Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 01:00 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

On PSM and alphabet soup....

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban

it puts a bit more weight on the front wheels compared to RWD, giving you more consistent road contact (harder to lift the inside front with AWD)
Yep, if anything lifts, it's the inside rear.

in uphill turns, like the hairpin on the 1.3 section- the front wheel traction helps pull you through even though the weight is really on the rear. Not only does this give you more forward traction, but also makes it easier to control your steering
Yep, on uphill turns, I'm confidently on the gas sooner and harder than the RWD's I end up behind, and usually catch them before the next turn...

in downhill turns, you're gonna have more weight on the front and more grip in the front so that mid-corner you have an easier time catching the drift, it basically makes the sliding action of "on the limit driving" slightly more progressive even though it creates plowing at lower speeds.
Nope, this is the part I'm not getting/feeling; need coaching.

If a downhill turn immediately follows an uphill turn, those FWD's I just caught pull away on the downhill side, and I'm not back to full gas until just before track out.

it's much safer to drive with AWD (and PSM off in my opinion- have to learn sooner or later!)
I had been focusing on left-foot braking, but it seems as though the call for PSM is moving up the list.

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
I always reach over & shut it off on my yellow & white student's cars. When you get to that level, I want to see that you know what to do w/o it.
There it is again....

if you get the entry right, there's no reason why you shouldn't be foot through the firewall in your C4 by the end of the day with a little one on one coaching.

OK, I can't let a reasonable challenge go unanswered... At MSR, I'm working on downhill turn-ins and PSM-less driving. Thanks for helping me get some objectives. Hope I can also get some of that coaching the passenger seat; it always helps.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:05 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

thanks, I stayed at a holiday inn express for a few weeks in spring training.

Oh and BTW- no use left foot braking if you're using TCS or PSM or whatever, it's bad enough to do it you've got ABS.

my point about the AWD making the drift easier to catch is that it balances out the rear-heavy 911 just a bit more, when the rear does step out. it's also gonna take turns a bit wider on exit at the same speeds because of this...there is a give and take. the only way to have it all is with 10" front tires, 12" rears and a cup car.

lol
Old 03-29-2008, 09:19 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh and BTW- no use left foot braking if you're using TCS or PSM or whatever, it's bad enough to do it you've got ABS.
VC recently made a classroom suggestion to do it first in daily driving to develop sensitivity that's initially missing, so I've only worked on that aspect - in the truck! - even took the truck out for parade laps at the club race at TWS to make the jump to track use!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

VC...VR....same difference.

I disagree on LFB when using PSM. You CAn and SHOULD use LFB whenever you need to slow the car w/o downshifting, or even just to aid the car's attitude in a corner. However, Porsches model year 2000+ with e-gas will cut the throttle if you are on the gas & brake for longer than about 1/2 second. So be aware of this & adapt accordingly. But Do use LFB, and do not listen to people who tell you not to. When Lone Star did TWS clockwise not that long ago, here is where I was using LFB: 15-14, 11, 9, 4, 3. Your gearing will change some of this, but you get the picture.

As for turning PSM off, I will disagree with JW on this. While I agree that advanced students should learn to drive w/o any crutch, I do not want to open myself up to any additional potential liability--real or imagined--by turnign off a student's safety feature.
Old 03-29-2008, 10:18 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Maybe the individual student's decision point on when to turn off PSM is at the point where they find PSM repeatedly kicking in at moments where they are pretty darn certain they would have been able to handle the situation without it?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Probably true. I let them make the choice. And if PSM is on, and we can feel it working, I use that as a Teaching Moment by showing that PSM just saved our bacon from something bad by fixing driver error(s).
Old 03-29-2008, 10:39 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oops, sorry D, a typo only! Hey you can call me ray or you can call me jay but you doesn't have to call me ________.

Yeah, I've started to adjust to the e-gas part while warming up the brakes with my left foot on the out laps. First time, I knew it was coming but was surprised at how quickly it takes over.

Now some of the turns where I think LFB will be helpful to me are completely different from the downhill ones I need to work on, so one thing at a time, man!!
I may be an opportunity-rich target for advanced instruction, but we've got to go thru this old brain in order to get to my feet!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:00 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As for turning PSM off, I will disagree with JW on this.
Well, it's not like I'm going to FORCE them to drive w/o it but I will switch it off just to see what kind of reaction I get. I definitely have to know the person's abilities well enough first as well. This is not something we go exploring first session of the weekend
Old 03-29-2008, 12:07 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LOL....brake brake brake BRAKE BRAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 12:11 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like to switch it on and off during the session just to f*ck with the students..no wait that was just when I was riding with my brother....
Old 03-29-2008, 12:16 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

LMAO.

I will give you $5 to do it to your dad.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:24 PM
TR6
Drifting

Can you always feel when PSM is activating? I would think it operates at different levels of "activeness" depending on the need of the situation. Anything from just backing the throttle off slightly if it starts to sense a little rear wheel spin vs. a full court press engagement of all 4 wheels for a car about to get sideways. I don't know because I've never experienced PSM. I know my 99 BMW M Coupe, which has a very primitve rear wheel anti-slip control only, not 4 wheel active management, sometimes only engages by slightly lifting on the throttle for me if it detects a rear wheel starting to spin. Sometimes its so subtle, I don't notice it except that I'm mashing the throttle down and the car isn't accelerating as fast as it should. Whereas, if my rear wheels are really starting to break loose, it will actually start activating the rear brakes and that you can definitely feel. I know that my BMW's system is ancient compared to modern 4 wheel PSM. I don't care for it.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:26 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Always? No.

But when you DO feel it, it has just saved you from a major off....which can be used as a learning experience w/o bent sheetmetal.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:50 PM
amondc
Burning Brakes

HAHAH That would be funny..Maybe the next DE if we bring the street C4S out...unfortunatly cant in the 997Cup they forgot to add that option in when we ordered it..bastards.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:23 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Just to be safe, I re-wired my center console buttons - PSM button now rolls the windows up and cranks up the radio on a station playing something from the captain and tennille.

Quick Reply: Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?