Sponsored by:

PSS9 settings for the track

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
Regardless of what everyone says here, maybe you should go out to the track and do one session full hard f&r and then the next full soft f&r and then switch them up using the extreme settings. Keep notes of how the car feels. Keep lap times. Check and record your tire pressures. Once you do this, you should have some knowlege of what the adjustments will do with the car. Then you can start dialing in the settings. I have had two sets of PSS9's and can attest that they should have only put about 3 or 4 settings on the dial as that's about all the noticable adjustment you have.
Mitch,

Larry is not a seasoned track driver, so I'm not sure such changes will be of benefit to someone as new as he is. I could be wrong, but I think he's going to have enough going on just by having to learn not only where the track goes but also comprehending braking, turn-in, apex, throttle and track-out points. Also, Larry's instructor might not be too keen on a student making gross changes to the car when having a clean, stable baseline from which they can work from might be more prudent.

IMO, lap times is the last thing a zero days green student should be worrying about, unless he's a former rally car driver or alpine ski racer.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:40 AM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have messed around with the settings ad nausem. First, there is a big difference between 1 and 2 and 8 and 9. The difference between 2 and 8 is not as much as one might expect. It is not a linear relationship. Second, 9 doesn't work that well on the street because doesn't match the springs that well. I find the ride is smoother on 7 or 8 for street driving. On the track I totally agree that 1 on the front makes it too jittery. As for the rear, my suspension set-up has dialed out the stock understeer so I tend to run the rear one notch softer than the front to give me a little more traction in the rear...but again because I added oversteer to give me more room to play with settings...if that makes sense.

One of the things that has always intrigued me about PSS9s are the spring rates. Fronts are in the 250-300 range and rears are around 600 lb. Quite a difference...why? I would be interested in experiences in changing the PSS9 springs, what is used, etc. I don't know if many people have done that or not. I would like to up the front spring rate to reduce the brake dive...but again, can you do that with PSS9??
Old 03-20-2008, 12:56 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Land Jet
I have the springs that came with the set I bought from Viper Bob. Sorry, I'm new at this and can't give you any more info than that.
call Viper Bob 813 8741911 he is pretty good at this stuff!!
Old 03-20-2008, 02:00 PM
kary993
Drifting

As was said for a new driver these settings are going to be unoticed as the real work is in the driving line, brake zone, and acceleration from the apex.

It is correct the PSS9's settings are not linear as 1 and 2 and 8 and 9 are profoundly different while 3-7 are useless really. I never found in the year I used them that adjusting understeer with PSS9's ever really worked, it was all in the sway bars and the camber set up.

My suggestion is to set them at 2/1 front to back and learn to drive well. Once you can drive consistently well you can play around with different settings. Just a suggestion.

I do agree, once you drive well PSS9's are really not good for the track...that being said you need to have tried double and triple adjustable set ups before arguing Larry or my statement here.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:27 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Mitch,

Larry is not a seasoned track driver, so I'm not sure such changes will be of benefit to someone as new as he is. I could be wrong, but I think he's going to have enough going on just by having to learn not only where the track goes but also comprehending braking, turn-in, apex, throttle and track-out points. Also, Larry's instructor might not be too keen on a student making gross changes to the car when having a clean, stable baseline from which they can work from might be more prudent.

IMO, lap times is the last thing a zero days green student should be worrying about, unless he's a former rally car driver or alpine ski racer.
Oops, sorry I missed that part. You are absolutely correct. Just put them in the middle and forget about it. Or maybe set them as soft as possible since a soft car is more forgiving than a stiff one!!!
Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by kary993
...I do agree, once you drive well PSS9's are really not good for the track...that being said you need to have tried double and triple adjustable set ups before arguing Larry or my statement here.
This is an important point Kary makes. The people who dislike PSS9's are those with TONS of track experience and who have used Motons or JRZ. For all the rest of us, PSS9 are a good compromise setup.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Mikelly
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 69 Posts

I'm running mine on 1 in the rear and 3 in the front. I'm also using HR sway bars set to the middle hole.

There are more sophisticated shocks for a lot more money. But for an HPDE student, the PSS9 has served me well.

Mike

Quick Reply: PSS9 settings for the track