Sponsored by:

Simpson D cell?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:12 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Simpson D cell?

Yes I know it's not FIA 38.1 certed but for a DE use (with 5 or 6 points) would this be a decent item for a head and neck restraint?

IPSC
Old 03-14-2008, 04:00 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would suggest doing some web research to review any data/results from sled testing, then ask yourself if you are comfortable wearing it.
IMHO, a H&N restraint for DE use is no different from a H&N restraint for Racing use.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Don't sell yourself short on H&N restraint. I got a cheapie to start with. I about 3 months I had a HANS. I would have saved $$ going for the HANS to begin with. You never know, H&N may become mandantory in DE so you might as well be prepared. Plus it's your head and neck we're talking about!!
Old 03-14-2008, 04:48 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 7 Posts

This will dissuade you: Post-crash medical reports about the D-cell and the Hutchins restraints have included the words "******** damage".

Do I need to elaborate ?
Old 03-14-2008, 05:17 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by pat056
Don't sell yourself short on H&N restraint. I got a cheapie to start with. I about 3 months I had a HANS. I would have saved $$ going for the HANS to begin with. You never know, H&N may become mandantory in DE so you might as well be prepared. Plus it's your head and neck we're talking about!!
I am not a big fan of the Hans for a couple of reasons. 1. They must stay under the belts to work. 2. The time I tried one on and then tried getting out of a car through a window it was an actual impediment to getting out.

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
This will dissuade you: Post-crash medical reports about the D-cell and the Hutchins restraints have included the words "******** damage".

Do I need to elaborate ?
I have read a couple of reports about the Hutchens but not the D CELL, could you point me to those?

Coming from a climbing and mountaineering back ground, the appeal of the D cell is that it is a harness and that it is attached to you. My interest is not saving a couple of dollars here and I am familiar with "proper positioning" of the delicate anatomy.

With the recent changes to the requirements to seat belts I am wondering if H & N restraints will be next for DEs? If so i am looking at all the options.

IPSC
Old 03-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester

Do I need to elaborate ?
Maybe they misunderstood the head protection part?
Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by IPSC
I am not a big fan of the Hans for a couple of reasons. 1. They must stay under the belts to work. 2. The time I tried one on and then tried getting out of a car through a window it was an actual impediment to getting out.
IPSC
Given your concerns listed above, have you considered an ISAAC?
Old 03-14-2008, 10:40 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

D-Cel?

I wouldn't own one, but it's better than nothing.

I am seriously considering getting an Isaac. While I have never "tested it," I am pretty happy with the performance of my HANS. However, there is one rather big problem, and that is that I really cannot get out of the car with it ON.

For racing you are pretty much pidgeon-holed into an SFI device. If you're not racing, the Isaac is hard to beat.

One thing for sure; No device has ever come close to its crash numbers....
Old 03-15-2008, 01:36 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

John,
Another SFI38.1 device is the Leatt Moto R (yes, the one that looks like a toilet seat).
Having been with my son wearing a Leatt Moto GPX/Kart for 2 years (and deciding to test it recently at Moroso ), it is very easy to 'take the Leatt off' in the event of an egress. I have not seen any numbers yet.
No idea if they are shipping the Moto R yet or not.

BTW, beautiful 993 Supercup car in your avatar. New car?
Old 03-15-2008, 01:55 AM
jorj7
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used one for the last two years, but I haven't crashed (knock on wood) during that time. I do know
some people that use them, and have crashed at high speed, and survived without major head/neck
trauma, so I'm comfortable with my choice. By the way, my meaning of high speed is 180mph plus...
Old 03-15-2008, 02:16 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jorj7
....By the way, my meaning of high speed is 180mph plus...
After watching a 35mph sled test, that's fast enough for me.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:05 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
John,
Another SFI38.1 device is the Leatt Moto R (yes, the one that looks like a toilet seat). Having been with my son wearing a Leatt Moto GPX/Kart for 2 years (and deciding to test it recently at Moroso ), it is very easy to 'take the Leatt off' in the event of an egress. I have not seen any numbers yet.
No idea if they are shipping the Moto R yet or not.
If it were REALLY easy to take off, it might work. Otherwise it would be the same problem as the HANS; it would get caught in the door openning. I have considered it.

BTW, beautiful 993 Supercup car in your avatar. New car?
I wish, Lew. Out of my price range by a long shot. It is a customer car that I will be maintaining. I'm currently doing the graphics.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:42 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
If it were REALLY easy to take off, it might work. Otherwise it would be the same problem as the HANS; it would get caught in the door openning. I have considered it.
The Leatt Moto GPX/Kart is VERY easy to get off. You can remove one/both side latches and it simply falls away. From the pictures, the Moto R looks to be the same.

If I were still driving, I'd buy a Moto R, just to try it and see how it goes.
Old 03-18-2008, 03:43 AM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jorj7
I've used one for the last two years, but I haven't crashed (knock on wood) during that time. I do know
some people that use them, and have crashed at high speed, and survived without major head/neck
trauma, so I'm comfortable with my choice. By the way, my meaning of high speed is 180mph plus...
Are you referring to the D cell?

If so how comfortable is it? Any other impressions?

IPSC
Old 03-18-2008, 08:59 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey;

Another thing that soured me on the D-cel was the "service life" for the webbing. When you "have" to buy a new one every few years, they don't look so economical anymore.

Quick Reply: Simpson D cell?