Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damper adjustments vs spring rates?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 12:00 AM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting topic! By no means any sort of guru, but the less bump damping for increased spring rate does make sense. In Larry's example above, a spring will overshoot equilibirium when subjected to an impact. But when comparing 2 springs with differing spring rates and subjected to the same impact, the spring with the lower rate will overshoot the equilibrium compression by more than the stiffer spring. The damper's job is to control this excess motion, the spring with less rate would require more from the damper to control the motion than the stiffer spring. So less bump for the stiffer spring rate.

I have no data to back this up, but makes sense to my engineering mind. Now if I could only really tell how this feels on the track, I might be able to do something with it...

Cheers!
Old 04-25-2008, 09:24 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Very nice and interesting data Geoffrey - thanks for posting it! I've always wondered how tuning shocks is done with data...
Old 04-25-2008, 10:11 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another simplistic way to put it. Spring rate and bump damping cannot exceed a value or the car body will move up. The key is to keep the body from changing ride height and to keep the tire on the pavement as it undulates. More spring = less bump or you exceed a set-point and the chassis moves before the suspension travel is used up. You need enough spring and bump to keep the wheel from hopping around like a basketball but not so much that the car does the hopping.

tip of the iceberg.
Old 04-25-2008, 10:30 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I've always wondered how tuning shocks is done with data...
Yea, it is cool data and that is only the tip of it. With math functions, you can begin to look at roll/pitch rates, suspension roll frequency and a whole host of other things.
Old 04-25-2008, 11:33 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
Yea, it is cool data and that is only the tip of it. With math functions, you can begin to look at roll/pitch rates, suspension roll frequency and a whole host of other things.
I think he is subtly pointing out that you forgot to post the data - oops.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:17 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

You're too subtle for me, Mark! LOL No, I didn't notice that, I was just digging the description and the pretty graphs...
Old 04-25-2008, 05:06 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Tweed
Thanks, Larry. That "overshoot" explanation is not something I have thought about. Wouldn't that be most prevalent in high-speed damping, though, and not low-speed, i.e, more applicable to running over berms or bumps than in smoother transitions like cornering and braking, which would primarily be low-speed damping? Are you running triple adjustables or double?
I am not really certain of where it would be more applicable. Moton now makes 4 way shocks; maybe they are not certain either. The movement of the suspension due to road conditions is certainly with much greater velocity, but with less momentum. The movement of the body is slower, but has a lot of momentum due to its mass. I am running 3 way Motons, and have found the need to adjust all 3 settings.

All I have ever heard from the easily accessible sources has indicated to me that stiffer springs require less damping in bump and more in droop.
I still feel that once the shocks are properly set for dampening and not to compensate for other problems, the ratio of compression to rebound will be relative to spring stiffness, and not absolute to it. I just ran this past a friend of mine who is crew chief for a Grand Am team, and he told me that some do find that they can turn the compression down with stiffer springs because they were running overly high compression to compensate for too soft a spring to begin with. This makes sense too, but is not the gist of my arguement.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: Damper adjustments vs spring rates?