Sponsored by:

2008 ONELAP of AMERICA FLM effort.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:47 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Leh how is the GTR handling? I heard that F-L hand trouble getting the suspension dialed in when they first started building those cars.
its real nice... and alota fun...

the mid engine is great with entry and mid corner.... u can really brake late and stuff it in the corner....

it likes to oversteer on the exit... which is due to the hp i guess... its really controllable.. and slides nice... we worked on it some.. and got most the exit oversteer out of it tho....

with the new Michilens.. it should be pretty dang hookd up....
Old 04-30-2008, 10:50 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hopefully we didn't bone anything up today, but we changed how the toe links are installed a little. Looked as though at droop (as in when under braking), the rear was toe-ing out. So there was some bump steer and it was going to be a little unstable under braking, particularly if there were bumps. I felt that a little a CMP, though the car is WAY better in terms of rear bump steer with the F-L mods than it was stock. Hopefully we got rid of the rest, but we'll see.

It was a minor change to re-align the toe links better with the rest of the suspension, so I don't think it could have hurt anything, anyway.

Right now I'm a bit miffed about the trailer wiring. F-L installed a 4 pin plug, but didn't do anything about the brakes. I had no idea until I researched this, but apparently Porsche uses a separate brake and turn signal bulb, whereas most other vehicles and all US non-commercial trailers use a single brake and turn signal bulb. You need a small converter box, which hopefully we can find in the morning. If not, I'll have one overnighted to South Bend and we'll have to install it (and the currently removed rear bumper) there.

The car is definitely good. Now I just hope this bug that's been kicking my butt all day is very temporary. *sigh* If I'm worse tomorrow, we've got big trouble.

--Donnie
Old 04-30-2008, 11:25 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

oh man... u got a lil cold....

well thats not good.. get that out the way man... musta been the wind!

i dont wana hafta be wearing a SARS mask while driving down the interstate with you...
Old 05-01-2008, 01:00 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kingleh
it was Ron adee... full tube frame car... carbon "Viper" shell.. doesnt even have doors... they hafta climb out the windows.... it has a chevy engine.. twin turbo.. 900hp.... 315s up front 345s rear..... sequential gear box... so... 'street' car is a stretch!!!

i ran a mid 45 yesterday on a very green track... we were the only ones on it the whole day (other then a 1950s F1 car doing 5 laps).. and it had rained the 2 days prior.... with a fresh set up Michelins and good rubber laid down... i could see a low 44 possibly a hi 43....

the fastest car that will be out there ran a 40 there during the testdays.. it a factory Dodge effort with their new ACR... and engine modified by Hennessy.... with their Factory Driver.... who used to race open wheel..... we just wont have his pace... or a couple others.... we would need a ALMS spring motor for that!!!...

keep in mind.. this is all on the new track config.. with the increasing radius turn in the back section.....

DONNIE?... alms sprint motors are only like 100k!? overnight one?
Oh, ok, well if it has all that, then it makes sense. Maybe Cory Freidman will let you borrow the Rolex Cup, slap some PS2's on it and put a hurtin on them.

I just drove that new configuration, I had a lot of fun on it. You guys would do a lot better with a nice wing on the back.

That ACR is going to be a monster. But I think with about 500 hp and some nice aero you could beat it down. At least on a track like CMP that somewhat negates big hp advantages.
Old 05-01-2008, 09:05 AM
85Gold
Rennlist Member

Received 814 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by djb_rh
Hopefully we didn't bone anything up today, but we changed how the toe links are installed a little. Looked as though at droop (as in when under braking), the rear was toe-ing out. So there was some bump steer and it was going to be a little unstable under braking, particularly if there were bumps. I felt that a little a CMP, though the car is WAY better in terms of rear bump steer with the F-L mods than it was stock. Hopefully we got rid of the rest, but we'll see.

It was a minor change to re-align the toe links better with the rest of the suspension, so I don't think it could have hurt anything, anyway.

