Sponsored by:

Help me start

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 07:07 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help me start

I'm thinking heavily about club (and pro if possible) racing. Where's a good place to start/shoot for? I was thinking Skip Barber race school than buying a spec car (miata, boxster, etc...). Any other ways to go about this? I honestly have no idea where to start (what race class, organization, car, etc...).

I have about 70-80k to budget for everything (spec car, trailer, classes, track time, repair costs, etc...). Ideally, and i know they're high hopes but, i'd like to make it up to racing Cup cars (WC, ALMS, etc...). Take easy huh guys, as you can see i'm a newbie to this whole racing thing. Cheers!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:51 PM
Barfly
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend doing a search. This topic was covered very recently.

_________
Jason
Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pyruvate
I would recommend doing a search. This topic was covered very recently.

_________
Jason
Will do. Thanks
Old 04-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Barfly
Racer

Here is a good start:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...tarting+racing
Old 04-16-2008, 08:13 PM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pyruvate
Read through it in its entirety. Thanks, that was perfect!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Barfly
Racer

It's career oriented, but there is good advice in the thread.

Good luck!
Old 04-16-2008, 10:53 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't do it!!!! Buy a really nice plasma tv, watch speedtv in HD. Invest the rest and we will mow your lawn to help pay for our daily meals 20 years from now.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

It really depends on what you are trying to do. Most of us work to be able to afford to go racing because not very money people can be successful enough to do it full time. I don't say that to be discouraging, but many many people in racing pay more than they earn.

I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think most of us have the primary goal of having fun not making money. So the real decision, in my opinion, is whether you can find a career that you like that allows you to afford to race, or whether you want to take the risk of ending up with nothing and then having no income as well. 80k certainly isn't enough to get you very far.

In the beginning though, you need experience, so I think the cheaper the track time the better. Raw talent can't step into a top level pro car and do well, you need experience.
Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Darren
It really depends on what you are trying to do. Most of us work to be able to afford to go racing because not very money people can be successful enough to do it full time. I don't say that to be discouraging, but many many people in racing pay more than they earn.

I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think most of us have the primary goal of having fun not making money. So the real decision, in my opinion, is whether you can find a career that you like that allows you to afford to race, or whether you want to take the risk of ending up with nothing and then having no income as well. 80k certainly isn't enough to get you very far.

In the beginning though, you need experience, so I think the cheaper the track time the better. Raw talent can't step into a top level pro car and do well, you need experience.
Ideally, while very doubtful, i'd like to make a career out of it. If that fails i suppose a degree from UC Berkeley will be good for something. I'm going to talk with a couple experienced people (James and Fab at GMG and Austin at TRG) and see if i can find a "cheap" way to evaluate whether i should pursue or not. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2008, 12:56 AM
Darren
Burning Brakes

See how I accidentally said money instead of many
Old 04-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Darren
See how I accidentally said money instead of many
LOL! That seems to be the consensus.
Old 04-17-2008, 03:49 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

colby, I like where your head's at. This current job of mine is just a cover so I can pay for my driving habit. Hopefully I can make enough to race on later.
Old 04-17-2008, 04:00 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
colby, I like where your head's at. This current job of mine is just a cover so I can pay for my driving habit. Hopefully I can make enough to race on later.
That's awesome. I might have to do the same thing. Save for a couple (or several LOL) years after college then start. Look forward to running with you in the off season!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:13 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

I read that thread and am glad that I'm taking my approach to this...a few of the guys in that thread mentioned making speeches and providing sponsors with a unique angle to showcase their product or service...

I've been doing marketing stuff on the side and also writing commercials (because I'm easily bored on the road and went to film school) but one of the most important things I've learned over the last few years in (or around) the spotlight of pro sports is that networking is huge. you have to build personal relationships with corporate entities...you're your own brand, and all your actions represent that brand.

I've got my own website, and maintain my visibility in the community through charity events that I host, and make lots of public appearances locally for the team.
You have to spend time and build a relationship with your possible sponsors.

I'm laying the groundwork for down the road, and have been for a few years. Right now, I've got a lot of corporate sympathy (if that's a word) from my glove company (custom blue gloves from Wilson), a japanese health product company that makes the necklaces I wear on the field, Southwest Airlines helps sponsor my charity events and I host them at their site in Dallas, Activision sponsors my events, Gamestop also sponsors my events, as does Bayer Medical. I've got a lot of friends in the clothing business and hopefully can get some sponsorship from them down the road. Since they already sponsor my charity events, maybe in a few years they can help sponsor my ride.

By attaching their logos, games, gloves, clothes, services ETC to the "c.j. wilson" brand, they gain visibility, street cred, public sympathy, etc that is really valuable.

now go find your own!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:23 AM
Carnerd
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
I read that thread and am glad that I'm taking my approach to this...a few of the guys in that thread mentioned making speeches and providing sponsors with a unique angle to showcase their product or service...

I've been doing marketing stuff on the side and also writing commercials (because I'm easily bored on the road and went to film school) but one of the most important things I've learned over the last few years in (or around) the spotlight of pro sports is that networking is huge. you have to build personal relationships with corporate entities...you're your own brand, and all your actions represent that brand.

I've got my own website, and maintain my visibility in the community through charity events that I host, and make lots of public appearances locally for the team.
You have to spend time and build a relationship with your possible sponsors.

I'm laying the groundwork for down the road, and have been for a few years. Right now, I've got a lot of corporate sympathy (if that's a word) from my glove company (custom blue gloves from Wilson), a japanese health product company that makes the necklaces I wear on the field, Southwest Airlines helps sponsor my charity events and I host them at their site in Dallas, Activision sponsors my events, Gamestop also sponsors my events, as does Bayer Medical. I've got a lot of friends in the clothing business and hopefully can get some sponsorship from them down the road. Since they already sponsor my charity events, maybe in a few years they can help sponsor my ride.

By attaching their logos, games, gloves, clothes, services ETC to the "c.j. wilson" brand, they gain visibility, street cred, public sympathy, etc that is really valuable.

now go find your own!
Man CJ, thats awesome. Maybe a degree in Communictions will come in handy after all. Seriously though, thats great.

Those necklaces you wear on the field arent made by Phiten by any chance are they? When i was back in the motherland a summer back they were the hottest thing so i picked up a couple.

BTW, must be nice being able to pay for one passion by playing another.

Quick Reply: Help me start