Sponsored by:

Close call.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008 | 09:46 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
You are kidding right?......

You are not attending the CR at LRP? I was really looking forward in meeting you and seeing you race against my boys Gary and Sean......I hope you reconsider...

BTW, thanks for your comments.....
I wish I could. First event will be the cr at the glen...

Again, good move to avoid the spinning car!
Old 04-06-2008 | 11:46 PM
Robert W. Bausum Jr.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bobt993
Bob, that applies mainly to a banked track. Here's one from last weekend race where the driver did not go both feet in.

http://bobt993.neptune.com?selectedalbum=bobt993355901
Even in this example I would have taken aim on his rear bumper where he began to loss it.
Old 04-07-2008 | 12:02 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

holy cow, what was that guy doing out in no man's land? He was a car width off the apex and kept turning in. Yikes.

Good work Paolo, that's not an easy place to keep you wits about you.
Old 04-07-2008 | 01:34 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

It is taught "if you spin both feet in"......

but how do you prepare the DE student not involved in the spin and right behind, to avoid possible contact?

Do you go outside? Inside, or just play it by hear?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnVQrNc7nQ

Any input would be appreciated.....
That's a perfect example of why my Cardiologist won't sign me off for a racing license. He says he is not concerned about what I do on the track... but what the other guy does!

Boston MD, nice reaction! Did your heart rate go up (much)?
Old 04-07-2008 | 01:52 AM
Jimbo951
Racer

Boston, not a bad recovery. But...

1) You turned in early at the uphill.
2) You turned in early at the downhill. Actually this kind of helped you to avoid the spinning car.
3) It's difficult to determine from the video, but I don't think *saw* the spin early enough. I don't think you really saw what was happening until the guy was sideways. When he blew the apex by 6' but was still moving pretty fast, I'd have started thinking "Where's he going? I better slow this down a tad until I know". It appears to me you just kept on coming... Anyways, that's easy for me say sitting infront of a computer, I wasn't driving the car in realtime.

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.. Join the club...
Old 04-07-2008 | 08:19 AM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert W. Bausum Jr.
Even in this example I would have taken aim on his rear bumper where he began to loss it.
Bob, not trying to argue here, but in Paulo's vid, if you headed towards the spin as you state, you would have hit the other car which rolled back towards the middle of the track. I think the consensus here is that you go with your instinct and in this case he likely made the best choice by going wide and not stopping in the middle of the track with potential traffic coming downhill.

Have you ever watched a spin in NASCAR and listen to the spotters tell the driver where to head? It's pretty funny because they are wrong about 50% of the time and you can hear the chatter of the driver yelling back at him.
Old 04-07-2008 | 08:35 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
holy cow, what was that guy doing out in no man's land? He was a car width off the apex and kept turning in. Yikes.

Good work Paolo, that's not an easy place to keep you wits about you.
That wasn't your normal LRP downhill spin, I have no idea how he confined the spin to a very small area on the right side in the dirt. He started spinning past the apex, all I can think is he tried to turn in harder and lifted to snap it around like that. 90% of the time it's a pinch on the left exit, panic, the rear comes around and the car goes across track into the tire ditch near pit lane. In those cases you stay left of course, has happened to me three time so far - a Boxster, a GT3, and a 80's 911 all did the same thing.. Never saw anyone doing doughnuts on the inside only!

Last edited by Gary R.; 04-07-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 04-07-2008 | 09:49 AM
Robert W. Bausum Jr.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bobt993
Bob, not trying to argue here, but in Paulo's vid, if you headed towards the spin as you state, you would have hit the other car which rolled back towards the middle of the track. I think the consensus here is that you go with your instinct and in this case he likely made the best choice by going wide and not stopping in the middle of the track with potential traffic coming downhill.

Have you ever watched a spin in NASCAR and listen to the spotters tell the driver where to head? It's pretty funny because they are wrong about 50% of the time and you can hear the chatter of the driver yelling back at him.
Discussion, no arguement. If we were in the paddock, I'd have one hand in front of the other and sayin' "this is how I see it..."

So...
Clearly, understanding the level of the driver in front of you can impact the decision. Had he kept his foot on the brake, the rolling would have been eliminated. After looking at the vid some more, I still think holding station at where the car in front began to spin, with the adjustment to the outside, was/is the right course of action.
Old 04-07-2008 | 09:59 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colm

Boston MD, nice reaction! Did your heart rate go up (much)?
To be honest with you, it all happened so fast I really didn't have time to get my heart racing.....
Old 04-07-2008 | 10:01 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

BTW, would that spin have been tagged with a 13/13 ruling if it were a racing situation?
Old 04-07-2008 | 10:11 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

BTW, would that spin have been tagged with a 13/13 ruling if it were a racing situation?
There was no contact with anything but the dirt, so no. I could be wrong tho!
Old 04-07-2008 | 10:15 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Keep your eyes up. Not sure where you were looking, but you can see the car in frond was in trouble before you started down the hill. That will give you a little more time to react. You did the right move this time, but understanding what is happening to the cars in front of you ( or anywhere near you ) will give you more confidence in your own driving.
Old 04-07-2008 | 10:22 AM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
Keep your eyes up. Not sure where you were looking, but you can see the car in frond was in trouble before you started down the hill. That will give you a little more time to react. You did the right move this time, but understanding what is happening to the cars in front you ( or any were near you ) will give you more confidence in your own driving.
Arnie, to be honest, I saw the car in the middle of nowhere in the downhill before turn in, and I thought to myself this guy is going lose it......before I knew it I saw him spin..... It is like I had a premonition something was going to happen......

Anyway, I am glad it turned out OK.....
Old 04-07-2008 | 12:46 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

Arnie, to be honest, I saw the car in the middle of nowhere in the downhill before turn in, and I thought to myself this guy is going lose it......before I knew it I saw him spin..... It is like I had a premonition something was going to happen......

Anyway, I am glad it turned out OK.....
Next time you get one of these premonitions, SLOW DOWN!!! It's a DE, not a race. Had you started slowing down when you saw him in no man's land, you definitely could have come to a complete stop instead of trying to avoid him.
Old 04-07-2008 | 01:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Brian P
Next time you get one of these premonitions, SLOW DOWN!!! It's a DE, not a race. Had you started slowing down when you saw him in no man's land, you definitely could have come to a complete stop instead of trying to avoid him.
Well, slamming the brakes on the downhill while turning didn't seem a great idea at the time. Also, the person behind me could have possibly hit me.

I just followed my instincts I guess.......

Quick Reply: Close call.....