Sponsored by:

Any helpful hints on renting race cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:29 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No really.

I started this thread because I was trying to ask questions about reliable sources of rental cars, problems that people have had in the past, options to consider, etc . . .

I can't get another car now, nor do I want to at the moment.

If I could get into a car for a weekend or two (e.g., VIR CR plus SP CR), it would be great. If I can't make that work, well, I will just continue to be in a pissy mood for the upcoming years.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:30 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by rs911t
TD, I think know someone selling a light green 944
don't laugh, in serious moments of weakness I have thought about that (hmmmm rattle can flat black), but then I wake up and punch myself in the nuts.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
don't laugh, in serious moments of weakness I have thought about that (hmmmm rattle can flat black), but then I wake up and punch myself in the nuts.
LOL.

Tell me your rental budget, we could work something out. :lol:
Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best way, IMO, is to find someone who regularly rents cars and talk to people who have rented from them in the past. Expect a hefty deposit. Most REAL rentals I have seen have, at the least, a tell-tale tach.

Assume that ANYTHING that happens to the car is on you. The burden of proof for you to not be charged and any questionable areas favor the car owner - that is why you want some references. It is also great if you get a test day, or know the car has been raced in the very recent past - that helps ensure it is reasonable setup and ready to go, as long as YOU can verify. I have seen people get cars that are almost undriveable.

I can't help with specific people to rent from in the PCA world, but I could point you to folks in SCCA for SRF and perhaps other options.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:48 AM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what's old is new again
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by SundayDriver
The best way, IMO, is to find someone who regularly rents cars and talk to people who have rented from them in the past. Expect a hefty deposit. Most REAL rentals I have seen have, at the least, a tell-tale tach.

Assume that ANYTHING that happens to the car is on you. The burden of proof for you to not be charged and any questionable areas favor the car owner - that is why you want some references. It is also great if you get a test day, or know the car has been raced in the very recent past - that helps ensure it is reasonable setup and ready to go, as long as YOU can verify. I have seen people get cars that are almost undriveable.

I can't help with specific people to rent from in the PCA world, but I could point you to folks in SCCA for SRF and perhaps other options.
Excellent advice Mark.

Who here has rented cars in the past?

From whom did you rent?

Good experience or bad?

If you are shy, you can PM.

If you have contacted me in the past about renting me a car, I am considering all of those offers, I am just trying to get recommendations.

Steve, I don't think your car is compliant with current PCA rules, and I am also hesitant about renting/sharing from friends and acquintances (although that could potentially work out if all details are discussed in advance).
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
what's old is new again

Thanks for the helpful advice.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:50 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ernie J....
As you know a 944 (SP1 or SP2) may not be sexy, but they do work as hit that shoud tide you over a bit.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:54 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Thanks Joe. I have a contract from Ernie. He is the person I am considering the most right now.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 AM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
The first step is admitting you have an addiction. Spending time with the family is nice and all, but when you need a hit, you need a hit!
very true words.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I rent stuff for a living and the rule of thumb in my Industry is normal wear and tear is the lessor's responsibility and any thing above that is deemed abuse and is the responsibility of the lessee. If I could rent someone an item and lay off all the responsibility on them I would do it in a heartbeat. How could you not make money?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Todd

Do you need a roof over your head?

The Skip Barber Regional Race Series, in their 2L Formula Cars, sounds perfect for the hit you need.

You show up, get in the car, and go. Truly arrive and drive.

they run at most of the big name tracks. Qualifying, two races a weekend with a "Memorial" race for a few hundie extra at the end of the weekend, time permitting.

All the cars are equal, and well maintained.

They set the run groups to provide good competition for everyone.

They are very good about mechanical failures - it's on them. If you crash it, you have a deductible. Over the deductible it's on them.

When I was racing with them the deductible was $3000. I did have a $5500 incident in turn 7 at Road America which cost me $3000.

The cars are a hoot to drive, with sequential trannies.

I still sometimes think about going back to them on occasion
Old 04-15-2008, 11:50 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

You know what Mike, that sounds awesome and just about perfect. I will talk to skippie about that.

The only reason I was trying to do PCA was to hang out with some of you guys.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

to arrive and drive for a few check out the skippy series. They do regional as well as national. It is a few grand for a weekend. I have a friend that does it and he has a great time.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is to talk to Dave D about renting one of his stable of 944 SP cars for these events. DD is a stand-up guy, and potentially much more reasonable to deal with than a more commercially-oriented operation.

Quick Reply: Any helpful hints on renting race cars?