Sponsored by:

AIM MXL - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 04:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts
Default AIM MXL - Help!

Ok, I have the wonderful AIm system installed, Brake Pressure, Throttle position, GPS Speed, Long. G's, Lat. G's, RPM, Oil Pres, Temp, Alt. Charge Volts, and blood pressure and pulse.. well, maybe no BP and pulse..

First of all let me say the AIM manual is garbage. It's not an operations manual, just a hodge-podge of descriptions and data points. How anyone became proficient using this is a testament to their intelligence and I salute you. NO mention of the GPS system or how it works. I ran four 25+ minute session yesterday and the MXL was enabled (goes on with key) the whole time. I have a bunch of garbage recorded, no way to correlate it to where I was on track and when, no track map recorded, never could even get a LAP TIME while running. I "guessed" (because there is no damn MANUAL!) that maybe I need to set a virtual "GPS Beacon" so I went in the menu and saw "Set GPS Beacons".. Ok, find and push the menu button coming out of the downhill at LRP (loved that) and then pressed "OK" at the S/F line. Did nothing, still no times, NADA.. I have been using a cheapo $500 MaxQData system to this point. It records the track, maps it, displays MPH and you can easily segment the track afterward if you like. Worked out of the box. And I can check my email on the wireless PDA too!

So is there a REAL manual anywhere? I've downloaded all the PDF's from AIM, they are the same as the crap printed manual. Will anyone that knows this system be at Summit on 4/12-13 by chance? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2008, 04:28 PM
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Call Jerry at 941-228-8964. austin@fairpoint.net
Old 04-06-2008, 06:05 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Gary, worst come to worst I can translate from the original Italian manual for you.....
Old 04-06-2008, 06:12 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gary, Send an email to Roger Caddell he is at info@victorylanedata.com who can assist and train.

Last edited by sleder; 04-06-2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-06-2008, 06:40 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys.. Paolo, it isn't a translation issue, it's just a horrible manual. There should be a section on each and every menu selection and operation.. not even close. The GPS is a MAJOR component.. not even mentioned. How does it draw a track map? How does it set a S/F point for lap times? Without a track map what good is having sensor data! It's sad the $500 MaxQData I have had a better manual, and WORKED from day 1 without me having to search (and most likely PAY) for help. You know me, there is virtually nothing I can't figure out with a manual or text..
Old 04-06-2008, 06:49 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Those frigging Italians......

Gary, I know that if anybody, you will figure it out......and then you can set mine up.......
Old 04-06-2008, 09:44 PM
APKhaos
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it a coincidence that Race Studio regularly has 20 or more bug fixes and minor releases every year?? I think not.
The Italians should stick to cars and women [which they do extreeemly well], and leave software and technlogy to others.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Well, both Roger and Jerry have gotten back to me already!! Jerry has offered to help and Roger has sent me some preliminary manuals he has developed. It won't be long and i'll have this whipped!!
Old 04-08-2008, 12:20 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Just to follow up, i'm a LOT better now..

Just a couple days with Jerry and Roger's help and the "discovery" of a second, better AIM site ( http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/c...on_car_mxl.htm ) I am confident that my trip to Summit this weekend will be fruitful (data wise)..

I am VERY impressed with it and greatly look forward to digging in..
Old 04-08-2008, 01:00 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also struggling with the poor documentation...I'm trying to figure out how I can connect my wideband AFR sensor to the AIM (mine is a MyChron Gold).

The sensor has a pair of analog outputs so uses a single wire to drive a 0-5volt signal. I think (may be wrong) that the AIM has a + and - connection for each analog input so not sure how I connect this. I haven't pulled my unit out of the dash to validate yet. I'm tempted to try to just connect the output from the sensor to the + input for one of the analog inputs on the AIM but nervous I might damage something.

I would think that this is something that the manual would cover well...but it doesn't.

Rick
Old 04-08-2008, 01:33 PM
Peter Kelly
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you guys call the dealer you bought from and get support? They do include support with the sale don't they?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Peter Kelly
Why don't you guys call the dealer you bought from and get support? They do include support with the sale don't they?
Of course, as does AIM itself. For me, there isn't anything I can't process with the proper documentation and my bitch was with that point. With the discovery of the new 1.08 MXL manual and other pertinent documents i'm fine for now. The reason for the post was more to air my frustration and get help from my track buds..

Oh, and I rarely will ask directions either.

Quick Reply: AIM MXL - Help!