Right now I'm a bit miffed about the trailer wiring. F-L installed a 4 pin plug, but didn't do anything about the brakes. I had no idea until I researched this, but apparently Porsche uses a separate brake and turn signal bulb, whereas most other vehicles and all US non-commercial trailers use a single brake and turn signal bulb. You need a small converter box, which hopefully we can find in the morning. If not, I'll have one overnighted to South Bend and we'll have to install it (and the currently removed rear bumper) there.

The car is definitely good. Now I just hope this bug that's been kicking my butt all day is very temporary. *sigh* If I'm worse tomorrow, we've got big trouble.

--Donnie

Donnie,

Very common to have to install a converter box as all imports have seperate brake and tail light circuits. I thought I was the only one burning midnight oil gettting ready I am glad to see some others are in the same boat.
I was changing oil, installing a race seat, building loading ramps for the borrowed trailer, and looking for a serpantine belt. Porsche doesn't have a 996 GT3 belt anywhere short of Germany.

Onward and upward will see you all tomorrow in South Bend.

Peter
Old 05-01-2008, 04:08 PM
racemor
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 47 Posts

Hey Donnie, JR sent me a link to the page. The car looks great!! Good luck to you and Leh!
Old 05-01-2008, 07:40 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Tom, good to see you here! Let me know what you think of the RS when Reid gets it out to Parade!

Then picture the Cayman in white with "Cayman GTR" graphics in blue and matching blue centers in the Fikses in my avatar.

Peter, glad I'm not the only one, too. Will be good to see you again! Yeah, I should have known better on that lighting thing. *sigh*

Leh, I'll bring you the mask. I suggest using it while on track, too, since there will still be some residual stuff floating around in the car.

Hmm, "residual stuff." Sounds awesome!

Going to pack up some movies.

--Donnie
Old 05-02-2008, 09:34 AM
racemor
Racer

Received 155 Likes on 47 Posts

Yep, looking forward to seeing the RS!
Old 05-02-2008, 12:21 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

i can see it now...

"some 'residual stuff' was found in the front running FLM Cayman GTR".....
Old 05-02-2008, 10:13 PM
kingleh
Burning Brakes

today was cool.... just chill.... got to see the new GTR... man.. its sweet.. then Donnie knows one of the guys that works at tirerack.... so we got a full tour of everything.... place is sik.... i also was hanging with the car&driver folks chekin out the GTR and they pulled it in for a photoshoot so they said i could come in and take pics too....

our car is good to go... we unloaded it.. drove it around...... took it to wallmart and got some food stuff.. and figured out how the heck we are going to fit everything in... even tho we have a trailer.. its gona be a tight squeeze....

Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 PM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here's my blog in case anyone cares to follow along at home:

http://www.deltajulietbravo.blogspot.com

--Donnie
Old 05-03-2008, 02:20 AM
imsafan
2nd Gear

keep the updates comin' - we're watchin'! I'm diggin the car all stickered up. should keep it that way for the summer and the lunch trips to Carrburrito....

Reid
Old 05-03-2008, 05:13 AM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

nice - tell the yates crew Hi for me

2003 - Lap puppy - in the 92 964 Cup car

matt and i will be back soon (i finally rebuilt the damn car )
Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 AM
djb_rh
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by imsafan
keep the updates comin' - we're watchin'! I'm diggin the car all stickered up. should keep it that way for the summer and the lunch trips to Carrburrito....
I'm diggin it stickered, too. What's even cooler is the way they "mark" the tires...it's a Michelin stencil that's curved to match the tire and sprayed with white paint. I really want to do that! It's sick, I know. Start looking for the Michelin stuff in vector format!

The stickers can stay until we figure out the best way to flare it so we can get more meat under there!

The event hasn't started and already I want more meat, more power, and less weight.

--Donnie
Old 05-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Awesome...nice pics.

Quick Reply: 2008 ONELAP of AMERICA FLM effort.....