Ran my first race today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:47 AM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ran my first race today!

After several years and a couple dozen DE events, I finally took the plunge this year into competitive racing.

Spent the last few months redoing all my suspension bits, harnesses, and other safety gear in the cold of my unfinished single car garage. Spent the last couple weeks stressing about all the little details that might make my car illegal to compete or would otherwise fail during the school or race day. This after I missed March SCCA comp school due to some roll cage issues.

Well, this time around I made it, not without stress, but the car ran really well. I did my comp school Friday and received my provisional license. Today I ran my first Novice race. We had a pretty damn big grid... 24 Novice closed wheel drivers here at the newly repaved Portland Int'l Raceway.

The group I ran with, the Int'l Conference of Sports Car Clubs (ICSCC), is a 55 year old regional sanctioning body in the Northwest. I have to say that everyone involved was EXTREMELY helpful and friendly, from registration to licensing to the marshalls and turn workers. They run many SCCA cross-over classes and my car is accepted as ITS prep. Made it through tech Friday night, and today got out there for the first time in true free passing.

No question it is way different than HPDE... just that much more to keep track of. I was complimented by a long time race driver on Friday for my on-track awareness. I needed it today, given that Conference sends all Novices out together in one race regardless of class prep level. We had one E30 and one E36 who had WAY more power than everyone else... kept it really interesting. My car held it's own against the many many spec Miatas that were present. Also had one gentlemen from Seattle, Glen, running his first ever race in an 89 944 turbo S. It was definitely nerve wracking, but I've had plenty of experience with blue flags during DE's in my slow '44, so I was ready. Everyone got through the first lap with no incidents. Only one spin the whole 30 minute race by a Miata. They do throw a full course yellow as well as send the safety car out for a lap with white flags to give drivers the full race experience and training. Definitely makes it more interesting. The safety vehicle split up the traffic a bit which gave me some running room. I've done a couple simulated race starts and restarts before but the real thing is just that much more intense. Everyone was very friendly and respectful, and I had some great racing with several of the spec Miata posse. My gas gauge is a little whacked and about half way in I realized my gas situation was sketchy. It was lame on my part, but I was crewless and had many things on my mind today. Thought I had enough this morning for the full day, but it was getting way down towards the red E line. Since I have to COMPLETE 3 full Novice races to get my full license, it wasn't about what place in I finished this classless mess, but merely about finishing. So I backed off throttle just to make sure I would finish. Nonetheless, I bested last years times by far and set my best ever PIR lap time during the race. Part of it is the new track config, part of it the car, and part of it dicing with those damn Miatas

Overall we had beautiful weather both days, a great experience for me! I was very happy after having so much tension regarding my preparation of the car. I have done everything myself save the roll cage for two years now. I am very particular, but nonetheless was nervous given the tech inspection and all of the little things I could have done to violate the rules.

But my 157K mile 944 ran like a champ yet again. I am very proud of the car, and extremely happy to have joined the competitive ranks. 2 more novice races and I will join my fellow 944 cup drivers for some PNW action.

I have to thank you guys for all the knowledge that is contained in this forum, and the words of encouragement that everyone shares. After all the hard work it was a huge release to get out there and have the car perform as intended. Now, I just have to work on the nut BEHIND the wheel!

I'll add some pics when my crew chief, 944 owner, and fellow lister Wipeout gets them posted for me.

To anyone who hasn't been here in a couple years, come on back to Portland. The new pavement is awesome. The new turn 7 is difficult. And they will continue to make improvements as the year goes on.

Last edited by schwank; 04-27-2008 at 01:06 AM.
Old 04-27-2008, 01:55 AM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Congrats on making your first race appearence and surviving all that you have to watch out there. It's great that you had some good racing weather in PDX too, as that is not always a given.

Don't let the Miatas get you down and end up yelling "Nemesis!" inside your helmet. Porsches are way cooler no matter what.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:24 AM
pcar928fan
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Way to go! It is a real thrill to be out there door handle to door handle through the corners, even if you are getting passed vs. doing the passing it is exciting!
Old 04-27-2008, 03:49 AM
Eric_k
Rennlist Member

Congrats on the first race. Fun, huh? The novice races are usually pretty entertaining to watch too. I wish I would have made it down this weekend, but the car wasn't ready. Are you going to do Pacific in 2 weeks?
Old 04-27-2008, 03:57 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,056 Likes on 578 Posts

congrats man that sounds awesome...glad you made it through without having to do a pit stop for fuel
Old 04-27-2008, 04:31 AM
fly2low
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds great
Old 04-27-2008, 08:38 AM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats Eric. Sounds like u did all the right things. Good luck in the next one.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:46 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you had fun.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

And the addiction grows.... Congrats!
Old 04-27-2008, 05:26 PM
TraqGear
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats! It is indeed a lot to process when you are making the cross from DE to racing. Good luck!

The apex of performance, comfort & safety since 2011.
All new racewear available now→ traqgear.com
Old 04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 812 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Old 04-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Congrats Eric!
Old 04-27-2008, 07:59 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Yeah was a great time. Went back this morning and worked a half day at the turn 6 flag station. Had quite a bit of action with several Pro3 E30's meeting the tire wall during morning qualifying. Then we had an RX7 go off twice, and flatten a tire. Due to the location, had to throw waving yellow, then waving white for safety car, then full course black due to the location and the nature of the tow operation. That can get a bit tiring when you have to wave a flag for like 10+ minutes. Also a great way to learn a lot not only about the track, but about racing in general from some very experienced safety workers.

Had a great time this weekend and definitely am addicted. Met a lot of really cool people and of course lots of fun cars to check out too. I actually am pretty beat and feel a big mental weight has been lifted. And THEN I had to unload all the damn stuff from the trailer and Suburban this afternoon. Shower, food, beer, sleep.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:44 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great stuff, Eric.
Never forget, "DE is to racing as paintball is to armed combat."

FWIW, it can be busy working as a solo racer. Fix yourself a pre-race check list and USE IT. Include fuel on the list. Fuel management is an art form. You need just enough to finish the race with a 10# buffer on your required weight. Most series weigh the podium finshers, and the good one will randomly weigh cars from the field too. It sucks to be a gallon of gas short of minumum weight.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:17 AM
Wipeout
Not Special
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A few Photos !

For most of his next events he'll have me in the pits instead of on the back stretch with the camera. Should make it easier on him...
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Ran my first race today!