Help me start

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 04:51 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

yes they are phiten- (phitenusa.com) They make lots of great products...I use their dots, necklaces, lotions, and various compression wraps to help get me through the grind of a baseball season in one piece! (that's a sponsor plug- start practicing now) They even carry "racing" products which I get first crack at testing and using.

Look for me on the covers of their catalogs later this year as my agent and I are in negotiations right now. All the japanese ladies love me!

you want the whole story on passions begetting passions?

first love- ferrari testarossa ( I was 6).

"dad- how much is a one of those?"
"a lot"
"what kind of jobs can afford to pay for that?"
"well you could be a really good surgeon, a lawyer, or a pro athlete"
"so if I'm a really good hitter and play in the majors I could drive a ferrari?"
"yeah if you play for a big team like the Dodgers or the Yankees you could buy a few"
"let's go play wiffleball dad!"

two years later I handed my mom
"C.J.'s Life Story"

a rough outline of what goals I was going to accomplish in timeline fashion.

my love for cars and driving started before I knew about anything else. My first reading was car magazines, and I used to grill my doctors on their cars- if they drove something wack I really lost respect for them- and this is at age 2.5-4 years old...I was a bit of a phenom in the reading department actually. Ever since I could read- baseball was so I could rock sweet whips.

word.
Old 04-17-2008, 01:28 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
yes they are phiten- (phitenusa.com) They make lots of great products...I use their dots, necklaces, lotions, and various compression wraps to help get me through the grind of a baseball season in one piece! (that's a sponsor plug- start practicing now) They even carry "racing" products which I get first crack at testing and using.

Look for me on the covers of their catalogs later this year as my agent and I are in negotiations right now. All the japanese ladies love me!

you want the whole story on passions begetting passions?

first love- ferrari testarossa ( I was 6).

"dad- how much is a one of those?"
"a lot"
"what kind of jobs can afford to pay for that?"
"well you could be a really good surgeon, a lawyer, or a pro athlete"
"so if I'm a really good hitter and play in the majors I could drive a ferrari?"
"yeah if you play for a big team like the Dodgers or the Yankees you could buy a few"
"let's go play wiffleball dad!"

two years later I handed my mom
"C.J.'s Life Story"

a rough outline of what goals I was going to accomplish in timeline fashion.

my love for cars and driving started before I knew about anything else. My first reading was car magazines, and I used to grill my doctors on their cars- if they drove something wack I really lost respect for them- and this is at age 2.5-4 years old...I was a bit of a phenom in the reading department actually. Ever since I could read- baseball was so I could rock sweet whips.

word.
Werd! LOL. You're seriously the definition of "drive" (no pun intended).
Old 04-18-2008, 06:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

to gain experience: seat time some coaching but not individual pro coaching it won't do any good until u have seat time. By seat time I mean 100+ hours minimum

To race pro: anyone can do it. Just need money

To see if u can make it, get a spec miata and see if u can beat justin hall or mark cross' time (both are west coast champs) in one year. If not, I'm afraid you dont have enough talent.

Above Twi drivers often pass me in there SM whxn I'm in my GT3!
Old 04-18-2008, 01:36 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
to gain experience: seat time some coaching but not individual pro coaching it won't do any good until u have seat time. By seat time I mean 100+ hours minimum

To race pro: anyone can do it. Just need money

To see if u can make it, get a spec miata and see if u can beat justin hall or mark cross' time (both are west coast champs) in one year. If not, I'm afraid you dont have enough talent.

Above Twi drivers often pass me in there SM whxn I'm in my GT3!
Thanks John, i was hoping you'd chime in. So would the initial seat time (100+ hours) be better suited in a GT3 or spec car (miata or boxster)?
Old 04-18-2008, 02:13 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by carn3rd
Thanks John, i was hoping you'd chime in. So would the initial seat time (100+ hours) be better suited in a GT3 or spec car (miata or boxster)?
You want to learn how to drive??

Get a formula vee.

Last weekend VIR national 1st and 2nd were separated by .001 seconds at teh end of the race.

If you can go fast in a FV you might have a chance.
Old 04-18-2008, 09:18 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,799 Likes on 2,375 Posts

formula v is a great choice but thats a bit too advanced for colby right now or for me for that matter

Gt3 us a terrible car as a starter trk car. Too much pwr, wierd rear engine dynamic (most cars arent rear eng), I can go on.

Miata and boxster, m3 or low PWR cars allows u to focus on line, feel etc in a gt3 one wants to b at head if pack in miata boxster u will b one of the slowest car on trk. U won't b able to pass many ppl so might as well slow down and concentrate.

I started in 996c2 scared to death
bot miata and learned
move back to c2 got better
slowed to m3 to learn how to drive then cay then lotus to learn different platform them back to gt3 and got much better. U need to b slow to b fast
Old 04-19-2008, 04:08 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mooty
formula v is a great choice but thats a bit too advanced for colby right now or for me for that matter

Gt3 us a terrible car as a starter trk car. Too much pwr, wierd rear engine dynamic (most cars arent rear eng), I can go on.

Miata and boxster, m3 or low PWR cars allows u to focus on line, feel etc in a gt3 one wants to b at head if pack in miata boxster u will b one of the slowest car on trk. U won't b able to pass many ppl so might as well slow down and concentrate.

I started in 996c2 scared to death
bot miata and learned
move back to c2 got better
slowed to m3 to learn how to drive then cay then lotus to learn different platform them back to gt3 and got much better. U need to b slow to b fast
Sounds good, learning slow to go fast. Miata it is! Thanks again for all your help John, seriously. One question though. How does a coach help in a spec miata if its only a one seater?
Old 04-19-2008, 11:59 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

colby- good way to do miatas is lead-follow with radios.

also- you have to learn how to bump, otherwise they're basically free to run. lol
Old 04-19-2008, 12:31 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

As one of the greats told me first hand (Bill Rudtner) he said people were scared when he was first learning the tracks and his 930 turbo, instructors wouldn't get in and so on. He said UTILIZE what you have , if you are fortunate to drive a gt3 the first time on the track, so be it. You do not have to go out there blazing, infact you won't. Take it easy and take your sweet time, de's are for the drivers to learn and I believe you get faster quicker and more knowledge in a more technical car from the beginning. Again this is from my experiences as well, I can attribute some to seat time obviously (e36/46 m3's) on the track , gt3 is a fine car and will force you to learn Quickly.
Old 04-19-2008, 01:57 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Formula V is slower than Miata in some senses and arguably a much better starting point.

Line, Drafting, Racecraft, Speed Maintnence are paramount and there is no way to bump your way past another person. Moreso than Spec Pinata.

I would consider FV less advanced than Spec Miata.

Boxster and M3 are not low power cars by any means and wouldn't be as good as a Miata for learning.

Other cars I would reccomend would be Spec Racer Ford. They are relatively low powered cars and if you can win at those you know you've accomplished something. The class has some of the highest participation and often has it's own rungroup which is very nice.

Quick Reply: Help me start