Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 01:43 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?

Running the 3.1 track. I'll be there. Number 500. White 911. Looks like there are 132 registrants as of today.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:59 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Even though MSR is my "home" track, this will only be my 2nd DE here, and my first time on the 3.1.

So I'll be driving the number 618 black C4 cab like a rookie (and tapping the brakes before ricochet!).
Old 03-25-2008, 08:31 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm out. Going to the Topeka Club Race the following weekend.

BTW Greg thanks for the picture CD. You really have some great shots. Super photography!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:01 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope to run the new car. Still have some things to finish up, but if a couple more parts come in on time I think I should be ok. I had hoped to have a bunch of track time in the car before the DE, but it looks like it may be my "get familiar" with the new car weekend.

Good luck in Topeka Jeff. I hope all goes well for you!
Old 03-25-2008, 10:13 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm in.

Only my second time at MSR also, so my left arm will be getting even more of a workout than usual.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Even though MSR is my "home" track, this will only be my 2nd DE here, and my first time on the 3.1.

So I'll be driving the number 618 black C4 cab like a rookie (and tapping the brakes before ricochet!).
On the 3.1, with the much longer approach, most cars will use substantial brake before Ricochet.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:06 AM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by mglobe
Only my second time at MSR also, so my left arm will be getting even more of a workout than usual.
Instead of your right arm which usually gets the most workout...
Old 03-26-2008, 12:29 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Running the 3.1 track. I'll be there. Number 500. White 911. Looks like there are 132 registrants as of today.
I'm in as well, Greg. How happy is your wife that your car is back

I'm also going to be at the Driver's Edge event this weekend at Eagles Canyon. Ruf is sponsoring the event, so it's going to be awesome! For those of you who want more track time, the driver's edge puts on a good event.

Tom
Old 03-26-2008, 12:51 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by David 23
On the 3.1, with the much longer approach, most cars will use substantial brake before Ricochet.
Interesting...... You need to get used to your D car. If it's anything at all about momentum, you will not want to use too much brake (IMO).

I just looked at some of my laps on the 3.1 as recorded by TraqMate. On average across several sessions at last October's DE, my entry speed just before a quick "tap" on the brakes (after the crest of the hill and just before turn-in) was 91MPH, after the tap (which was ALWAYS too much) I had pulled back to about 79-81MPH and that was just prior to turn-in. Apex at 79-81 and track-out at 83-84. So even though I thought I had only "tapped" the brakes, I threw the anchor out WAY too much and lost a lot of exit speed.

The TraqMate is a wonderful device to show you just what a crummy driver one can be!

I probably will not be there in April. Am considering doing a member day the first Sunday in April.

Toby
Old 03-26-2008, 01:28 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Toby, that really is useful data. Not sure how to apply it to my car.

Compared to yours, my car is HEAVY. It's probably the heaviest 996 on the track, for that matter. So I've got more mass that's got to get re-settled after cresting the hill, even on the 1.7. And understeer. So when I said I would be tapping the brakes, it was to get the car settled at all costs (impact on entry speed be damned!) and lighten up the rear so the car will turn.

Since David made a good point (3.1 vs. 1.7 approach speed), I assume that I now have to both load up the front suspension AND slow down. My car has more horsepower as well, so my speed at turn in could now be higher than your 91? Translation: You guys have me thinking that I need to brake before/at the hill, and then tap at entry to Ricochet. Does that sound right? Or is there time to still get it all done after the hill (for the driver, that is, not the car)?
Old 03-26-2008, 02:06 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mglobe
I'm in.

Originally Posted by TR6
Instead of your right arm which usually gets the most workout...
LMAO!! How true! No wonder he can really shake a martini.

I'm there. 3rd time at MSR, but first time to run the 3.1. Instructor, please.
Attached Images  
Old 03-26-2008, 05:24 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,954 Likes on 555 Posts

I'm trying to go, but will only be able to attend the morning sessions and maybe one afternoon lapping session on saturday, and possibly one or two sessions on sunday morning. Should be worth it just to meet a few new faces and get some official DE time under my belt in the RS.

On ricochet in my 993TT (and RS for that matter), I've found it's much easier to slow down right after the crest of the hill and do it all at once as opposed to trying to tap, lift, tap on the brakes...don't want a weight yo-yo before a downhill turn. This also allows me to get on the throttle a bit before the apex and put in a slight drift out of the turn (and there's exit curbing there now-YAY!).

I'm seeing indicated speeds well over 100mph before the crest. Another thing to remember is to stay left in the transition section between the 1.3 and the 1.7- there's a ridge that can really unsettle the car if you're not ready for it and you're too far to the right...plus the car gets really light (especially my 993, but with 570hp and bad aero, what should I expect?) so staying left and staying on the throttle will prevent any of those snappy spins we're all trying to minimize.

FWIW my 993 is really heavy too...AWD, cage, full lux interior +stereo...
Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

On ricochet in my 993TT (and RS for that matter), I've found it's much easier to slow down right after the crest of the hill and do it all at once as opposed to trying to tap, lift, tap on the brakes...don't want a weight yo-yo before a downhill turn. This also allows me to get on the throttle a bit before the apex and put in a slight drift out of the turn (and there's exit curbing there now-YAY!).

I'm seeing indicated speeds well over 100mph before the crest. Another thing to remember is to stay left in the transition section between the 1.3 and the 1.7- there's a ridge that can really unsettle the car if you're not ready for it and you're too far to the right...plus the car gets really light (especially my 993, but with 570hp and bad aero, what should I expect?) so staying left and staying on the throttle will prevent any of those snappy spins we're all trying to minimize.

FWIW my 993 is really heavy too...AWD, cage, full lux interior +stereo...
Thanks, C.J., just the insight I was looking for. Except for hp, some good reference points for me. +1 on the YAY for exit curbing - my cajones just got a little larger. On the other hand, I'm guessing that heading towards the blind drop off after the crest at 3.1 speeds will require some getting used to.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 AM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ervtx
Toby, that really is useful data. Not sure how to apply it to my car.

Compared to yours, my car is HEAVY. It's probably the heaviest 996 on the track, for that matter. So I've got more mass that's got to get re-settled after cresting the hill, even on the 1.7. And understeer. So when I said I would be tapping the brakes, it was to get the car settled at all costs (impact on entry speed be damned!) and lighten up the rear so the car will turn.

Since David made a good point (3.1 vs. 1.7 approach speed), I assume that I now have to both load up the front suspension AND slow down. My car has more horsepower as well, so my speed at turn in could now be higher than your 91? Translation: You guys have me thinking that I need to brake before/at the hill, and then tap at entry to Ricochet. Does that sound right? Or is there time to still get it all done after the hill (for the driver, that is, not the car)?

I agree with David, this will be a real braking zone for you. Done right I think track out speeds will be between 90-95+ mph even with braking before turn in. If you get the exit right on the last turn of the new section you will be flying on the straight leading to ricochet!

Best place to brake is after the suspension settles on the backside of the hill. Before the hill is too early, though you can lift here as you practice and work up your courage. Also be careful to wait for the suspension to settle before braking, otherwise you're looking at a tank slapper.

The other hint is that you need to use the sensation of the suspension settling as your indicator for the braking zone. In other words don't look at the braking zone, keep your eyes ahead of your car and focused on the apex. Getting fixated here will cause a late turn in as everything happens pretty fast.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:26 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

I just scream going down the hill and hope the car turns at the bottom.

Quick Reply: Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?