Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dumb aero question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 03:31 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not you, it is the car. I spoke about this very subject of D/E stock SC airflow optimization with Mark Hupfer at Road America last Fall. I am a big fan of his. He dreams up the slightest adjustments to make our cars go faster... he is all about drag reduction.
Let's definitely chat at the LRP Club Race.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:32 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
While we're talking about all things aero has anyone tried those louvers you see over the front wheels of many race cars?

Do you then take out the plastic wheel well?

Does it only help if you're doing 150+??

Inquiring minds want to know...
They work by venting high pressure air inside the wheel well and reduce the lift from that section. Driving in the rain, I can tell you that in my car, anything over about 60mph and you can see the water blasting upwards from the louvers so they are doing the job from those speeds upwards.
Yargk
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Hey Jack, could we see your current underbody?

It's funny you mention ABS plastic as a less common mod on the wrx is to put on the underbody panels from the STI. This includes plastic panels running the length of the rockers and about a foot to a foot and a half in on each side as well as a small rear diffuser. Supposedly these factory Subaru bits were either tested or developed for the ring, they increase high speed stability, and even increase gas mileage by 1-1.5 mpg on the highway. Also, a subaru factory splitter claims a 30% reduction in lift and a .02 point reduction in the coefficient of drag. This stuff works, keep air out from under the car with a low front and keep the underbody smooth.
FredC
Drifting

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
Let's definitely chat at the LRP Club Race.
absolutely. I look forward to meeting you.

Fred
Old 03-18-2008, 09:53 PM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 2,057 Likes on 578 Posts

thanks sundaydriver, I'd love to race someday, and am just trying to get as much knowledge on car setup as possible.
Old 03-19-2008, 11:56 AM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 292 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisp
That car definitely has proven itself to not need one that's for sure! I may bolt something up just to test the idea. I'm probably not fast enough to really tell though.

No harm in trying if you're inclined to do it ...

Scott
Old 03-19-2008, 12:05 PM
stownsen914
Three Wheelin'

Received 292 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
I built a diffuser. I built a front wing. The front wing was especially dumb.

The other thing you can do for the air that does get down underneath is to make sure that the car's underside is generating as little turbulence as possible. Smoothing out the underbelly of my car with a sheet of ABS plastic made a noticeable difference in my laptimes.

Jack -- I see you've built a diffuser. This is for a 911? I built one for my 914 track car, and am just in the process of testing it since late last year. How did you build your diffuser?

I also flat-bottomed my car, using aluminum sheet.

Scott
Old 03-19-2008, 12:07 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the material and am hoping to have it ready to test end of April. I'll report back if i actually get it done.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:54 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chancecasey
I've noticed that with just about every front bumper/splitter setup, the designs always seem to "peel away" the layer of air very close to the ground, usually with a splitter that is parallel to the ground.
Now, for more counterintuitive aero: the front plastic apron on 944 cars (bottom of bumper) is curved so as to make a reverse wing and increase downforce. I have driven my car with it both on and off and, with it off, car understeers worse. An aftermarket splitter has both the profile of stock and a low splitter, but the drag increases and downforce increases reducing understeer.

I think that all undertrays on front ends are really to reduce drag and assumes that the air under the car is soooooo dirty (turbulent) that it won't affect lift much. The air gets very dirty from the car that went through it just before you got there (see flipping Porsche clip).

Quick Reply: dumb aero question