Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The rest of the photos:
http://flickr.com/photos/jaredplumme...7604642922609/
Old 04-23-2008, 06:04 PM
azmi951
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J richard
I drove out for the weekend, mainly to see the ALMS race. After Pettit last year it's amazing they can't figure out how to stay ahead of the ferraris all the way down to the last lap.

At the Porscheplatz they had the Lizards all come over for a grip' n grin', it was a really nice group of guys, later in the afternoon the team managers came over to talk race strategy, keep the cars in one peice run a clean race to be around for the end... much of it they did, but still didn't pay off...you have to be in front of the car ahead of you to win,

Patrick Long came by and answered questions, differences between Spyder and RSR etc... nice kid.

Then the CEO of Porsche NA, Director of Porsche Motorsports worldwide, and the Porsche Motorsports NA, came over. I had to ask the obvious question of the P1/P2 or GT1/GT2 offering and got the standard answer of only supporting private teams and how the audi's were a factory team and they didn't want to compete with privateer teams....uh, yea ok....

So down to the end of the race and the they simply let the acura drive right around them...arg....at least we are in for some good racing.
So that was you. I was there too. I asked the Lizards about the worst possible hit to stratagy other than a crash or some other major failure.

I wanted to ask the motorsports guys when we will see turbos racing again and if they ever plan to race the Caymen.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 PM
BlueRiver86
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by azmi951
I wanted to ask the motorsports guys when we will see turbos racing again and if they ever plan to race the Caymen.
Porsche is adamant that they will NOT race the Cayman, they even forbid the factory drivers from running them in other series, I read somewhere recently. Who knows what they are really up to though.

I wonder what their answer would have been...
Old 04-24-2008, 04:25 AM
Spyderidol
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by azmi951
Not unless the ACO changes the regulations.
Turbos are not favored under the current regulations, and the 997 Turbo is not homolgated to race in the GT2 class. (this could be fixed if it was deemed advantageous)
Old 04-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Congo
Burning Brakes

AER supplies the only turbocharged engine in the LMP1 class. They are still developing the now 4.0 liter P32T engine.
Old 04-25-2008, 01:12 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Congo
AER supplies the only turbocharged engine in the LMP1 class. They are still developing the now 4.0 liter P32T engine.
AER makes the Audi TDI turbo diesel?
Old 04-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Congo
Burning Brakes

The only turbocharged gasoline engine currently being raced in LMP1 is AER's P32T twin-turbo V-8.
Old 04-25-2008, 07:52 AM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Congo
The only turbocharged gasoline engine currently being raced in LMP1 is AER's P32T twin-turbo V-8.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:56 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Az,

Yea I was poking at the PMNA guys, I was just really interested in how they would handle the question, I'd love to see a turbo put together to actually give the vettes someone to race against. I think it would be pretty easy to homolgate a 997GT2R package that would run with them, even with the weight and turbo restrictions. porsche seems to be able to make it work if they put their minds to it. But if I follow their logic, they won't do it unless a team comes forward that wants to do it, and it would have to be at the level of penske or the lizards or TRG, a little chicken and the egg as far as I'm concerned...

As far as the spyders, who knows what the internal politic is between porsche and audi, but you can't say that audi wouldn't be just as ticked off if porsche consistently beats the audis out of a lesser class, so why not go head to head with a LMP1 car?, I realize the european rules are different, but don't they sell most their cars here? Maybe its all about risk and pride....

It was pretty cool that they brought all the guys by the tent, I was suprised at the amount of time and talent that they distracted before the race...those guys looked more nervous in front of everyone than I bet they ever are in the car...

Its going to be an interesting year...

Quick Reply: ALMS Long Beach race thread