Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 02:01 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TR6
Can you always feel when PSM is activating?
I don't experience it as a continuously variable thing. Early on, I would only notice it while in the middle of a major correction, lasting for 2 or more seconds, and the end result was a significant reduction in forward motion. Lately I've noticed it as a much less intrusive, split-second incremental input that amplifies what I'm already doing anyway. Good example was ECR T7 in the ice...

But either way, it's certainly noticeable. Not as obvious as ABS, more like
"uh? hey, where did my torque go?... oh... er,.. guess I better watch that more closely next time around, huh?".

BTW, every time, the instructor on my right notices it also, and seems more relieved than I to have felt it too!
Old 03-29-2008, 02:24 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

To my knowledge, the only times PSM has kicked in on my car, there has been a clear indication of it. Specifically, I've noticed an ABS type of pulsing of the brakes on certain wheels. It has been unmistakable. Most recently, and the only time it has intervened when I didn't want it to, was in the carousel at TWS after the oil-spill during the last DE. I could feel it grabbing on a wheel when I took the turn with two wheels in the oil line, and two out. Otherwise, when it has clearly kicked in i was REALLY glad it did.

At least twice, with VR in the car with me, I got sideways. Once in T4, once in T7 , both times as the result of a chicken lift. Both times I heard gas gas gas, from the right seat, and both times we straightened up and went on with no intervention from PSM.

I'm of the impression that there are significant differences between the 996 and 997 versions of PSM, with the latter being much less intrusive.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:28 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
Both times I heard gas gas gas, from the right seat,
While this is usually the advice I give 911 drovers when encountering situations like we did in those instances, it is quite possible that I was commenting on the outcome of what I had for lunch as well.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...both times as the result of a chicken lift. ....
Been there, done that! 911's don't like a chicken lift in a turn...
I like the saying I read somewhere regarding 911's and staying on the gas... "If you find yourself in trouble in a 911, mash down on the throttle. It may not always solve the problem, but at least it will end the suspense..."
Old 03-29-2008, 06:46 PM
rickdm
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have to confess to a little deviousness with the PSM. I was assigned a new Green student on a Sunday, and I had followed this student in another car on Saturday and their driving was particularly erratic. When i looked down from the passenger seat before the first session I noticed that the PSM had been turned off. When the student looked out the window to wave at a friend I discreetly turned it back on. I wasn't being a total chicken****, I just kind of thought the student would appreciate being able to take their car home with all the parts still attached
Old 03-29-2008, 06:51 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
...this is usually the advice I give 911 drovers when encountering situations like we did in those instances...
While the volume and timing of this most basic phrase varies considerably across individual instructors, its effectiveness must certainly be a function of nothing but the thickness of the student's skull?
Old 03-29-2008, 07:00 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rickdm
...a new Green student ...driving was particularly erratic.. PSM had been turned off... student looked out the window to wave at a friend...
Amazing. I look at that as you doing everyone else a favor.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ervtx
While the volume and timing of this most basic phrase varies considerably across individual instructors, its effectiveness must certainly be a function of nothing but the thickness of the student's skull?
Sometimes yes. Sometimes it is genuine fear/apprehension on the student's part, which is totally natural and normal. We have ALL been there, and it definitely takes some gentle coaching & encouragement--and not macho intimidation--to help some folks get mentally comfortable with the concept.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:17 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, if it ever happens to you in my car, you have permission dispense with the gentleness, and deliver it with a sense of urgency!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:30 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LMAO...hopefully Mglobe would agree that I am capable of doing both simultaneously!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:00 AM
DRG13
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be there Saturday, looking forward to catching up with folks I haven't seen in a while..
Old 03-30-2008, 01:17 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

Dan, I saw your car at Ruf yesterday...that new RS wing/decklid looks AWESOME!
Old 03-30-2008, 01:24 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
LMAO...hopefully Mglobe would agree that I am capable of doing both simultaneously!
It's true. VR can both pass gas and do it with urgency at the same time.
Old 03-30-2008, 09:28 AM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CJ was that your RS at RUF? I was there thurs morning and was wondering if that was your car?
Old 03-30-2008, 09:59 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

It's true. VR can both pass gas and do it with urgency at the same time.
I am a highly trained professional.

Quick Reply: Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?