Sponsored by:

Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:38 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
while we're critiquing videos, please take a look at one of mine. I don't think there's much advice anyone can give however. As you'll see, my driving is very smooth, I'm hitting my marks, I'm not coasting, my trailbraking is very good. I might be a tad early, but I was trying to scrub some speed - I think I accomplished that pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIuQQshfxsQ
Excellent video, what more can one say. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
first of all,
i don't feel like i was getting roasted, but i'm dimwitted at times, so maybe i missed it. although, even in *my* thread, i WAS getting a lot of, "you did this worng", and "you should do this instead" etc etc, but that's the whole point of this! i guess you can call that roasting, but i call it advice. most likely it's something that would've been said to me from a passenger seat as well, so that's how i view it.

my apologies for being demeaning, unfortunatley, i find it's the most effective way of driving a point home and/or getting someone's attention. i promise, my remarks come out a bit friendlier in person. sometimes.

second,
i think you may still be missing the point of my videos. you claim that you would rather keep on taking early apexes b/c it works and it's a safer way for you. this is just incomprehensible to me. it's a widely known concept that a LATE apex is the safer way through a corner. i mean, for god's sake, they even have those funny t-shirts w/ a phrase "friends don't let friends apex early". why do you think that is? b/c it's safe???

anyway, back to my videos. yes, each and every one of them shows a mistake. a blown corner. a very late apex. a too early of an apex and then an attempt at correction. whatever it is, they all lead to some sort of a screw up. and that is the point. if you go slow, and screw up a corner, like you do, nothing will happen. NO.THING. but... if you start pushing and going faster, then EACH AND EVERY TIME you screw up, THIS (ie: my video) will happen. guranteed. our goal is to get you to understand that while, for now, what you do seems to be 'ok', it most certainly won't remain that way when your speeds increase.

so the point is, while your mistakes aren't causing you grief at the moment, and you know that the car and you can handle it, then it's fine. but know this, when your speeds increase, your mistakes will have different results as well. you might even end up w/ an entertaining video like me. if you're lucky.
Great post }{.

while we're critiquing videos, please take a look at one of mine. I don't think there's much advice anyone can give however. As you'll see, my driving is very smooth, I'm hitting my marks, I'm not coasting, my trailbraking is very good. I might be a tad early, but I was trying to scrub some speed - I think I accomplished that pretty well.

You are still an a-hole. Sad thing is that it looked like fun and made me nostalgic for the WGI club race.

Although I do not have video, here is the thread about my tank slapper in the same race: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=anatomy

Wanna 911, the thread actually has some relevant information about maintenance throttle etc . . . in it. Specifically, there are times when it feels like you are at the limit and must stay at maintenance throttle to keep from going over when, in reality, if you go through the corner even faster, the car is easier to control because smaller inputs have bigger results (if you are at that level).

Last edited by TD in DC; 03-27-2008 at 06:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:24 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Arnie had me come in and take a look at where this thread was going. You can imagine my chuckling at some of the comments.

My comments?

Thin skins have no place on this forum. I, for one, ever since I started driving solo, have asked someone to hop in the car with me just about every event I have ever attended, even when, and especially when, I became an instructor. I have learned so much. My name isn't Michael, Lewis, Mario, Vic, Andy, Spencer, Wolf, or any of a host of other superb drivers.

Arnie and I always critique each other's driving (although I fired him as an instructor the first time - never instruct your spouse). He says I have a really good line; I know he has more ***** than I. We can all learn from each other!

And 1957 356 (I'll take your car off your hands any time you get sick of it), I instantly recognized that blue Armco even before I saw the post. Holy ****! New underwear??? As Arnie said earlier, I hope you watch your normally superb executions of Turn 8 more than that incredible save!

Nuff said!

TBC/Margo
Old 03-27-2008, 06:44 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if we're ever at the same track, i'd like to ask for a ridealong if that's ok w/ you. ....and if you have a passenger seat installed.

thank you.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:22 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's about time you thanked me.
Originally Posted by TD in DC
You are an a-hole.
Damn, I wanted to be an a-hole!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:26 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

i just flat out dont know anything!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 930man
i just flat out dont know anything!!!!!!
We know THAT! Thank me.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:31 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

bull i thank you for your comments... i will try to learn from now on!!!!

I feel the Force!....lmaoooooooo
Old 03-27-2008, 07:50 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 930man
bull i thank you for your comments... i will try to learn from now on!!!!

