Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

John,
FWIW, the Leatt Moto R should be released in the next week. SFI38.1 approved.
MSRP will be $695

(just got this via email from Leatt; I had emailed them regarding my son's Moto Kart brace and asked about the Moto R).
Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
jorj7
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by IPSC
Are you referring to the D cell?

If so how comfortable is it? Any other impressions?

IPSC
IPSC,

Yes, I was referring to the D cell. Once you figure out how it fits, it's
pretty easy to work with, and for the most part you don't know it's there.
I like it because the harness is not attached to the car, so it doesn't inhibit
entry and exiting or rely on your 5-6 pts to hold it in place.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The D-Cel/Hutchens designs (6 pt. versions) actually work well if they are kept very tight--not just take-out-the-slack tight, but preloaded tight. The problem is that few drivers use them in this fashion.

If you want to go ultra-low budget with a harness-type product (ala D-Cel) try Jay Wright's design. DIY instructions used to be posted somewhere. <$100 for parts.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:43 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

With the new low price Hans Sport why are you putting your head and neck in jeopardy with something not approved by most major race organizations?
Old 03-18-2008, 03:44 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
With the new low price Hans Sport why are you putting your head and neck in jeopardy with something not approved by most major race organizations?
Again I say

I am not a big fan of the Hans for a couple of reasons. 1. They must stay under the belts to work. 2. The time I tried one on and then tried getting out of a car through a window it was an actual impediment to getting out.

I am not looking at this a cost savings, I am trying to determine if this and or this idea (a worn body harness) is a better mouse trap.

IPSC
Old 03-18-2008, 04:43 PM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

After Dale E. was killed most of the major car manufacturers and race organizations spent millions on testing saftey equipment. Again why jeopardize youself with something not approved by people with the most to loose? Just pratice getting out of the car and that will go away, yes it needs to stay under the belts but the newer ones have a bigger lip on the edges to keep the belts in place.
Old 03-18-2008, 05:21 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

You may want to consider an R3 from Safety Solutions. We've sold them to customers instructing students at DE's. Safety Solutions claims the device can be worn with NO shoulder belts so if the instructor is in a student vehicle and they just have the stock 3-pt seatbelt, they can use the R3 device and have head & neck protection. The R3 has a molded pad that goes into the seatback of the car (velcros in) so the device disappears when you sit in the seat. No chance of it getting caught on anything when exiting the vehicle as it sits much lower than the Hans. It is also SFI approved.

We have them on our site http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...id=1529&cid=40

Here is a link to Safety Solutions website: http://www.safetysolutionsracing.com/?ID=75

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 03-18-2008, 10:49 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

The R3 is actually on my list of possible candidates along with the D cell.

Thanks for the info.

IPSC
Old 03-18-2008, 11:20 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I'd do the R3 WAY before I'd go with the D-cel.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:41 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ZAPmobile
After Dale E. was killed most of the major car manufacturers and race organizations spent millions on testing saftey equipment. Again why jeopardize youself with something not approved by people with the most to loose?
Well...

The real-world rule is Trust... But Verfiy. The HANS Device "can" work very effectively, but there are many circumstances where its performance can be suspect... at best. In some circumstances, it is next to useless.

There have been many instances over time where various governing bodies have made mandates based on other factors than simply which somethingorother performed best. In my estimation, this is the case with the HANS device. It can work very well, but I wouldn't venture to call it "the best." The fact is that its performace is rather limited in some respects.

ANY H&N device is better than nothing, and none of them are perfect. What kinds of compromises you can deal with will determine what you need.

Just pratice getting out of the car and that will go away.
This is not true, as there are certain thresholds that just can't be overcome. The HANS Device makes it MUCH harder to exit most cars in many cases, and in my case makes it EXTREMELY difficult.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:51 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IPSC
The R3 is actually on my list of possible candidates along with the D cell.

Thanks for the info.

IPSC
FWIW, I just posted a link yesterday to most of the SFI 38.1 devices I can remember and their websites, prices, etc....
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Well...

The real-world rule is Trust... But Verfiy. The HANS Device "can" work very effectively, but there are many circumstances where its performance can be suspect... at best. In some circumstances, it is next to useless.

There have been many instances over time where various governing bodies have made mandates based on other factors than simply which somethingorother performed best. In my estimation, this is the case with the HANS device. It can work very well, but I wouldn't venture to call it "the best." The fact is that its performace is rather limited in some respects.

ANY H&N device is better than nothing, and none of them are perfect. What kinds of compromises you can deal with will determine what you need.

This is not true, as there are certain thresholds that just can't be overcome. The HANS Device makes it MUCH harder to exit most cars in many cases, and in my case makes it EXTREMELY difficult.
^ + 1

BTW, FWIW and IMHO, as clever and Hubbard and Downing are, they are still trying out outwit the dead guys of physics.
None of their (at last count 6, wings, no wings, friction material, no friction material, small wings, bigger wings, 2" HANS belts, 3" belts, etc) versions of the HANS device are capable of keeping the belts under the device in any off axis impact....again, simple physics.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:27 AM
ZAPmobile
Rennlist Member

A few years back when TRG was the GM factory team in Grand-Am (running the GTO's), I had a chance to talk with the head of saftey for GM racing. He's responsible for designing the saftey systems for all their race cars the Corvette C6R, Nascar, Grand-Am, etc, he said to me, after all their testing the only head and neck device their drivers will wear is a Hans. You guys can wear what ever you want, but I think I'll go with his advice.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:06 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
^ + 1

BTW, FWIW and IMHO, as clever and Hubbard and Downing are, they are still trying out outwit the dead guys of physics.
None of their (at last count 6, wings, no wings, friction material, no friction material, small wings, bigger wings, 2" HANS belts, 3" belts, etc) versions of the HANS device are capable of keeping the belts under the device in any off axis impact....again, simple physics.
Damn physics.

http://www.racingsafetyinstitute.org/HANS%20device.html
Old 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbaker
Hans and containment seat = Happy dead phizix guys.

Quick Reply: Simpson D cell?