Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sebring - worst event I have ever seen!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008 | 03:15 PM
Sab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Sebring - worst event I have ever seen!

I am in Fort Lauderdale and a friend's team was running a car yesterday in Sebring, so I figured let me drive up there.
He left me some VIP tickets, but once I got there they could not be found.
So I asked what tickets I need and was told $80 and you go in.
i thought that was a little steep, but I was already up there, so I bought the tickets.
Worked my way through the mostly drunken crowd only to find out that the $80 tickets don't allow access to the viewing platform over the pitt row.
Walked the entire infield to find a grand stand to view a good corner.
Not a single stand or seat, nothing. Only garbage beer bottles overflowed porta potties!!! Outright discusting. The infield looked like something out of a Mad max movie. Totally bizarre.
When I arrived there was a one hour yellow flag. I could not even find out what was going on, no leaderbord, no announcments nothing.
Drove back home and watched the finish on TV.

Whoever organized this event oght to be ashamed!!!
Old 03-16-2008 | 03:39 PM
A.Wayne
Formula One Spin Doctor
Rennlist Member

What you went into the infield , you must be nuts the last mad max movie was filmed at Sebring , during the 12 hrs .....
Old 03-16-2008 | 03:47 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Good thing you weren't around in the 80's...

Originally Posted by Sab
I am in Fort Lauderdale and a friend's team was running a car yesterday in Sebring, so I figured let me drive up there.
He left me some VIP tickets, but once I got there they could not be found.
So I asked what tickets I need and was told $80 and you go in.
i thought that was a little steep, but I was already up there, so I bought the tickets.
Worked my way through the mostly drunken crowd only to find out that the $80 tickets don't allow access to the viewing platform over the pitt row.
Walked the entire infield to find a grand stand to view a good corner.
Not a single stand or seat, nothing. Only garbage beer bottles overflowed porta potties!!! Outright discusting. The infield looked like something out of a Mad max movie. Totally bizarre.
When I arrived there was a one hour yellow flag. I could not even find out what was going on, no leaderbord, no announcments nothing.
Drove back home and watched the finish on TV.

Whoever organized this event oght to be ashamed!!!
Old 03-16-2008 | 03:55 PM
MDL
Racer

Sounds like they cleaned it up quit a bit from when I went there 27 or 28 yrs ago. Back then it was a live **** show where ever you turned, not good. Never went back. I seriously considered going this year after Dr Panos who owns the track was interviewed and said they have cleaned up the event quite a bit. I don't think you can blame the organizers for the facility being a mess, they cannot control people who cannot control themselves. Unfortunately that is where a lot of our society is today. I would like to be able to take my grandchildren to the races but I can't deal with the drunken crowds. I went to winter testing and had a blast, got to see the cars run, almost no one there and it was only 10.00 bucks. (maybe 20.00) don't remember.

BTW, I watch the first hour or so and the last 4 hrs and it was one of the best races I've seen for quite a while...glad I stayed home.
Old 03-16-2008 | 03:58 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by SeaCay
Good thing you weren't around in the 80's...
Or the '70s!!!!!
Old 03-16-2008 | 04:31 PM
Gator_86_951
Spell Checker
Rennlist Member

So...you went to a sports car race.
Old 03-16-2008 | 04:34 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MDL
I would like to be able to take my grandchildren to the races but I can't deal with the drunken crowds.
Then you should try the F1 race in Montreal. Sure, some people had a few but everything is quite civilized. Just have to make sure to get grandstand tickets. General admission is a waste of time.
The crowds are huge but you simply need some patience.
I recommend sitting at the hairpin. Closest to the subway and support race paddocks that have full access to everyone. Also access to bathrooms with actual plumbing (you gotta figure out where they are but it's not hard).
Old 03-16-2008 | 04:40 PM
DanS911
Pro

We go to several "sports car races" every year and we have a great time, never been to the 12hr.....very scary....
Rolex 24 awesome
Go to Homestead for the IRL/Rolex later this month, or better yet go to St.Petersburg for the ALMS Grand Prix on April 5th it will restore your faith
Old 03-16-2008 | 07:11 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by DanS911
We go to several "sports car races" every year and we have a great time, never been to the 12hr.....very scary....
Rolex 24 awesome
Go to Homestead for the IRL/Rolex later this month, or better yet go to St.Petersburg for the ALMS Grand Prix on April 5th it will restore your faith
Going to anything in FL during Spring Break time is questionable, unless you are in a sponsored VIP area.
Old 03-16-2008 | 07:18 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sab
Walked the entire infield to find a grand stand to view a good corner. Not a single stand or seat, nothing.
You should've posted here to find Sebring viewing tips. There's a core group of guys who post here who visit Sebring often for DEs and for the 12hrs, and we could've helped guide you where to go, what to see, and what to look for.

This year's Porscheplatz was just as good as previous years' with typically great hospitality from PCAG, PCNA, and PCA. It's always fun to watch the start from a viewing position over the front straight. My favorite turns to see are the entry of T17 on the back straight (there are bleachers here), Bishops (no seats, but it's easy to squeeze through motorhomes and get a fence spot), and T16 (ibid).

Staying for the whole twelve hours can be tiring, but seeing the start and walking the paddock is always worthwhile. Yes, the infield is nuts, but it's entirely possible to avoid all of it.
Old 03-16-2008 | 07:31 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nkhalidi
You should've posted here to find Sebring viewing tips. There's a core group of guys who post here who visit Sebring often for DEs and for the 12hrs, and we could've helped guide you where to go, what to see, and what to look for.

This year's Porscheplatz was just as good as previous years' with typically great hospitality from PCAG, PCNA, and PCA. It's always fun to watch the start from a viewing position over the front straight. My favorite turns to see are the entry of T17 on the back straight (there are bleachers here), Bishops (no seats, but it's easy to squeeze through motorhomes and get a fence spot), and T16 (ibid).

Staying for the whole twelve hours can be tiring, but seeing the start and walking the paddock is always worthwhile. Yes, the infield is nuts, but it's entirely possible to avoid all of it.
Sanity does exist.

Oh, don't forget to thank IMSA for their (very large) portion of the Porscheplatz hospitality.
Old 03-16-2008 | 08:13 PM
mdrums
Race Director

I went for my 1st time this year and had a blast. i saw a lot of my friends like nkhalidi and his dad and some others rennlists that cam up and introduced themselves to me plus some of my track buddy's. Waling the padock o Friday was awesome and you can walk right up and speak with team members! Right beofre the race starts you are allowed out on the front straing and can walk right up to the cars and speak with team members then too. I took a tram right to the infield and it was party central plus lots of cruising up an ddown Midway st. If Sebring makes a good dollar off these party people and cruisers so be it as long as they keep Sebring going. :-)
Old 03-16-2008 | 08:19 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Have you ordered tickets for 09?

The infield looked like something out of a Mad max movie. Totally bizarre.
You could find most of that at WGI in the 70's and if you parked your car in the wrong place, you may return to find it burnt to the ground in the bogs.
Old 03-16-2008 | 08:53 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Sebring is Sebring. That's what makes it memorable. The 12 Hour is still my favorite US "pro" race to attend...although I've always been there with crew/team passes...if you're just stuck in spectator-land, you have to do a lot of walking to the various berms around the track. You can get good viewing, but bring a folding chair and watch out for the fire ants.

I always make sure to take a few strolls thru "Green Park" (the spectator paddock), just for the "spectacle".
Old 03-16-2008 | 10:43 PM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

Well, after all, it IS Sebring!

Quick Reply: Sebring - worst event I have ever seen!