Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harness With Stock Seats in 997S

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 08:42 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen someone modify his seat with the holes for a 5 point harness. I have no idea whether this is a good idea but it seems better than using a harness with stock seats.

BTW, PBOC in Florida won't allow harnesses with stock seats either. Thank goodness the clubs are becoming more safety conscience. For your question, I would stay with the stock system until you are ready to go the whole proper route.
Old 03-04-2008, 03:09 PM
wlittleman
Advanced

There is very good input from members here. I'll chime in with another option, which is currently my setup (for the past 2 years). You'll still need a harness bar or roll bar to attach the shoulder harness. I use the Schroth Profi II ASM. Look towards the middle of the web page:
http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/s...ition/profi-II

It's a compromise, and the belt can be converted to a 5 or 6 pt once you get race seats installed and add the substrap. However, it can never be used with a hans due to the ASM (anti-submarining) fuse that Schroth put on the inside shoulder strap. The shoulder straps must also be guided inside the headrest posts (if you have any). Barring that, I would not go with a harness.

Many clubs do not allow 4pt harnesses. Also, many clubs haven't evaluated the Schroth Profi II ASM belts either. It's more conservative for them just bar all 4 pt harnesses. I'm sure they aren't as good as 5pt or 6pt harnesses, but testing by Schroth shows that they are an improvement over the non-fused 4 pt harnesses and the 3pt OE belts. There is a video that you can download on that same link above.

I plan to install a racing seat and add the substrap later this year.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:24 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wlittleman
Many clubs do not allow 4pt harnesses. Also, many clubs haven't evaluated the Schroth Profi II ASM belts either. It's more conservative for them just bar all 4 pt harnesses. I'm sure they aren't as good as 5pt or 6pt harnesses, but testing by Schroth shows that they are an improvement over the non-fused 4 pt harnesses and the 3pt OE belts. There is a video that you can download on that same link above.

I plan to install a racing seat and add the substrap later this year.
As an instructor it is scary for me to see that a student has four point harnesses. I picture myself and the student sliding in a crash. I wish everyone could convert to a 6 point system; except for, of course, beginning students with stock seats and 3 point belts.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:17 PM
wlittleman
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedread
As an instructor it is scary for me to see that a student has four point harnesses. I picture myself and the student sliding in a crash. I wish everyone could convert to a 6 point system; except for, of course, beginning students with stock seats and 3 point belts.
On occasion, I will instruct as well. I will opt for a 3pt harness over a typical 4pt harness; but a 4pt Schroth Profi II ASM over a 3pt. harness. Conversely, I'm not a big fan of 5/6pt harnesses without a H&N restraint. I'm well aware that I've compromised the safety of this car both on the street and the track by making it dual purpose. I regret that I cannot swing the purpose built car with trailer and hauler, and sometimes, I regret that I didn't leave the car stock (no roll bar, no harness, no r-comps).
Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mdrums,
i finally ordered the gt3 seats being put in as we speak...most of my friends who have them LOVE them on and off the track unless you are really fat or tall 2600 bucks at suncoast...go for it....

you can try my car out next month at sebring...

mk
Old 03-05-2008, 10:22 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrbillfll
I assume the buckle will break on a hard impact... (before my ribs) -YMMV.

(torso harness)
I'd rank the "torso harness" up there with lawn darts on the scale for potential damage. Talk about a jerry-rigged design...

Old 03-05-2008, 10:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mkk62
mdrums,
i finally ordered the gt3 seats being put in as we speak...most of my friends who have them LOVE them on and off the track unless you are really fat or tall 2600 bucks at suncoast...go for it....

you can try my car out next month at sebring...

mk
+1 on that. I've had the gt3 seats in my daily driver now for several months, & love them.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:43 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have any luck with fitting the GT3 seats to a 993?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:38 PM
speedread
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wlittleman
.......I'm not a big fan of 5/6pt harnesses without a H&N restraint.........
I totally agree on the H&N restraint. It has already saved me in a side crash, as did my side cage bar. No pain except $ after all was totally restored to "new".
Old 03-07-2008, 12:22 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I would want and need the GT3 seats that the seat back is adjustable. these would work for everyday driving too. How would something like this fit in my car that came with power seats? i know the powerseat portion would not work anymore but would I have to drill holes and install new brackets?
Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 PM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

mdrums
i believe that all race seats are one piece(stronger and safer) although some companies make seats with holes for harnesses thtat recline ...may be a good alternative for you..
http://www.sparcousa.com/pseats_street.asp?id=193

the euro 996 gt3 seats that i got fit the stock rails, but do not recline.

mk
Old 03-07-2008, 11:29 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
I would want and need the GT3 seats that the seat back is adjustable. these would work for everyday driving too. How would something like this fit in my car that came with power seats? i know the powerseat portion would not work anymore but would I have to drill holes and install new brackets?
No new holes, and so long as your are happy with the standard position, no new brackets. They bolt right in, as the previous poster mentioned. I think they sit lower than stock seats, & iirc you're fairly tall, so you should like that.

I'd be very surprised if you can't find someone at the track that has a set. Sit in them & see what you think. I've not had anyone sit in mine and not love them. Also I know one guy who is about 6' 3", has them in his 996, & loves them.
Old 03-08-2008, 07:13 AM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Mike, you are where I was about 6 months ago... No good and easy option for a dual-purpose 997S. In the end, to be safe I knew I'd have to put in a roll bar, harnesses, and the new OEM 997 GT2 seats. I figured that package would probably be $10,000. Those were the only seats that had the thorax air bags, which I wanted for several reasons (no fault light, no tinkering with federally mandated safety equipment, no issues if ever in an accident on the street and a passenger is hurt, etc.). So, instead of going there with my 997S, I got a track car
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2008, 09:41 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks for the replys everyone...again I asked this question because I could not see how these 4pt belts with stock seats would actually work in my 997S.

I will just have fun at me DE's with my stock car and my CG-Lock. Or unless some GT3 seats come up very cheap or a race seat that actually fits my large frame.

I sat in a bucn of race seats at Wine Country Motorsports in Jupiter FL 3 weeks ago just to check them out. I am a big guy...not fat but big and part of my hip is the carbon fiber socket for my prosthetic leg. None of these seats fit width wise for me.

see ya, Mike
This might be more work than you're willing to do, but have you considered having a seat custom made to suit your size/situation?
You could remove the stock seat, install your race seat, harness truss/bar (assuming you are OK with running a 6 point and seat without a roll bar...different topic/discussion) and after the event, put the stock seat back in.
Of course, you would likely then have the issue of 'equal seats/equal restraints' to deal with for student and instructor.

Like most, I started down this path with my former RSAmerica....in the end, I just bought the Cup car and was done with it all.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:17 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Ron, I have thought about a dedicated track car but I do not have the funds right now or anywhere to put another car at my house nor a trailer to pull the thing. Also I'd have to find somethign with a Tiptronic style transmission for my situation. I would like to stay "Porsche" but also thought about a few years old BMW M3 with the SMG tranny.

Quick Reply: Harness With Stock Seats in 997S