I feel the Force!....lmaoooooooo
HUH? You will "try" to learn???? WTF is that? Come on Man, you are either committed or you just wasting our time. Give me 50....
Old 03-27-2008, 07:51 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Originally Posted by }{arlequin

second,
i think you may still be missing the point of my videos. you claim that you would rather keep on taking early apexes b/c it works and it's a safer way for you. this is just incomprehensible to me. it's a widely known concept that a LATE apex is the safer way through a corner. i mean, for god's sake, they even have those funny t-shirts w/ a phrase "friends don't let friends apex early". why do you think that is? b/c it's safe???

anyway, back to my videos. yes, each and every one of them shows a mistake. a blown corner. a very late apex. a too early of an apex and then an attempt at correction. whatever it is, they all lead to some sort of a screw up. and that is the point. if you go slow, and screw up a corner, like you do, nothing will happen. NO.THING. but... if you start pushing and going faster, then EACH AND EVERY TIME you screw up, THIS (ie: my video) will happen. guranteed. our goal is to get you to understand that while, for now, what you do seems to be 'ok', it most certainly won't remain that way when your speeds increase.

so the point is, while your mistakes aren't causing you grief at the moment, and you know that the car and you can handle it, then it's fine. but know this, when your speeds increase, your mistakes will have different results as well. you might even end up w/ an entertaining video like me. if you're lucky.
First of all, I dont correct a turn in, that's asking for trouble, you pick a point an use it, you're creating a world of trouble turning in and correcting before you even get to an apex. Now you are unsettling the car under increasingly high loads.

But ok, even though I disagree on the major concept, I'd rather discus something that is useful. If you miss, or are off on a late apex it is more dangerous IMO. A missed or late early apex is a late apex. And if you turn in too early on an early apex in most cases there is time enough to scrub speed safely, but we are talking about disasterously early. My apexs were not early enough to be dangerous. According to Dell's critique, which most agreed with, I was only early in 2 places, 5a and 7. And a late missed apex in either one could be a write off. If you're driving at the limit, the opposite may be true, but I was not. So for turn 7 I really didnt know any better. Turn 5 I tried late and got sideways, so I left it alone and did what got me through there safely.

Southbend I think there is room to work here as I've seen Dell's video which is fast there while being earlier than I was and Chris Ingle's video was later than I and he's fast there too. My only real concern was leaving room on track out there.

I suck at 11 through oak tree, so much work is needed there, I actually gained on most people entering oak tree, but could never carry the speed I wanted on exit and stayed in 2nd, and 3rd would bog.

Rollercoaster I tried to take the racing line, because the DE line in the other cars seemed slow to me and the amount I gained in the braking zone by being able to carry more speed around 14 into an easier straight line brake was immensely greater than any exit speed a few cars could get on the DE line exiting rollercoaster.

I do have video from later in the weekend of me using all trackout of hogpen, so that is a non issue. It just took me a little while to work up the confidence in the level of grip to go all the way out there. I think I scrubbed some speed to do so, but nevertheless it was done.

I watched PCA clubrace practice very closely today and while Road Atlanta is somewhat different there are a lot of similar concepts to the two tracks. In turn 1 there is at least 7-10 feet or so difference in the lines that many cars in the same groups are running. I know for a fact that a dramtically different line in turn 5 can net you the same result because I've tried it. You can use the curb on exit and carry more speed, or scrub more going in and make a sharper turn and shorten the exit distance and there is no wrong or right way. Same goes for turns 2,3. You'll see as many lines as you see drivers and wild variances in these lines amongst people in the same classes.

Point being, there is always more than one way to skin a cat.

BTW good luck to Matt Einstein, the seconds were falling off as he got used to the tires, and he was on old ones, I expect we'll see some good stuff from him tommorrow.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

i will learn! i will learn!!!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:02 PM
Barfly
Racer

Originally Posted by wanna911

If you miss, or are off on a late apex it is more dangerous IMO. A missed or late early apex is a late apex. And if you turn in too early on an early apex in most cases there is time enough to scrub speed safely, but we are talking about disasterously early. My apexs were not early enough to be dangerous. According to Dell's critique, which most agreed with, I was only early in 2 places, 5a and 7. And a late missed apex in either one could be a write off. If you're driving at the limit, the opposite may be true, but I was not.

This thread will go at least another 5-10 pages.

_________
Jason
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I'd hit it.....
Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'd hit it.....
You again?

Quick Reply: Critique my VIR vid please (be gentle)