in and the "stopper" that tore my car up. If you have the clearance then they are OK, Heavy but OK.

Some obvious things are to look at the trailer to see what condition it is in prior to renting it and potentually endangering someone else or your P-Car.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the quick replies. I've never trailered a car, and I wanted to be sure the U-Haul idea doesn't mean I'm taking inordinate risks.

I may end up doing what you did, Dave. Start off with U-Haul until the "right" trailer comes along, or until it becomes absolutely neccesary.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:21 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 007DT
As Flying Finn said... Ok unless your car is too low.

I recently purchased a used trailer, but previously used a U-Haul all prior to adding the RS Splitter, etc. (If you have any aftermarket splitter forget it! My car was lowered and I tore up the bumper with the trailer. It wasn't the clearance pulling the car up that was the big issue. It was actually where the front wheels had to sit to strap them in and the "stopper" that tore my car up. If you have the clearance then they are OK, Heavy but OK.

Some obvious things are to look at the trailer to see what condition it is in prior to renting it and potentually endangering someone else or your P-Car.
I have RS splitters...

Could you back up in to the railer or use 2x8" under the wheels or just leave the car slightly back so the splitters don't hit the stopper?
Old 04-28-2008, 04:26 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a few uses/year, it's a no brainer. Everyone I know who owns a trailer has regular maintenance issues with the trailer. You need it 3 day a year, not 365!

As my car becomes a more capable track car, it becomes less and less of a car that I want to drive TO the track. I've not trailered yet, but my time will come.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using a Uhaul next month to bring my S2 down to VIR from NH. I'll let you know how it goes.
Kevin
Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 PM
aben8057
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U-haul all the way!!!!
I am waiting for the right trailer to come around, plus my HOA is a PITA about trailers so I have to store it at my other home.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:56 PM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I have RS splitters...

Could you back up in to the railer or use 2x8" under the wheels or just leave the car slightly back so the splitters don't hit the stopper?
I've used a U-Haul about a ten times in the past few years as far as Tampa to VIR. I do as FF suggested and place mitered 4 X 6s all the way in front so that the bumper sits above the front of the trailer. U-Haul even has a web page describing the process for loading lowered cars.

http://www.uhaul.com/towing/special_loading.aspx

The other problem area is getting it over the raised back of the skid. They are angled up on the inside to keep the tires on them. I have to either back the trailer up to a hill or jack up the tongue (or both) so I can load / unload pretty flat.

I would never even try it if I had a low splitter on but I know a number of people who have to take them off before they can load in their trailer.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:27 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

fyi, saw 2 guys with these this weekend, and they look pretty good... and they were amazingly light

no affiliation, etc:

http://www.raceramps.com/store/shopexd.asp?id=73

(but wood is clearly cheaper)

-also, fwiw, I back my truck up the typical black plastic ramps to raise the trailer, and lower the ramp angle...
Old 04-28-2008, 06:39 PM
007DT
Drifting

I guess you could back the car up the trailer but the angle of the ramp would be more of an issue then with a front splitter hitting the ground. Even as it stands I had to decrease the angle of the ramps by adding 2X6's and finding a hill to back up off of not to hit my *** end. In addition the trailer is already heavy as hell so you'd have a ton (pun intended) of tongue weight.

I think the trailers are OK if you can get your car on it. There's Lowered cars; & there's Lowered P-Cars with front splitters.
Old 04-28-2008, 06:53 PM
007DT
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
I have RS splitters...

Could you back up in to the trailer or use 2x8" under the wheels or just leave the car slightly back so the splitters don't hit the stopper?
The way that the wheels lock in is you have to place them all the way up to the stopper. It is the type that wraps around the tire. However you could always for go that approach, not pull it up all the way and use your own staps to secure the car. That would work.

Again, U-Haul trailers sit A Lot higher than standard car/race trailers so the angle to get your car up on it is severe in comparison.

Quick Reply: May be silly, but....U-Haul car trailer?