Sponsored by:

Why do you club race with PCA?.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008 | 03:52 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Ya know, the cool thing about all of this discussion is that there is SOOOOO many opportunities to race, be it PCA, NASA, SCCA, HSR, etc. You name it. My advice is try one, if you don't like it, you have options. All of them offer competitive racing, good comraderie, and well organized events.

And to think...I might not be racing again until August

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 04-02-2008 | 04:06 PM
Potomac-Greg
Drifting

Originally Posted by naroescape
Ya know, the cool thing about all of this discussion is that there is SOOOOO many opportunities to race, be it PCA, NASA, SCCA, HSR, etc. You name it. My advice is try one, if you don't like it, you have options. All of them offer competitive racing, good comraderie, and well organized events.

And to think...I might not be racing again until August
Agreed. There's no single answer. It depends on who you are, what you want, and where you live. My race career is a bunch of years away for now but when I have the time to do it, I suspect I'll favor a more "gentlemanly" group.
Old 04-02-2008 | 04:20 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

In general I agree with Charlie on his points.

I have two problems with PCA Club Racing that have nothing to do with the actual racing.

1) There aren't enough races on an annual basis within 600 miles. I will do 10-11 weekends this year, only two of those will be PCA races.

2) I will run a full season with NASA this year and will go to the run-offs at Mid-Ohio in September. I have an opportunity to win a regional and/or national championship with NASA or SCCA. No opportunity like that with PCA. It's too bad too as the championship would probably mean more than a NASA or SCCA (regional) championship due to the better grouping of classes.

As for trophies, at Daytona I got a Club Racing ballcap with the event and "Event Winner" embroidered on it (they only gave out a hat for 1st place). At Sebring, we got trophies for placing in top three.
Old 04-02-2008 | 04:24 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Without me, who would pick up the chicks for Glen?
Old 04-02-2008 | 04:28 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by JimB
Without me, who would pick up the chicks for Glen?
Hey, I saw You qualified for Your "special treat " again on Sunday! Congrats!
Old 04-02-2008 | 04:38 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Glen
Hey, I saw You qualified for Your "special treat " again on Sunday! Congrats!
I'd have been faster but I was a little weak in the knees.

Did you get the rest of your crew back?
Old 04-02-2008 | 06:00 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Paolo,

I have raced with both NASA,PCA, both have their merits:

More track time with PCA and the enduro at every event. (Possibly 2 sprints also.)

NASA Midatlantic is well organized and alot of fun. Competition is closer because of the HP/Weight with a dyno sheet guideline. It would be great if PCA moved in that direction, just makes the whole process simple.

Running against other cars is alot of fun and invokes alot of race tactics.

As far as contact, my experience so far is that NASA is no different as to risk, you just need to pass traffic with common sense. The 13 rule at NASA also does not apply to an "off" that does minor damage to your own car and no one else. PCA is pretty steadfast on this being a "go home" penalty.

The other observation is NASA is a "for profit organization". I think in this case it is a good thing. They work hard to serve you as a client. The volunteers at PCA have to put up with alot of crap. It almost seems a thank less job at PCA and I can understand how racers can be a big PITA at times for them.

I would consider the comp school at NASA for a start. It has more structure and walks you through the program with on-track drills for rookies. Their DE program is much better suited for racing: on-track tows, limited track closures, pace cars between sessions. Open passing in time trials. Passing in corners. All good stuff. PCA supports rookies with the mentor program, but with the only segway into racing being a fun race and practice starts. Basically you put both feet into the pot at once in PCA.

If you have the time and $$$ do both and decide yourself.
Old 04-02-2008 | 06:02 PM
sechsgang
Rennlist Member

because Im trying to meet people with like-minded interests and goals who would entertain "moving up"...I havent met nicer people anywhere else.
Old 04-02-2008 | 06:32 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Thank you racers, your thought and inputs are very much appreciated.....
Old 04-02-2008 | 06:35 PM
Jim Child
Three Wheelin'

I enjoy racing in PCA because of the large competitive fields in E class (formerly F). The larger races can attract 20 to 30+ cars which makes for great racing. PCA also consistently puts on extremely well run events with lots of track time. If you want to learn to go fast on a new track its hard to beat a three day PCA club race.

