Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 10:54 AM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Instead of your right arm which usually gets the most workout...
True, my right arm does usually get a bit tired from waving "thanks for the point-by" to Greg & Steve.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Waco Kid
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWA911
I'm out. Going to the Topeka Club Race the following weekend.

BTW Greg thanks for the picture CD. You really have some great shots. Super photography!
Jeff, good luck at Topeka. Everyone says that is a great track. I wish I was going but I just can't get it done this year.

I'll be at MSR though; see you guys in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:44 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

jakermc... makes sense and very helpful. very much appreciate the advice; thanks.

I'm getting in line behind Steve... Instructor, please.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 PM
KurtC
Instructor

I'll be there in my black Supra. Appreciate all the advice in here.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:30 PM
David 23
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Toby Pennycuff
Interesting...... You need to get used to your D car. If it's anything at all about momentum, you will not want to use too much brake (IMO).

I just looked at some of my laps on the 3.1 as recorded by TraqMate. On average across several sessions at last October's DE, my entry speed just before a quick "tap" on the brakes (after the crest of the hill and just before turn-in) was 91MPH, after the tap (which was ALWAYS too much) I had pulled back to about 79-81MPH and that was just prior to turn-in. Apex at 79-81 and track-out at 83-84. So even though I thought I had only "tapped" the brakes, I threw the anchor out WAY too much and lost a lot of exit speed.

Toby
Toby,
I have only 15 minutes with fading brakes in the new D car, and that was on the 1.7. So really I have no idea what to expect in that car on the 3.1. All my other experience is in the 993, where I didn't touch the brakes on the 1.7, but had to get on them doing the 3.1 as my approach speed was much higher. I thought most of the other later, faster cars were also braking harder due to the increased approach speed on the 3.1, however I certainly could be wrong.

I am anxious to find out all the differences with my new car compared to what I am used to. I'm sure it will be quite a learning experience. I have my Traqmate hooked up, so hopefully some of that data will speed up the process.
I'll be out of town on Sunday the 5th, or I would try to meet you out there and get some tips!
Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
SWA911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Waco Kid
Jeff, good luck at Topeka. Everyone says that is a great track. I wish I was going but I just can't get it done this year.

I'll be at MSR though; see you guys in a couple of weeks.
Yeah it wont be the same without you. Only a handful of D cars registered so far. I think everyone waits till the last minute to see the weather forecast. David Gross is going and we had several good battles at TWS. I'm looking forward to it.

Ya'll have fun at MSR. BTW I just give a very slight tap at the bottom of the hill.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:11 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,369 Likes on 634 Posts

about downhill ricochet- in regards to braking force and how it varies from car to car...

I've been in a 944Turbo with slicks, S2000 with slicks, 996GT3 with slicks, 993TT with PS2 and yoko048, and followed all sorts of other cars through that turn.

the less HP you have vs tire grip- aka an S2000 with slicks vs a 570hp 993 on street tires- the less you're gonna brake because the tires can actually hold the line you want the car to make. In a car with AWD you're in a much better situation than RWD anytime there's elevation change involved. it just makes it easier- so in a C4 997 with Pzeros, PS2, etc- you're still gonna slide a little bit through the apex- but not as much as a 996GT2 would. This however is the perfect place on the track for a 4 wheel drift in an AWD car, if you're into that kind of thing...

if you've got R-comp tires such as hoosiers or whatever- you barely have to brake, just a little lift over the crest, a small tap to get some weight on the fronts, and bingo you're into the gas down the hill. but if you're on street tires with more than 350 or 400hp- you sure as hell better brake or get your line 97-100% perfect. it's not a place you really want to use too much of the curbing on the inside of the track- especially compared to rattlesnake.

check youtube for MSR 3.1 and see what comes up.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:36 AM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
In a car with AWD you're in a much better situation than RWD anytime there's elevation change involved. it just makes it easier- so in a C4 997 with Pzeros, PS2, etc- you're still gonna slide a little bit through the apex- but not as much as a 996GT2 would.
BTW, I'm loving all of this great coaching, so thanks for taking the time...

While I can easily feel the difference AWD makes going uphill (T5, T7 and T10 in the ice at Eagles Canyon), I don't particularly notice it going downhill. PSM has kicked in a few times when getting out of shape on a downhill section, but I've just never felt the front pull while on the gas at a downhill apex. Not that I'm ready to try MSR w PSM off, but could PSM be getting in the way of approaching ricochet in the manner you describe? Or maybe I'm just not taking the tires to their limit (I'm on Sport Cups).
Old 03-27-2008, 10:42 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ervtx
...PSM has kicked in a few times when getting out of shape on a downhill section, but I've just never felt the front pull while on the gas at a downhill apex. Not that I'm ready to try MSR w PSM off, but could PSM be getting in the way of approaching ricochet in the manner you describe? Or maybe I'm just not taking the tires to their limit (I'm on Sport Cups).
PSM? What is that?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 AM
MJHanna
Instructor

Originally Posted by TR6
PSM? What is that?
ABS ? What is that?
Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by MJHanna
ABS ? What is that?
touche
Old 03-27-2008, 12:19 PM
Ritesh
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys,

This is going to be my 1st PCA event in the GT3. Should be fun.

Dave,

Do you have time or another instructor to ride with me so that I learn the 911 line. I did a TDE event with the 3 a few months ago. Unfortunately it was a bit wet and I didn't want to take chances with my new baby. So I was barely pushing it.

Ritesh.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:20 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
PSM? What is that?
It's what you wish had each time you spun in 13 at TWS!
Old 03-27-2008, 01:57 PM
TR6
Drifting

Originally Posted by ervtx
It's what you wish had each time you spun in 13 at TWS!
Hey! I've never spun in 13 at TWS! Now 12 is a different story...
Old 03-27-2008, 03:46 PM
ervtx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TR6
Hey! I've never spun in 13 at TWS! Now 12 is a different story...
Oh, that's right. 13 was a straight off, wasn't it? You didn't need PSM on that one. (ABS?)

Quick Reply: Maverick Region (Texas) April 12 DE at MSR: who's in?