Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Here's some recent video of my driving. Please take a look and tell me what you think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGKzlt6jP_c
Excellent!!!! Just be certain to turn-in a bit earlier and keep your Environmental Impact Statement up to date.....
Old 03-26-2008, 09:15 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

It's the thread that keeps on giving
Old 03-26-2008, 10:52 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread ROCKS! Please don't stop, it's just getting interesting.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:15 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The simple truth is that for 95% of us amateur drivers, 95% of the reason why we are not faster has nothing to do with the type of car we are driving. Our errors typically are FAR more basic than that. So I am always a little skeptical when I hear "my car is different" or "I need to upgrade my car," even when it is me who is saying it
I know I'm late to the party, but I liked this statement. It reminds me of the way people spend ungodly amounts of money on equipment to improve their golf game, when the problem lies in the very basics of their swing. I suppose it is true of any sport - start with the fundamentals.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:19 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by JBH
I know I'm late to the party, but I liked this statement. It reminds me of the way people spend ungodly amounts of money on equipment to improve their golf game, when the problem lies in the very basics of their swing. I suppose it is true of any sport - start with the fundamentals.
Yes, but there is nothing better than uncorking a 350 yard drive straight OB

Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Colin:

Show me your swing...I'll be happy to critique it.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:48 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
lemme get this straight...

wannabe is not very fast?
he wants a critique of his lap to get faster? (why else, right?)
receives it and then some, but is upset about it?

lmao. nice goin' guys. you were too damn helpful!!

maybe the title should've been "praise my vir vid"?

most people would be happy that they receive ADVICE on how to fix their problems IN ADDITION TO receiving the critique.that.they.asked.for.

if you don't want, or need, the advice, and simply trully just want the critique:
you're not very smooth,
nor consistent,
nor precise w/ your turn in's,
nor do you maximize the turn radius,
nor use throttle correctly,
nor take friendly advice and consider it.

you seem to have a response and excuse for everything pointed out to you. "oh i didn't wanna push it there", "well car kept getting loose so i had a tighter line through hogpen", "umm, it's my first time here so i don't think i should've been trying that"... it's one after another. if you have a reason for all the issues pointed out to you, and if you KNOW you would be doing it differently if all those issues (such as crappy tires) weren't there, then why bother asking for a critique?

unless you want help on how to drive ON crappy tires that keep breaking away. if that's the case, you should be WIDENING your turns, NOT TIGHTENING them up. this will put less side load on the car and also allow you to get on the throttle sooner...

Hehe, you got some nerve to make comments like that after the videos you posted. Maybe if you tried my early turn in method you wouldnt be missing apexs by a mile. Heck you hadnt even turned by the time you got to the apex in a couple of videos. You must have wanted to inspect the apex from a distance to see if it was safe to get slower.

Make sure to get binoculars next time.

Note to self: One MUST turn in to meet apex, apex does not magically appear.

As for MY reasons for driving, the only point in me telling them was that most of the time I knew (or lets say suspected) that I could use later turn-ins here or more track out there, I CHOSE not to, for the reasons I stated, what looks like green grass is not always green when you get a little closer. I had my self critique and wanted to see if other folks matched it, and they did.

You must not have read the part where the member poted that a pro racer left "room to spare" at south bend, well that's exactly what I did. If I had been to VIR for years, or several events, your point would make some sense.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:54 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by TD in DC
You didn't disagree on just one thing. You flatly dismissed what I said. Which was FINE and which is why I said: "Ok, then, we were taught by different people with different techniques. Just ignore my critique and keep doing what you are doing. "

Then, someone pointed out to me, in an e-mail, that perhaps I had misread your thinking, and that you would appreciate a further exchange on that point. I thought they might be right (i.e., that you might have wanted a further discussion) since you suggested that you thought I was being sensitive. In other words, it seemed like you were saying "don't be sensitive, just because I don't agree doesn't mean it isn't a fair topic for discussion." So I tried to provide you with what I thought was topical and useful information. Only in your last post did I realize that, not only did you not appreciate the information, you thought it was irrelevant.

Here is exactly what I said to you:

I don't know how I could have made my intent to be helpful more clear, and why the content was relevant to the discussion. I don't expect you to take my suggestions as Gospel, but I would at least expect a simple "Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback I requested." You went out of your way to make it clear that you were not thanking me for anything. It seems like you have some preconceived opinion about me. That's too bad. But in the end I guess it really doesn't matter. I am beginning to understand why some of the veterans around here just don't bother responding at all.
Ok man, I'm not going to match you dissertation for dissertation, you seem to like to listen to yourself type. When you make money doing it you'll be on to something.

Like I said, I'm done with the petty arguing over nothing, track talk or

Edit: oh and by the way, I forgot my DVD to Mpeg converter lags the sound slightly behind the video for some reason, hence it seeming like I was coasting at times. You can hear it on down shifts the best. Just one more excuse to add to the list.

Last edited by wanna911; 03-27-2008 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:16 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by wanna911
Ok man, I'm not going to match you dissertation for dissertation, you seem to like to listen to yourself type. When you make money doing it you'll be on to something.

Like I said, I'm done with the petty arguing over nothing, track talk or

Edit: oh and by the way, I forgot my DVD to Mpeg converter lags the sound slightly behind the video for some reason, hence it seeming like I was coasting at times. You can hear it on down shifts the best. Just one more excuse to add to the list.
You cannot even manage a simple "thanks for taking the time to try to help me even though I disagree." wow. What an ingrate. I bet your mom would be proud.

But seriously, go hire a pro driver. Your explanations\excuses for why you drive the way you drive sound like complete garbage. Either you just do not express yourself in the written word very well, or you are seriously confused and may end up getting intimate with Mr Tirewall in your future. Afterall, early turn-ins and pinching the wheel at track out is like a tirewall striptease no matter how much you try to explain otherwise.

Some friends of mine who met you say you seem nice enough in person. I believe them. But I don't understand your actions here. Sometimes the best type of friends to have are those who try to help by telling you the way things are rather than the way you want them to be.

I am sorry to have wasted both of our time. Like Dell said, I will not be making that mistake anymore.

Last edited by TD in DC; 03-27-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by wanna911
............ you seem to like to listen to yourself type. When you make money doing it you'll be on to something.
And how do you know he doesn't now?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:40 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I am sorry to have wasted both of our time. Like Dell said, I will not be making that mistake anymore.
Come over to the bleachers Todd, there's plenty of and here to go around as we watch from the sidelines.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
Come over to the bleachers Todd, there's plenty of and here to go around as we watch from the sidelines.

Bleachers??? Come on up to my Sky Box......
Old 03-27-2008, 08:47 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Bob, leave my ticket at will call Now THAT'S the high life!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
Bob, leave my ticket at will call Now THAT'S the high life!
There will be a season's pass in the envelope.....
Old 03-27-2008, 09:15 AM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Bleachers??? Come on up to my Sky Box......
I bet you can still catch a wiff of the smell from the box and you still have to pay to park 1/2 mile away. I'll just let the TEVO catch it so I can skip past the informative parts.

At no time have I ever heard }{ say "Do as I do". Plenty of times he has said "Watch this! " while enertaining us all with his personal "Unplanned on track event" AKA Code Brown videos.

Its hard to tell intent in printed words. With no tone or faces to read there is no backround. 99.9% of Renlisters and weekend DE / club racers are here and at the track to have fun. Hitting the fun apex is important too.

Quick Reply: Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)