Sponsored by:

DE Social Poll of my own

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2008 | 02:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TR6
This is the second reference in this thread to the idea that everyone driving a Porsche or that is a member of PCA has tons of money. Not true at all. We see everything from the CEO that has a 997 GT3 to the cash-strapped college student driving a worn out 1985 944 or Miata. In our region, we have quite a mix of socio-economic backgrounds. A lot of people have to budget very carefully to participate in DE. Having said that, in our region (I can't speak for others), the price (between $250-$295 per weekend) is a bargain for what you get.
Same wide range of demographics here. The great thing is that for the most part, everyone mixes together in the common interest of flogging around the track whatever they have to drive. Whether I could afford it or not, i wouldn't be interested in the experience if it weren't this way.
Old 03-04-2008 | 03:31 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Originally Posted by TR6
This is the second reference in this thread to the idea that everyone driving a Porsche or that is a member of PCA has tons of money. Not true at all. We see everything from the CEO that has a 997 GT3 to the cash-strapped college student driving a worn out 1985 944 or Miata. In our region, we have quite a mix of socio-economic backgrounds. A lot of people have to budget very carefully to participate in DE. Having said that, in our region (I can't speak for others), the price (between $250-$295 per weekend) is a bargain for what you get.
Ya know, when I was in SCCA and NASA started coming up in popularity, there were many a time I heard gripes about NASA cars and drivers because they tended to POS cars with huge dents and miss colored panels and just a very crash up derby look and feel about themselves and their cars. Guys didn't want to race with others who had NASA splashed on the car, usually was covering a dent. But more importantly they showed little respect for themselves, car or appearance. I mean no disrespect against anyone no matter their socio-eco position, and I love meeting and hanging out with all types of people. But don't make things cheap so that just any ol' body can show up to these events. Lets keep in mind that my life (as well as all the other instructors) are on the line with complete strangers and I'm not really interested in if low budget Jonnie can afford to be, and take me in his car. I want to live

There's an old saying

"You gotta pay to play!" Let us never forget what cheapening things does to that being cheapened (products from China, Walmart, cheap labor, etc.......)

Quick Reply: DE Social Poll of my own