Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fire System Installation

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008 | 02:56 PM
sbarton
Instructor

Default Fire System Installation

I'm planning on installing my Firecharger AFFF Fire Supression System (2.3L) in my 911 this weekend.
Where do you guys recommend that I install the nozzles (3)? Obviously in the passenger compartment, engine compartment, and over the fuel tank, but looking for more specific locations in those areas to make it more useful and efficient. Pics would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

-Scott
Old 02-20-2008 | 03:27 PM
Gasser
Burning Brakes

I was told that the one in the drivers compartment should be between your legs poing up towards your lap or chest. Don't aim for the face but mid body. I would also like other opinions as I want to do this soon.

Old 02-20-2008 | 05:07 PM
insite
Three Wheelin'

scott -

i was a fire protection engineer for several years designing special hazard systems. everything depends on the suppression agent used, the system pressure, local application vs. total flood, and the design of the nozzles. basically, there should be EXACT manufacturer's instructions on proper nozzle placement. follow these VERBATIM or the system will fail to properly protect you. if the manufacturer does not provide this type of information, FIND ANOTHER ONE. i can't stress this last sentance enough.

before working as an FPE, i was a forensic engineer. i spent a lot of years investigating various mishaps and accidents for insurance companies. i can't tell you how often an extinguishable fire became catastrophic because of improper suppression system design or installation.
Old 02-20-2008 | 05:17 PM
sbarton
Instructor

insite, thanks for the advice.

I certainly understand that placement is of the utmost importance and is why I am asking here. Obviously it will be different for each car, as each car will has unique circumstances that will need addressing. For a less than $500 system, it is unreasonable to think the manufacturer has tested and documented the system on every single car imaginable. There is a description of how the nozzle works, what the flow pattern is, and roughly what pressure (depends on how many nozzles and length of tubing used) as well as general recommendations for placements.

Again, I am looking for something more specific to my 911 Carrera. Pictures would probably help the most. So if you have a fire supression system installed on your car, please post some pics of nozzle placements.

Thanks.

-Scott
Old 02-21-2008 | 10:41 AM
srf506
Three Wheelin'

I run HALON and I have the one in the fuel cell area pointing down right to the center of the fuel cell; the passenger compartment one is mounted to the steering column, about 2/3rds of the way up, and pointing to the floor, with an angle toward the lower front edge of the seat; and the one in the engine compartment is mounted on the firewall, high and in the center of the motor.

Jim
Old 02-21-2008 | 06:53 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

I placed one in the front pointed at the fuel tank and the other two in the passenger compartment. One pointed towards my legs and up and the other on my main hoop pointed down over my shoulder towards my torso. My first thought is to protect me (and give me time to get out) and the car second. That's why I don't have one in the engine compartment. Any thoughts?
Old 02-21-2008 | 08:10 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Another thing to give some thought to is the location of the tank and lines.

Consider likely crumple patterns from a collision and whether this would be likely to pinch/kink metal lines and/or compromise the tank itself.
Old 02-21-2008 | 08:22 PM
ApexPerformance
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We sell ESS, the competitor for Firecharger, and ESS recommends placing:

- two nozzles in the engine compartment to create a cross/hatch overspray
- one nozzle on the driver - spraying over the legs - most fires start in the engine compartment and reach the leg area first.
- one nozzle on the fuel cell (if you have a 5.0 liter system that can handle up to 4-6 nozzles).

If you have a 5.0 liter system (I think Firecharger still has the 4.6), you can do up to 6 nozzles so two on the engine, 2 on driver and 2 on fuel cell is perfect.

Toll free: 866-505-2739
Direct: 843-299-0997
EM: info@apexperformance.net
www.apexperformance.net

Save 10% on your next order over $75 on most items- enter Promocode Rennlist on your next order or mention Rennlist during your phone order.

Visit us on Facebook
Old 02-21-2008 | 08:24 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
I placed one in the front pointed at the fuel tank and the other two in the passenger compartment. One pointed towards my legs and up and the other on my main hoop pointed down over my shoulder towards my torso. My first thought is to protect me (and give me time to get out) and the car second. That's why I don't have one in the engine compartment. Any thoughts?
Do you keep your shield open while driving? I would be concerned the nozzle above your head will end up spraying you in the face while you are frantically trying to get out of a burning car. The instructions with my system said to point the nozzle below the chest level to prevent getting blasted in the face.
Old 02-21-2008 | 10:29 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

My shield is closed. The nozzle near my head is pointed more down towards my body and legs. My concern with adding more nozzles for the engine compartment was that with 4 or 5 of them, the bottle would run out before it did any good on any one area. It's a SPA Fire System, 3.375L (IIRC) and only came with three.

Originally Posted by sjanes
Do you keep your shield open while driving? I would be concerned the nozzle above your head will end up spraying you in the face while you are frantically trying to get out of a burning car. The instructions with my system said to point the nozzle below the chest level to prevent getting blasted in the face.
Old 02-22-2008 | 12:04 AM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Originally Posted by insite
scott -

i was a fire protection engineer for several years designing special hazard systems. everything depends on the suppression agent used, the system pressure, local application vs. total flood, and the design of the nozzles. basically, there should be EXACT manufacturer's instructions on proper nozzle placement. follow these VERBATIM or the system will fail to properly protect you. if the manufacturer does not provide this type of information, FIND ANOTHER ONE. i can't stress this last sentance enough.

before working as an FPE, i was a forensic engineer. i spent a lot of years investigating various mishaps and accidents for insurance companies. i can't tell you how often an extinguishable fire became catastrophic because of improper suppression system design or installation.
Can you tell us about some common problems you saw? What is your opinion on nozzle placement for the driver?

In my own case I now check the AFFF based system for a working guage. I have a safecraft unit and the guage corroded from the foam I guess and stuck on the green zone. I noticed that on a hot day the pressure did not change! I used my nitrogen tank regulated to like 200psi and the guage did not move. I let some gas out and the guage did not move. Moral of the story...guages don't work sometimes and you need to check them.

Another problem is overnight lows can frezze your AFFF bottle and in the morning for a race you got no protection.

Quick Reply: Fire System Installation