Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 07:01 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
Bob, thanks but I still am leaving time on the table throughout Oak Tree. I need to brake later and trail the whole way through I think. Toby in his Boxster has a minimum speed of around 50 on RA-1s and mine min is around 43-44 on Hohos. I think I have time in Southbend, T1, and T3 also....probably others, but those especially.
I never felt like I could get through 11 with enough momentum to continue to slow into Oak Tree. I always felt that a quick hit on the gas would keep the back of the car settled through 11 and allow for faster corner speed. Now that I have DA, I will have to try it during the August club race practice sessions.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:10 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Yes, thanks. I just can't get past the whole camber plate thing as I prep my car for G class.
Jim
Get a strut brace and crank the towers in till the hood hits the fenders then shave the sides of the hood and crank in some more.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:01 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kurt M
Get a strut brace and crank the towers in till the hood hits the fenders then shave the sides of the hood and crank in some more.
This is what we did with our car. It works.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:23 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 58 Posts

Gary, The problem there is that some of us have, elsewhere, but come here with a higher HP car, don't know the rules of Rennlist and then try to play the game. We're an unknown entity to you guys, make a few comments and then feel like we're getting fed to the lions.

I spent a lot of time (several years in the late 80s/early 90s) at Summit Point and elsewhere in low HP Datsun 240-260-280Z cars. Does that qualify for low HP cars?

Mike
Originally Posted by Gary R.
I think reading "Speed Secrets" and driving a low(er) HP car should be mandatory to enter DE..
Old 03-25-2008, 08:53 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikelly
Gary, The problem there is that some of us have, elsewhere, but come here with a higher HP car, don't know the rules of Rennlist and then try to play the game. We're an unknown entity to you guys, make a few comments and then feel like we're getting fed to the lions.

I spent a lot of time (several years in the late 80s/early 90s) at Summit Point and elsewhere in low HP Datsun 240-260-280Z cars. Does that qualify for low HP cars?

Mike
You've bounced back well from the initial hammering Mike.. and yes, a Z qualifies!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I never felt like I could get through 11 with enough momentum to continue to slow into Oak Tree. I always felt that a quick hit on the gas would keep the back of the car settled through 11 and allow for faster corner speed. Now that I have DA, I will have to try it during the August club race practice sessions.
That is something I have been really bad about; trying different stuff and then looking at the data. I just need to make it a priority and make time for it....and writing down what I tried when. I usually don't get to see the data until the end of the day and then I don't know what is what.

IIRC Chris L told me that David Murry had him braking at the arrow and traling the whole way around, but I might be wrong about that. I am still in the process of moving my brake marker up (back?) and I think I am at the 1 marker now....will try the arrow for the next event. Right now I have to add just a touch of gas between 11 and 12 but not much.

Looking forward to your findings here. I feel like I am leaving the most time on the table here, but maybe not. I know I need to raise my min. speed as I mentioned in my other post.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Thanks Kurt and Arnie, I know Larry has mentioned that before also.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:37 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Jim, I would love to drive vicariously through you. Send me your data files any time you like and I can guess at what they mean . . .

And yes, Karting would be great. I am out next week, how about the following?
Old 03-25-2008, 09:51 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

TD, that would be great. I'll email you and Bob some data tonight or tomrorow. It is a big file, so I will probably post it to my rennlist site. I really have a lot more to learn about the data. I'd like to see if there is a friction circle in the DL-1 software. I can't find it.

I think the following weekend looks good. I'll email Mark and Sam and also a few others.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:52 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

TD, that would be great. I'll email you and Bob some data tonight or tomrorow. It is a big file, so I will probably post it to my rennlist site. I really have a lot more to learn about the data. I'd like to see if there is a friction circle in the DL-1 software. I can't find it.

I think the following weekend looks good. I'll email Mark and Sam and also a few others.
Sounds good. Sadly, I know how to show you the friction circle, but I don't think that is the most useful way to look at it. Maybe we should get together and start going through the software together. I can show you what little I have learned.

If you can swing it now, I would put in steering position indicator, throttle position indicator, and brake pressure sensor. In this manner, you can look at your inputs directly rather than indirectly from speed, gs, line, etc . . . It really is illuminating. Of course, the more sensors the better, but those three are the most important IMHO.

Last edited by TD in DC; 03-25-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:55 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Cool, I can bring my laptop to karting and we can go over it between races or over beers afterwards.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:25 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Cool, I can bring my laptop to karting and we can go over it between races or over beers afterwards.
That would be great. We should make it a weekend day if we are going to do that. Are they open on Sunday? Let's take this offline . . .
Old 03-26-2008, 12:00 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just wondering ... sometimes having a high hp car can be a true challenge to drive.... yes on the straights they are fast but turn 1 through though oak tree it really takes a lot to drive fast and smooth through those areas, i wouldnt say having a high hp car makes you faster... if you can't work the steering throttle together smoothly you are no where and actually get caught in the more technical sections of the track..

just a different way of looking at it...

not trying to start a 50 page thread or debate but i have had lower HP cars and flat walked down higher HP cars ...
Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 AM
KJinDC
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

TD, let me know when you guys go karting. Good to see you finally surface too.

-KJ
Old 03-26-2008, 01:51 AM
iLLM3
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 930man
just wondering ... sometimes having a high hp car can be a true challenge to drive.... yes on the straights they are fast but turn 1 through though oak tree it really takes a lot to drive fast and smooth through those areas, i wouldnt say having a high hp car makes you faster... if you can't work the steering throttle together smoothly you are no where and actually get caught in the more technical sections of the track..

just a different way of looking at it...

not trying to start a 50 page thread or debate but i have had lower HP cars and flat walked down higher HP cars ...
Totally agree from my experiences thus far...

Quick Reply: Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)