Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Christiano da Mata returning to racing, debuted for testing at ECR in north Texas.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Christiano da Mata returning to racing, debuted for testing at ECR in north Texas.

Christiano da Mata, who was badly injured at Elkhart Lake in 2006 when he struck at deer on the track, made his driving comeback last week at Eagles Canyon Raceway in north Texas. He was there driving a Gainsco (Bob Stallings) Daytona prototype car (Gainsco reserved the track for a couple of days). Speed TV came out with a crew to film the event for a segment on their show (see video link). Rumor has it that he is joining the Gainsco team. I had the opportunity to watch from the hotpit and it was exciting to see da Matta running our own hometrack Eagles Canyon. da Matta definitely still seems to have it. And of course, he broke the ECR track record! He was turning 1:42's consistently and I think he got down to around 1:40 a couple of times. Not bad for a guy that hasn't driven a racecar since being in a coma and having never driven that track before. Amazing to watch. He entered pit-in faster than I go through turn 11!

http://link.brightcove.com/services/...ctid1468256914

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/artic...iano-da-matta/

http://www.speedtv.com/gallery/view/...241/show_link/
Old 03-26-2008, 12:18 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Great news. Nice to see him behind the wheel again.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:42 PM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't wait to see him back in action. He is a class act. Godspeed Christiano.
Old 03-26-2008, 02:14 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

good to see him back in it
Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has the pit in wall at ECR been moved back?
Old 03-26-2008, 03:54 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Saw Cristiano at Sebring , he was having lunch with the same group as us and i must say it was good to see he is well enough again. I will add that i was surprised to hear he is getting back in a race car so soon , as by observation he did not seem 100% , maybe he was just being so , but it did seem to us that his motor skills was not 100%, it will be interesting to see if he really drives as announced.........if he does , it would be fantastic , 1 more reason to watch grand-am.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:07 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Greg Smith
Has the pit in wall at ECR been moved back?
Yes, the armco that was on the edge of the track next to pit-in has been replaced with a wall that is much farther back from the track edge and a wide gravel trap added between track edge and the wall.
Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Saw Cristiano at Sebring , he was having lunch with the same group as us and i must say it was good to see he is well enough again. I will add that i was surprised to hear he is getting back in a race car so soon , as by observation he did not seem 100% , maybe he was just being so , but it did seem to us that his motor skills was not 100%, it will be interesting to see if he really drives as announced.........
I'm certainly no expert, but he seemed fine in terms of motor skills when I saw him at ECR last week. No doubt thought that it must have been a long road to recovery for him from such a bad injury.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:13 PM
Greg Smith
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TR6
Yes, the armco that was on the edge of the track next to pit-in has been replaced with a wall that is much farther back from the track edge and a wide gravel trap added between track edge and the wall.
Very nice!
Old 03-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2008, 04:21 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
I'm certainly no expert, but he seemed fine in terms of motor skills when I saw him at ECR last week. No doubt thought that it must have been a long road to recovery for him from such a bad injury.
Good to hear , how was his test ? quite possibly will see him again this weekend .
Old 03-26-2008, 08:15 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by A.Wayne
Good to hear , how was his test ?
Originally Posted by TR6
. And of course, he broke the ECR track record! He was turning 1:42's consistently and I think he got down to around 1:40 a couple of times. Not bad for a guy that hasn't driven a racecar since being in a coma and having never driven that track before.
Sounds like his test was pretty good!

It must have been pretty cool to see. Lucky bastard you.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:36 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

....and an even more class act about him, was that he personally responded to a number of people I know who sent him cards while he was in the hospital in Neenah.

Quick Reply: Christiano da Mata returning to racing, debuted for testing at ECR in north Texas.