Sponsored by:

Electrical System cut off switch

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 12:59 PM
DanR
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical System cut off switch

First of all - I have done several searches for this and do not seem to find the answer I am looking for as most of the posts refer to preventing dead batteries)

As part of my 'safety first' approach I am planning on adding an electrical system kill switch to the interior of my 944. My initial thought was to run some thick cable between the kill switch and the negative bettery, however after thinking about this, if the car was still running would the alternator not still keep the current flowing to the engine?

Do I also therefore need to wire it to the alternator as well?

Second - any good places to get the thick low resistance wire I will need to do the job?

Thanks as ever for any advice

Dan
Old 03-01-2008, 01:05 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DanR
First of all - I have done several searches for this and do not seem to find the answer I am looking for as most of the posts refer to preventing dead batteries)

As part of my 'safety first' approach I am planning on adding an electrical system kill switch to the interior of my 944. My initial thought was to run some thick cable between the kill switch and the negative bettery, however after thinking about this, if the car was still running would the alternator not still keep the current flowing to the engine?

Do I also therefore need to wire it to the alternator as well?

Second - any good places to get the thick low resistance wire I will need to do the job?

Thanks as ever for any advice

Dan
I just put one of these in my race car
The website www.batterycutoff.com has great 944 installation instructions

This was the only way I found to kill power to the battery from inside the car and have a external battery cut off for race compliance.

Installation took about 3 hours total

"The new "Fully Electronic Master Battery Cutoff Switch" is what all other switches would like to be. This solenoid based cutoff switch brings high-end factory race car technology to the rest of the racing world. It's revolutionary multiple point shut-off capabilities with standard toggle switches, easy wiring and no complicated manual pull cables to deal with make it quite simply the best on the market. So unique it’s patented!
The switch includes ignition kill and alternator protection circuits. Common uses are race-car battery disconnect, antitheft device for all cars, trucks and RVs along with seasonal storage. The switch is designed to be used in all types of vehicles; both on and off the road. Switch includes easy installation wiring diagram and alternator protection resistor. Easily replaces existing older style manual switches"
Attached Images  
Old 03-01-2008, 01:53 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Install the battery cutoff in the engine bay near the battery, using a 4 pole switch designed to isolate the alternator to prevent surge damage. Run a remote pull (CDOC, etc) through the firewall into the cockpit. The cable is much smaller. I am doing this with two remote cables, one inside the car one outside.

I'm not using the fancy electronic one, just a 4 pole longacre purchased from paragon.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:21 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I've seen setups that break the battery & the fuel pump. No chance of frying the alternator. On injected cars, once the fuel pump stops, so does the motor.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm not using the fancy electronic one, just a 4 pole longacre purchased from paragon

The switch to a cockpit battery kill switch came for me when at Road America I missed race grid. I killed the battery as normal when I got out of the car after Q session. Leaving for race grid, I am all strapped in, turned the key and of course I forgot to re set the kill switch, 7 mins later I get to grid and it is closed. The race made for some great video coming from the back but I vowed, never again...
Old 03-01-2008, 04:03 PM
DanR
Drifting

Can you explain in more detail what a remote pull (CDOC, etc) is. Is it a sheather pull wire the connects to the real cut off switch? Who supplies these?

Any pictures of peoples set up? (battery and switch in cabin)

Thanks Dan
Old 03-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Edit: Switch is sold

Originally Posted by Eric in Chicago
"The new "Fully Electronic Master Battery Cutoff Switch" is what all other switches would like to be. This solenoid based cutoff switch brings high-end factory race car technology to the rest of the racing world. It's revolutionary multiple point shut-off capabilities with standard toggle switches, easy wiring and no complicated manual pull cables to deal with make it quite simply the best on the market. So unique it’s patented!
The switch includes ignition kill and alternator protection circuits. Common uses are race-car battery disconnect, antitheft device for all cars, trucks and RVs along with seasonal storage. The switch is designed to be used in all types of vehicles; both on and off the road. Switch includes easy installation wiring diagram and alternator protection resistor. Easily replaces existing older style manual switches"
I've got one of these in my car as well and love it - I wouldn't go without it. In fact, I have 2...one sitting here by my desk. I accidentally ordered 2 last year and will gladly sell the one I have that is still in the box. CDOC charges $199...I'll take $140 shipped to the continental US.

PM me if interested.

Last edited by Rick; 03-04-2008 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:55 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you explain in more detail what a remote pull (CDOC, etc) is. Is it a sheather pull wire the connects to the real cut off switch? Who supplies these?

Any pictures of peoples set up? (battery and switch in cabin)

Thanks Dan
Here's the one I have from CDOC:

http://store.cdoc.com/detail.asp?id=...nd+Pull+Cables

They also have a longer one. Works great.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:24 PM
DanR
Drifting

ok so I now understand the parts I need and actually have a spare pull from my extinguisher set up. Can anyone show me a pic of their set up and a basic diagram of how to wire it up. Treat my as an idiot with any answer as even the most basic of 'electrical' items normally goes over my head. But I will get there
Old 03-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

ok so I now understand the parts I need and actually have a spare pull from my extinguisher set up. Can anyone show me a pic of their set up and a basic diagram of how to wire it up. Treat my as an idiot with any answer as even the most basic of 'electrical' items normally goes over my head. But I will get there
http://www.pezzano.com/work/batteryc...structions.pdf
Old 03-04-2008, 04:07 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a writeup for the 944 Spec Guys herehttp://944spec.org/944SPEC/content/view/77/25/
It covers the basics that you are looking for
Old 03-04-2008, 05:36 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine to the fuel pump as well.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:48 PM
DanR
Drifting

Many thanks Jerry - exactly what i was after

Quick Reply: Electrical System cut off switch