Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2008 | 08:57 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by speedread
Another consideration is how you fit in your car with your helmet. I only fit with an Arai. It is maybe an inch shorter than my previous helmet that did not work in my present car. It also helped that I used lower seat mounts, and took out the seat padding in my GT3 seats. It all fits quite well and comfortably now.
That's why I went with an Arai. I had a Bell and it was taller. My head rubbed. Then I switched cars and mounted the driver's seat to the floor. All is good now. I can wear my Bell again but I greatly prefer the Arai.
Old 03-09-2008 | 09:28 PM
Jewels
Rennlist Member

When you have an XL or XXL helmet head size ...you must try the particular helmet on IN the car you will be driving.
I had a Bell that seemed to fit fine ...but once in the car , because of the size of it with my Butler seat and Hans on it pushed my head down. Ended up with an Arai as this was the best fit for my situation.

Moral here is make sure you try it on IN the car with all safety gear in place
Old 03-09-2008 | 09:57 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

The G Forces are fine but you'll definitely notice a difference in build quality with a more expensive brand helmet. I've used G Forces for autocross, and the inside feels spongy and the chin strap didn't secure the helmet very well. I wouldn't trust it to stay on in an accident, at least the way it fit me. I've used Simpsons and Bells since then, and they both fit better and the inside feels more solid. It's hard to explain - you just have to try one on. I'll be surprised if you don't notice a marked difference over a G Force.

From a practical standpoint, the GF's only come in a few sizes (S, M L, etc.). Many of the more expensive helmets are available in numerical sizes, so you have a much wider range of sizes to find a good fit.

All that being said, I would feel comfortable DE'ing with a G Force but, as with most things, the more expensive helmets are better.
Old 03-10-2008 | 11:06 PM
todinlaw
Rennlist Member

All helmets are not created equal , Governmental standards are minimum standards, Manufactures are free to exceed them some by wide margins. It is important to trust the manufacture because compliance with standards is dictated by quality control. they don't test every helmet, otherwise you could never buy one new. So you rely on the standards of the company, the number of helmets it randomly tests and so on. Bell among others has one of the best reputations in the industry. No affiliation, just knowledge by litigation. Rule of thumb, you get what you pay for.A more expensive helmet most likely has higher manufacturing costs because they spends more on research development and quality control. So Spend big.

Quick Reply: DE Helmets