Sponsored by:

HMS Motorsport

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts
Default HMS Motorsport

All I can say is wow. I went to a meeting where a gentleman (Joe Marko (?)) did a talk about harnesses and as he was a Schroth dealer I asked about swapping out my 3" lap belts (brand new Profil-III in Blue if anyone wants them) with 2". Due to the layout of my Kirkey seats there was no good way to get the lap as tight as I wanted it and i'm told the 2" will rectify that for me and from what I heard at the seminar and read (below) it's better anyway. I ordered the belts yesterday afternoon, standard shipping. They just arrived. Did I say wow?

From the Schroth site:
"The 2" lap belt offers greater safety because it fits better on the human pelvis. The part of the pelvis where the lap belt contacts the body is called the Iliac Crest. This is the bone that sticks out at the front of your hip. When seated, a 3" lap belt will ride on top of this crest. A 2" belt sits below this crest, and exerts all of its force on the hard part of your pelvis, rather than focusing it on a small surface area of bone. Because of this fact, you can generally get the 2" lap belt up to 1.5" tighter than a 3" lap belt."

Last edited by Gary R.; 03-26-2008 at 10:54 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:49 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe is one of the most knowledgeable guys out there on safety systems. He's also a strong supporter of PCA and BMWCC
Old 03-26-2008, 10:50 AM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Gary, I have too found that the 2" lap belt fits me much better than the 3".
Old 03-26-2008, 11:00 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I run the 2" lap as well based on Joe's recommendation. He was great. Spent a lot of time with me on the phone putting together the right system for me/my car.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I too use the 2" lap belt on Joes recommendation. If you still fell you can not get the lap belt tight enough try the pull up belt instead of the pull down one.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:06 AM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A) I like the 2" lapbelts a LOT better than 3. We've been using them for a couple years ever since BMW CCA made them legal.

B) Joe is the man. He serves as an adviser on safety for everyone from NASCAR to BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA. The current mandantory HNR's and soon to be required right-side nets are due to Joe's involvement with BMW CCA as the National Safety Steward. He's one of the biggest reasons that BMW CCA has been a leader in safety for club racing organizations.

A little info from a couple BMW CCA CR press releases:

BMW CCA Club Racing is pleased to announce HMS Motorsport as the "Official Safety Equipment Supplier of BMW CCA Club Racing" for the 2006 season.

HMS, its staff, and founder Joe Marko, are well know in the racing community as experts in personal safety equipment. The entire HMS staff is made up of active CCA Members and Racers. HMS has been a long time sponsor of Driving Events and Races for the Boston, Genesee Valley, and New Jersey Chapters.

HMS is the exclusive importer of Schroth harnessbelts and was the first retail dealer in the US for the HANS Device. Joe is one of 6 people on the SCCA National Safety Advisory Council. He authored the SCCA ProRacing Regulations for harnessbelts and head and neck restraints for 2005, and has assisted ASA, NASA, and other sanctioning bodies with similar efforts. HMS supplies nearly half of the NASCAR Nextel Cup drivers with Schroth harnessbelts and installation expertise. HMS has worked closely with BMW CCA Club Racing since its inception on many driver safety related issues - most recently drafting significant revisions to the safety regulations for the 2006 season. They have been instrumental in making BMW CCA Club Racing the first amateur racing organization to mandate head and neck restraints.

The program with HMS includes sponsorship money directly to Club Racing Administration in addition to a comprehensive "Racer Benefit Package". The Racer Benefit Package includes a 5 to 10% discounts on most items that HMS sells, contingency certificates at each race, and a $100 gift certificate for other products with the purchase of a HANS.

BMW CCA Club Racing joins SFI Foundation

BMW CCA Club Racing is pleased to announce that we have become a Member Sanctioning Body of the SFI Foundation.

The SFI Foundation is a non-profit organization established to issue and administer standards for specialty/performance automotive and racing equipment. By becoming a SFI Member Sanctioning Body, BMW CCA Club Racing may use SFI's Quality Assurance Standards and Technical Inspector Certificate Programs.

Joe Marko, BMW CCA Club Racing's National Safety Steward, established this relationship as part of BMW CCA Club Racing's constant efforts to be at the forefront of auto racing safety.

