Sponsored by:

24' or 28'? ATC or Featherlite?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:30 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 84 Posts
Default 24' or 28'? ATC or Featherlite?

I am thinking of selling my 2006 Trailex enclosed trailer and getting something with a little more room for "racing incidentals".
I want to be able to carry 2 extra sets of wheels, a four wheeler/golf cart, tools, nitrogen bottle, parts, etc.
The Trailex BARELY holds sets of wheels, fuel jugs, small toolbox, some parts, etc. I could put the four wheeler in the truck bed, but it is such a pain to load and unload all the time. I have to take out 2 wheels, tool box, some spare parts, etc just to load/unload the car. And I would have to detach the trailer to load/unload the four wheeler in the truck.

What do you guys think would be better a 24' or 28'? Which brand is better built and has better resale - ATC or Featherlite?
I have a local Featherlite dealer that has a basic 24' with no options for about $13K and a 28' with some options and cabinets for just under $20K.
I have seen a 28' ATC with cabinets and some options - similar to the Featherlite for about the same money - about 2 hours from me.

I would be pulling it with a 2500HD Diesel (will be trading in my Sierra Denali).

(And I thought doing DE's was a slippery slope!!! This racing thing is out of hand!)

Opinions please.
Old 04-11-2008, 05:40 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You will need 28ft. to comfortably get the cart inside with cabinets. I would want to know the empty weight of the different trailers in the same length. I assume you're looking at the LWB crew cab. I would get the 3500 dually for the stability....
Old 04-11-2008, 08:35 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that the 24' just won't cut it for carrying the 4 wheeler. I like the Featherlight brand better than ATC, but both brands are good trailers with good resale value. I would beging to look at the construction of the trailers and I think you'll find that the Featherlight is a beefer and more sturdy. You'll want to think about options that you'll want such as a winch to put the car in and out of the trailer. You'll need this because you'll also get the upgraded axles and when you do, you'll find the doors of the car won't clear the inner fenders and you can't get in and out of the car while it is in the trailer.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:52 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

28' will allow for better placement to optimize tongue weight (I would suggest a Sherline scale), especially with a golf cart and other incidentals.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Geoffrey
You'll want to think about options that you'll want such as a winch to put the car in and out of the trailer. You'll need this because you'll also get the upgraded axles and when you do, you'll find the doors of the car won't clear the inner fenders and you can't get in and out of the car while it is in the trailer.
Geoffrey is right about the doors not clearing the inner fenders, but when I feel too lazy to winch ther car in, I just drive it in and climb out the passenger window. Its easier, and a moneymaker as I have won bets saying that I couldn't.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:37 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know with my 24' ATC initially with my street GT3 they messed up the placement of the escape door that I had put in so I could do what Larry is talking about without climbing out of the window. : )

They actually took the trailer back and built another one. I say all this because they raised the floor on the second trailer off the axles such that the wells were actually slightly smaller on the second to get the escape door down.

That means that is an option with ATC and I would imagine with Featherlite.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:57 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

john c had a nice ATC you should ask him about I would go with 28 if I were investing the money

We should just split a 997 cup then we would be asking how to get to 1:56???
Old 04-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone wants to sell their 24'er to upgrade, I have a friend looking for one.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:21 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 48 Posts

I have a 24' for my Cup car and have built in cabinets and tool box up front (30" deep), tire racks on the side will hold up to 3 sets of mounted wheels. There is room in front and behind the car, but not enough for a golf cart.

If I did a new trailer today I would do a 28' - as the extra room would be nice and it doesn't weigh that much more.

If you build a new trailer consider adding E-track in the floor and walls in places you will tie things down (front & back for sure), it makes everything so much easier to deal with. Also if they will do a spare tire well in the floor, ask then to do 2 (I did) one in front of the axel and one behind the axel. That is a great spot for storage of jack stands, air hoses etc... But only put things in the well you don't need when the car is in the trailer, so the spare tire needs to go on the tire rack or get mounted on the tongue of the trailer.

Good luck!

JCM
Old 04-11-2008, 11:30 AM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 24' Vee nose w/ cabinets etc and agree that you'll need a 28" (at least) to get a 4 wheeler in there depending on placement.
Old 04-11-2008, 11:48 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts

You really need a big-*** truck if you're pulling a 28. Why ? Because you'll load the trailer up with $hit...deny it now...but you will. Think 1-ton (for the brakes and suspension) and maybe think dually (for the stability...a 28 is a big lever on the hitch of a lighter truck...have fun in crosswinds).

For years (as in "decade" or more) I pulled a 24, and there was plenty of room for car (from little stuff to big-*** American V8 racer), tires (e-trac racks), a 4-wheeler, benches and tool boxes. Key: 48" side door, and load the 4-wheeler in the side door (nose up against the far side & tie it down). A couple of 5' 2x10 for ramps into the side door...which I also used to get the really low stuff off the ramp door, too.

Yeah...I have a 28 now. Why ? Old 24 had well into 6-digit miles on it, it was a nose-heavy pig (design problem...nothing to do with length), and was really really tired. 28 was slightly used, and "enduro boy" (me) got tired of jamming overhead fuel rig, gas grill, sofa and Barca-lounger into the back of the dually.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of friends have/had bumper pull 28' trailers (needed for ATV), and both ended up with dualies in order to control the rig in cross winds.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:30 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Matt, pm sent. T.Roy
Old 04-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I have a 28' tag that I put a john deere gator and my rsr in. I don't have tire racks mounted on the walls yet so i carry my wheels in the back of the truck. I had an 08 F250 and took it on one race weekend trip. The monday I got back I went and traded it in on an 08 F450. The 250 shortbed was rubbing its **** the whole trip back from atlanta to nashville. My trailer wieghs 5500#, the rsr is 2500#, gator is 1500#, plus tools, generator, nitrogen bottle, and all the other at track necessities, my trailer is weighing in around 12,000 lbs. You should look at getting a good weight distributing hitch with anti sway control, not the cheap foreign made one either! I got one from tractor supply for about $350 and it works very well. The trailer doesn't sway and feels very locked down to the truck. Good luck! btw, your car looked sweet at the RA CR.
Old 04-11-2008, 04:58 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris L.
I know with my 24' ATC initially with my street GT3 they messed up the placement of the escape door that I had put in so I could do what Larry is talking about without climbing out of the window. : )

They actually took the trailer back and built another one. I say all this because they raised the floor on the second trailer off the axles such that the wells were actually slightly smaller on the second to get the escape door down.

That means that is an option with ATC and I would imagine with Featherlite.
Interesting, I have a similar ATC story. They needed two tries to build me a trailer that would allow me to open my door over the wheel wells so I could "escape" out the escape door. Very easy and fast and quicker than a winch, fwiw. It is easy enough that I often put the car in the trailer at night. I'm not sure I'd go through that hassle if I was winching...

Quick Reply: 24' or 28'? ATC or Featherlite?