Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 04:48 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ervtx
Oh, that's right. 13 was a straight off, wasn't it? You didn't need PSM on that one. (ABS?)
Nah, that was 12. Maybe you're thinking 13 because I drove straight off the track out at 12 when I ran out of talent and ended up down by 13 by the time I brought the car to a stop in the mud and wetness! I swear the car feels like it picks up speed on the wet grass...

Last edited by TR6; 03-27-2008 at 05:04 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:20 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nope; I was thinking 13 - going clockwise in February. But the facts are irrelevant... it's urban legend now (own it; live wit it). At least you're pushing hard enough to go off which is more than I can say for myself.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

TR6 won't admit it, but based on how much he talks about it, he clearly suffers from PSMvy.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM
TR6
Drifting

Nope; I was thinking 13 - going clockwise in February. But the facts are irrelevant... it's urban legend now (own it; live wit it). At least you're pushing hard enough to go off which is more than I can say for myself.
Ahh! That wasn't 13. That was 15 going CW! A simple matter of red mist syndrome while coming down the front straight and not leaving enough braking distance. Result was driving straight off the edge before turn in for 15 and skiing across the grass. Went so far out there that I ended up having to drive over to the apron of the roval to find my way back. Ah, good times man!

Originally Posted by mglobe
TR6 won't admit it, but based on how much he talks about it, he clearly suffers from PSMvy.
I suffer from 997S envy after getting behind the wheel of one recently!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:16 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts
Default elevation AWD

BTW, I'm loving all of this great coaching, so thanks for taking the time...

While I can easily feel the difference AWD makes going uphill (T5, T7 and T10 in the ice at Eagles Canyon), I don't particularly notice it going downhill. PSM has kicked in a few times when getting out of shape on a downhill section, but I've just never felt the front pull while on the gas at a downhill apex. Not that I'm ready to try MSR w PSM off, but could PSM be getting in the way of approaching ricochet in the manner you describe? Or maybe I'm just not taking the tires to their limit (I'm on Sport Cups).

few reasons why AWD helps you get more traction with +/- elevation- I'm pretty sure the same thing applies to off-camber turns as well...

it puts a bit more weight on the front wheels compared to RWD, giving you more consistent road contact (harder to lift the inside front with AWD)

in uphill turns, like the hairpin on the 1.3 section- the front wheel traction helps pull you through even though the weight is really on the rear. Not only does this give you more forward traction, but also makes it easier to control your steering- you're doing a porsche version of a wheelie coming out of that turn if you do it wrong in a RWD 911.

in downhill turns, you're gonna have more weight on the front and more grip in the front so that mid-corner you have an easier time catching the drift, it basically makes the sliding action of "on the limit driving" slightly more progressive even though it creates plowing at lower speeds.

if you lift at the wrong time- you've got more margin for error to control the car before it spins...since the front wheels are driving, if you lose a bit of rear traction, the car will plow in a straight line as the differential locks more tQ or HP or whatever to the front (ever feel a FWD car plow through a turn?). Obviously this is a very fine line and it happens extremely fast- but if you're ready for it you'll get it right. after a while- you'll do it every time!

all this means that if you're relatively unfamiliar with a track, it's much safer to drive with AWD (and PSM off in my opinion- have to learn sooner or later!) because there is more margin to catch the car and take it straight off if you screw up vs the snappy lift-off oversteer tendencies of the 911 at the limit.

Going off into the weeds in a straightline is 300% better (or more) for your car rather than spinning wildly. You're gonna lose control eventually as you push the car, but on turns like ricochet- you really don't want the car to oversteer too much. I learned the turn pretty well in my 993TT and can honestly say that if you get the entry right, there's no reason why you shouldn't be foot through the firewall in your C4 by the end of the day with a little one on one coaching.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,680 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by SWA911
I'm out.

Congrats on FINALLY coming out, Jeff.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:58 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that is just ridiculous. I'm a real race car driver now and everyone knows there are no gay race car drivers. Plus I'm not driving a Boxster.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:32 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greg,
I didn't know you liked crutches

Plus I'm not driving a Boxster.
Yep, the Barbie cars suck. Slow & expensive to operate

I guess I need to buy another cup car & get my manhood back.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:33 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by SWA911
Now that is just ridiculous. I'm a real race car driver now and everyone knows there are no gay race car drivers. Plus I'm not driving a Boxster.
Uh oh. Now you're gonna stir up the spec boxster mafia....
Originally Posted by JW in Texas
Greg,
LOL!
Old 03-28-2008, 03:34 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Uh oh. Now you're gonna stir up the spec boxster mafia....
Nah, actions speak louder then words.......

See you in Kansas
Old 03-28-2008, 06:28 PM
SWA911
Instructor

I never said that the SpBox were not fast. I found out first hand at TWS how fast they are. Smoked by me pretty easy for sure. But then again I am in a different class with a 30 yr old car on it's original unrebuilt motor and 178k on the odo. so I wouldn't expect much less.

Man I just like giving the Boxster guys a hard time. It's all in fun and no harm is meant. It is a fine car indeed.............
Old 03-28-2008, 06:33 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Greg,
shhhhhh.... what goes on at the track, stays at the track.
Old 03-28-2008, 06:35 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Man I just like giving the Boxster guys a hard time. It's all in fun and no harm is meant.
I know. I'm just messin' w/you They are chick cars on the street but they look like they may turn out to be a decent race car. We'll see.

I'm @ 135k miles on my clock too. I just picked up a spare motor for $ 1,250.00 w/90k on it just in case. The cost of spares for these cars is blowing me away but ,as Noby said, I am coming from the totally warped Cup car world. They still seem damn cheap though.

How many of you Buckley boys are going to Kansas?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:44 PM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

shhhhhh.... what goes on at the track, stays at the track.
I know, PSM & the rest of the alphabet soup is great for saving your ***...to a point. Unfortunately, at that point & beyond YOU need to know what to do. The car can only do so much. I always reach over & shut it off on my yellow & white student's cars. When you get to that level, I want to see that you know what to do w/o it. Now stepping off my Back to your regularly scheduled smack talk
Old 03-28-2008, 07:36 PM
SWA911
Instructor

How many of you Buckley boys are going to Kansas?
So far it looks like just 3 of us, Jim, myself and Pat Heptig. We'll see you there. I may be camping at the track and cooking out so be sure and swing by.

Quick Reply: Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?