As much as I enjoy PCA club racing I'll be doing more NASA race weekends this year, about 6 for NASA vs. 2 for PCA. NASA gives me more opportunities to race in my local region. I live two hours from Mid Ohio, but PCA only runs one race weekend there. NASA runs four. Same story with Putnam Park which is less than three hours away. PCA runs there once, but NASA runs there twice. Another reason why I'm favoring NASA is the contingencies that are available. At Nationals last year I got money from my wheel supplier, my brake supplier, and my tire supplier. This year Hoosier is upping the ante with an irresistible contingency program for all of the races, two free tires per class win and one for second. That means that if you manage to win your class in both the Saturday and Sunday races your tires for the weekend are free. How cool is that?

Finally, NASA provides the opportunity to run for a regional and National Championship. PCA has nothing like this, and for me that's a big disadvantage.

Many have mentioned the friendship and the social aspect as reasons to like PCA. I don't think that's relevant, because you could easily say the same thing about NASA, SCCA and any other club racing organization. Any time you get a group of like minded people together for a weekend of fun you're going to develop friendships and have a good time. One good thing about NASA GTS is that if you miss your PCA friends you can bring them with you to race in NASA. Lots of people I run with in NASA I originally met in PCA.
Old 04-02-2008 | 06:35 PM
FredC
Drifting

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Thank you racers, your thought and inputs are very much appreciated.....
so will you race soon? Will you put on the R6s soon?
Old 04-02-2008 | 06:38 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by constaf
so will you race soon? Will you put on the R6s soon?
Soon my friend, soon.......
Old 04-02-2008 | 07:23 PM
Glen
Race Car

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I didn't know there were many chicks racing........
Well the chicks at Sebring are Sick!
Old 04-02-2008 | 07:35 PM
iLLM3
Drifting

Originally Posted by bobt993
Paolo,

I have raced with both NASA,PCA, both have their merits:

More track time with PCA and the enduro at every event. (Possibly 2 sprints also.)

NASA Midatlantic is well organized and alot of fun. Competition is closer because of the HP/Weight with a dyno sheet guideline. It would be great if PCA moved in that direction, just makes the whole process simple.

Running against other cars is alot of fun and invokes alot of race tactics.

As far as contact, my experience so far is that NASA is no different as to risk, you just need to pass traffic with common sense. The 13 rule at NASA also does not apply to an "off" that does minor damage to your own car and no one else. PCA is pretty steadfast on this being a "go home" penalty.

The other observation is NASA is a "for profit organization". I think in this case it is a good thing. They work hard to serve you as a client. The volunteers at PCA have to put up with alot of crap. It almost seems a thank less job at PCA and I can understand how racers can be a big PITA at times for them.

I would consider the comp school at NASA for a start. It has more structure and walks you through the program with on-track drills for rookies. Their DE program is much better suited for racing: on-track tows, limited track closures, pace cars between sessions. Open passing in time trials. Passing in corners. All good stuff. PCA supports rookies with the mentor program, but with the only segway into racing being a fun race and practice starts. Basically you put both feet into the pot at once in PCA.

If you have the time and $$$ do both and decide yourself.
I must say there is tons of valuable information from all of you, much appreciated! The NASA comp school sounds like what I would like to do to get my feet wet!
Old 04-03-2008 | 05:16 PM
PMS993
Addict
Rennlist Member

My $.02 worth echo's most to the others. I like the people and the cars. In the Cup category, you won't race with as many cup cars in any venue. The guys (and gals) driving them are very competitive and know that any indescretion will be paid for our of their own pocket. I just spent 13 months out due to the13 / 13 rule and missed the competition and the camraderie. I feel for JoeP from Arizona. Here on the east coast, we have several differnet tracks to visit and makes for a full year. I raced with NASA and PBOC down here. For the most part, the events were "nice" but there would maybe be only 3 cup cars in attendence. I'm glad I'm back.

Quick Reply: Why do you club race with PCA?.......