Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

May be silly, but....U-Haul car trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 06:54 PM
HooliganX
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used U-Haul for the 996 GT3 with no problems round trip from Orange County to Laguna Seca.

I did have to use two stacked 2x8's under the ramps to get the car onto the trailer.

Something IMPORTANT to remember is that even though you have a reservation, they do NOT guarantee to have the trailer in stock when you go to pick it up.

I made reservations two months in advance. When I went to pick up the trailer, they claimed one had been reported stolen and the other was 2 days late in being returned. We eventually found one available 20 miles away but it was a scare as I saw my carefully planned schedule unravel.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:26 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used one for years (5-6 times a year). Never had a problem with them.

What you might want to do is take it home and play with getting you car on the trailer. I used some 2x10's to get the front wheels over the front wheel stop. They were like small ramps and I even cut out a place to pull the over the tire strap through. The other thing I did was make some long ramos of 2x10 to help get the car on the trailer. You just need to support them, which I did by pulling out the trailer ramps and placing 2x material between them.

On the downside, I've had a friend that had two flat tires on two different occasions. He had to wait 1-3 hours for U-Haul service to come and replace the tire since they have no spare. They use a 15 1/2'' tire, which you can't buy any where.

Maybe a standard 15'' spare would work to get you there and then call U-Haul to get it fixed. find one with a similar diameter and load rating. You'll save yourself a lot of time and headache changing it yourself.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:32 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't buy the argument that people have lots of trouble with their own trailers, so you might as well rent.... A trailer is a trailer, and they will ALL have problems.

Here is what I did back in 2002 in advance of a major roadtrip: (my Rennlist post from June 2002)

"I just trailered my 94 Speedster over 8000 miles on a cross country trip. I purchased a steel "Big Tex" Diamond Back Car Hauler for $2400 (Model DM70). It weighs @1800lbs and the deck w/beaver tail is 6'11" by 18'. I had some local truck accessory guys add a 4' high steel rock/debris guard to the front ($400 addition). The 4' ramps that came with it were not long enough, so I opted for the 7' diamond steel ramps for $85 more. With the Speedster, my total load was @4800lbs and I was towing it with a Land Rover Series II Discovery (tow max 5000lbs). I had absolutely no problems and the car is still in CONCOURS condition (not a scratch from debris as I am meticulous). I originally looked into Trailex open trailers but could not justify the $7K. My biggest fear was that my SUV would not be able to handle the weight of steel, but it proved no problem at all. I highly recommend a steel trailer for DE events."

A year later, I sold the traile for around $2000. That would put my "rental cost" of the trailer at about $500. Due to this high resale value, I think the "buy" route for a steel trailer is completely worth it...

Good luck!
-Blake

Here is a picture from 2002:
Attached Images  
Old 04-29-2008, 09:49 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a uhaul auto transport without any problems. Make sure you track down the newer lighter aluminum one. It's wider and a lot better. It is a little high so if you have a low car be prepared to build up the angle or find a slope.

I actually like the trailer a lot. BTW, I towed it with my Cayenne S.
Old 04-29-2008, 09:59 AM
jimculp
Shop Rat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used them several times. Make sure to check your straps at every gas stop and have the cars secured with the chain they provide too.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:08 AM
sbelles
I'm in....
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by jimculp
I've used them several times. Make sure to check your straps at every gas stop and have the cars secured with the chain they provide too.
+1 obviously you should check the straps with any trailer but if you load the car up on a U-Haul with hot tires the front tire cradles will loosen up considerably after the tires cool down.
Old 04-29-2008, 11:41 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 386 Likes on 224 Posts

I used to use them all the time before I bought my own. All the advice here is sound- make sure you check it out throughly before you accept; buy a few 2X8s to carve up to get your car on the trailer and to put under the front tires before cinching down. Give it a short check ride after loading and check it thorughly every time you stop.

Soon enough you're going to say- what a PITA I need a trailex!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sbelles
I have to either back the trailer up to a hill or jack up the tongue (or both) so I can load / unload pretty flat.
I also jack up the tongue (20 rotations) and park on a slight incline in order to get my lowered 944 on my trailer without scraping the bottom of the car. I find that jacking up the tongue is far easier to deal with than hauling lumber to the racetrack.

Query to the Rennlist collective - is there any harm in jacking up the tongue as sbelles and I do?

IIRC, most if not all U-Haul trailers have surge brakes - that way renters do not need to install an electronic brake controller in their SUV's for towing once in a lifetime. I am not a fan of surge brakes on trailers -- I believe that electronic brakes are far superior and more effective. Just some food for thought.

That said, besides U-Haul, there are trailer places that will rent open trailers. And if you have an electronic brake controller installed in your truck/SUV, they will rent you a trailer with electronic brakes instead of surge brakes. Perhaps you can check into that...

-Z-man.
Old 04-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for all the insights! Great people, great forum!

Yup, I got the heavy towing package with electric brake connectors when I got the Suburban. As usual, my wishing got ahead of practicality . Just in case I ever want to tow my house .
Old 04-29-2008, 12:26 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin135
I'm using a Uhaul next month to bring my S2 down to VIR from NH. I'll let you know how it goes.
Kevin
Kevin-

Hey I use to live in Merrimack !!
If you're going to the 1st Settlers event look me up (#81 Black S2)
Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 PM
kevin135
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey Eddie,
Yes, I'm going to the FSR event. I'll definately look for you. My S2 is Linen Metalic Grey (looks gold). I'll be parked near the garages. Look for the cars with iRacing.com decals on them.
Kevin
Old 05-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

OK, went to the local U-Haul ofice to check out their trailers. Two fairly new ones on the lot. Seems easy enough, and practical. Just have a few 2x4's, and weight scales, new points learned courtesy of the other trailer threads and the collective Rennlist knowledge.

What's with the 45 mph speed limit? Is it for real? 55-65 mph OK? I may have 325 miles to go if I take it next DE!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
OK, went to the local U-Haul ofice to check out their trailers. Two fairly new ones on the lot. Seems easy enough, and practical. Just have a few 2x4's, and weight scales, new points learned courtesy of the other trailer threads and the collective Rennlist knowledge.

What's with the 45 mph speed limit? Is it for real? 55-65 mph OK? I may have 325 miles to go if I take it next DE!
325 miles doing 45 pmh is only 7.5 hrs or so, what's the problem...?

Weight scales?
Old 05-01-2008, 03:30 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by Palting
What's with the 45 mph speed limit? Is it for real? 55-65 mph OK?
Multiple trips with car on board with the cruise set at 70mph + and no issues

The last on I rented about a year ago was very nice. The ramps were super long compared to others I've rented in the past.

I asked a friend of mine who owns a U-Haul shop about buying one. He said they destory them once they reach a certain age. Used trailers turned into a big liability issue.
Old 05-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Thanks, guys.

By weight scales, I meant the lever contraption setup to get the tongue weight using bathroom scales and math.

45 mph for 325 miles will lull me to sleep!! Especially since I usually go 100+ on the deserted sections . 60-70mph and a healthy supply of coffee is more doable.

Quick Reply: May be silly, but....U-Haul car trailer?