BMW CCA Club Racing already uses multiple SFI standards: SFI 45.1 for rollbar padding, SFI 16.1 and SFI 16.5 for harnesses, SFI fire ratings for driving suits, SFI 27.1 for window nets and SFI 38.1 for head and neck restraints.

The SFI Foundation may be found on the web at:

http://www.sfifoundation.com/
All of that to say: If you have safety questions, call Joe at HMS.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
I too use the 2" lap belt on Joes recommendation. If you still fell you can not get the lap belt tight enough try the pull up belt instead of the pull down one.
The nice thing about the one's they got me is they can change from pull up to pull down, so whatever works best is always available..
Old 03-28-2008, 01:45 PM
jrottn
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I met Joe autoXing about 12 years ago - great guy - knows his shizz
He and the rest of the guys over there are great to deal with
I buy all my safety stuff through them as well as misc parts, brake pads, etc.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

I installed them yesterday and took the car for a short rip (yes it's actually registered and insured!). The 2" are 1000% better (than my 3") and that's with them being set for pull down. The way the 2" work, and with the little "T" handles, they would be great up or down. Happy camper now!
Old 03-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

that + the radios and you've got no excuses not to be in the 1:01's at the LRP race
Old 03-28-2008, 04:35 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Very Timely!

(I'm in the market for new belts... (DE/ super solo, only) & trying to decide on FIA vs SFI... and cost/yr benifit of FIA and SFi)

-Are the 2" belts APPROVED in scca, nasa, chin, PBOC, PCA, etc...
(or, does anyone NOT accept 2" belts?)

I've got 2) (used) sparco pro 2000 seats... (w/back brace)
& from my archive search, pull up lap belts sure sound like the best solution... (which kills the cheap gForce FIA belts) I'm also a R3 (H&N) owner...

Opinions on: Schroth profi II vs hybrid, vs other FIA brands ?
(or get the SFI belts and swap them every 2 yrs vs 5 yrs)

-Thanks in advance!
Old 03-28-2008, 05:21 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I had Joe at our shop last week to educate us on the double shoulder belt placement for a new chassis (open wheel) we are designing. Joe is fabulous!!
Old 03-28-2008, 06:49 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1957 356
that + the radios and you've got no excuses not to be in the 1:01's at the LRP race
Relax, I ain't got no steeeeeenkin radio so 1:02.0000000001 is the best I can do.
Old 04-01-2008, 01:17 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

Sorry, but I have to knock HMS...

Tried to order some schroth clubman belts, called HMS prior to ordering (yesterday), was told over phone, they were in stock and had dates of 2013

so I made the order, and received email this morning, they are NOT instock, and will not be instock for another 4 weeks...

-in fairness, several other vendors are also out of stock and have backordered these belts...

BUT, HEY, I did call them, and they said they had them in stock...

(oh, yeah, HMS price was (just) slightly higher than 2 competitors..)
Old 04-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

-Are the 2" belts APPROVED in scca, nasa, chin, PBOC, PCA, etc...
Here is the text from the PCA 2008 rule book.

Five, six or seven point SFI or FIA approved competition harnesses, are required and must be properly mounted in accordance with the manufacturer’s specifications (see Appendix B). Harnesses cannot be mounted to seat or seat rail. Mounting must be to the chassis backed by large diameter washers (if stock mounts are not used) or to the roll bar. No two harness straps can be attached to a single mounting bolt. No Y-type shoulder harnesses are allowed. The angle of the shoulder harness going back from the driver’s shoulders cannot be more than 30 degrees above nor more than 10 degrees below the horizontal plane of the shoulders. Harness webbing must be approximately 3” for lap and shoulder harnesses and 2’ for antisubmarine straps. Additionally, FIA or SFI approved competition harnesses with 2” lap belts may be used, and FIA or SFI approved shoulder belts with a 2” section designed to fit over the yoke of the device may be used. The anti-submarine straps should be mounted such that they will not allow upward vertical movement of the lap belt due to “crushing” of the front seat cushion in any situation.

Quick Reply: HMS Motorsport