Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Close call.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008 | 06:46 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Default Close call.....

It is taught "if you spin both feet in"......

but how do you prepare the DE student not involved in the spin and right behind, to avoid possible contact?

Do you go outside? Inside, or just play it by hear?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnVQrNc7nQ

Any input would be appreciated.....

Last edited by BostonDMD; 04-06-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-06-2008 | 07:10 PM
84-944
Instructor

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

but how do you prepare the DE student "not involved" to avoid possible contact?

That's a tough one, the student was a cool customer, lifted a little, assessed and throttled by. If he/she had put both feet in you would've been in the wall more than likely. Something like that is a split second decision, an instructor doesn't have enough time to assess the situation themselves and instruct the student, so IMVHO it's a "play it by ear and hope" you get through it.

B.
Old 04-06-2008 | 07:15 PM
v-tach
Burning Brakes

That was a close one BostonDMD as i did see it in my rear view mirror. Thank God no contact -- a little luck always helps. What to do in that situation i think u did well - stayed to the outside.
v-tach
p.s.
always helps to play nice with the sharks !
Old 04-06-2008 | 07:21 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Bah, that wasn't so close. Going outside is the % play, as most people wad it up to the inside. But you have to assess each situation individually.
Old 04-06-2008 | 07:25 PM
Robert W. Bausum Jr.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Smile

I've heard that your best odds are to head where the car began it's spin. This has worked for me twice.

The reasoning that was presented to me is the spinning car rarely ends up on the line where it began the spin.

Of course, this footage shows otherwise.

Nice save!!!
Old 04-06-2008 | 07:54 PM
DanR
Drifting

WOW PAulo, that was a close and fortunate call. Think you did the right thing!!!!!
Old 04-06-2008 | 08:32 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

84-944 Yes, that student sure is a cool dude.........

V-tach I think he was pushing it, trying to catch up with "the shark"

38D Probably not so close for a seasoned racer like you, but close enough for just a plain white guy like me.......

Robert W. Bausum Jr. Thank you.....

DanR. See what you missed by being in St. Lucia?......I actually practiced that move on our Rennlist Rfactor online races.......
Old 04-06-2008 | 08:43 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

IMO, as soon as I saw him 'catch' the spin & roll essentially straight backwards, it would have been foot to the floor (as you did). Had he not begun to go straight backwards, if would be both feet in, stat.
Old 04-06-2008 | 08:50 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by BostonDMD

but how do you prepare the DE student "not involved" to avoid possible contact?

Like Colin said, this was not a close call from a speed/distance perspective. But when i was studying videos of LRP for the upcoming CR (which i won't attend because of work ), I thought this part of the track could be a vicious place.

Paolo, you behaved like an experienced driver by not panicking. Lifted a little, assessed the situation, and got out of the way with gentle steering input to the left and getting back on the throttle hard.

Would be nice to provide you catch-all advice, but this is case by case Paolo. For instance, the driver in the spinning car could have behaved differently, forcing you to take a different course of action.

Last edited by FredC; 04-06-2008 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2008 | 09:01 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Key here is looking far ahead so you can see things as they start to happen. Don't get fixated on the target, but make a quick assessment as to what it looks like they are doing (are they locked up or still rolling) and look where you want to go. You did a good job of not panicking and keeping your foot in it.
Old 04-06-2008 | 09:06 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robert W. Bausum Jr.
I've heard that your best odds are to head where the car began it's spin. This has worked for me twice.

The reasoning that was presented to me is the spinning car rarely ends up on the line where it began the spin.

Of course, this footage shows otherwise.

Nice save!!!
Bob, that applies mainly to a banked track. Here's one from last weekend race where the driver did not go both feet in.

http://bobt993.neptune.com?selectedalbum=bobt993355901
Old 04-06-2008 | 09:22 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by constaf
But when i was studying videos of LRP for the upcoming CR (which i won't attend because of work ), I thought this part of the track could be a vicious place.
You are kidding right?......

You are not attending the CR at LRP? I was really looking forward in meeting you and seeing you race against my boys Gary and Sean......I hope you reconsider...

BTW, thanks for your comments.....
Old 04-06-2008 | 09:24 PM
93 FireHawk 968
Drifting

I'm by no means an expert but the move to the outside was spot on.... Anticipation is a key component to any succesful driver/racer and knowing what may happen and what you'll do is imperative.

The driver of the car that spun seemed a bit wide entering the turn at the bottom of the hill, turned in a bit late, causing them to be way off line. I've seen plenty of pro drivers spin there and subsequently hit either the inside or outside tire wall.

Last years Mazda spec Miata series had a couple of cars connect exiting that same turn and one hit the inside wall something fierce.
Old 04-06-2008 | 09:26 PM
SWA911
Instructor

At the TWS Club Race I had two cars perform a synchronized spin in oil about 200 yards in front of me. They both performed the classic 911 spin like the car did in your video. They essentially blocked the track one on the inside one on the outside. I simply did what one of my DE instructors had told me and "went where they weren't" which was straight off the track into the grass causing me to lose several positions. Car came home in one peice. If I had tried to weave through them I could have gotten in the same oil they got into and since they were racing and trying to get turned around and back into the race they may not have seen me. Basically I just played it safe.

Those split second decisions, I think, are what separate the men from the boys out on the track. Nice job on a close call.
Old 04-06-2008 | 09:37 PM
Brian P
Rennlist Member

If I didn't see the video and was told someone was spinning in the downhill, I'd say the percentage play is to go to the outside.

Having saw the video, you almost have enough time to come to a dead stop if you went 2 feet in immediately. That being said, I thought going to the outside was the right move.

Quick Reply: Close call.....