Sponsored by:

nurburgring taxi ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:29 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 890 Likes on 586 Posts
Default nurburgring taxi ?

a biz trip will have me in Deutschland in mid march.
Driving the ring would be fun, but i'm not sure a rental car with dicey insurance is the best idea.
A friend suggested that a pay-for-play ride-along-taxi might be a good indoctrination.

do any of you have any experience with vendors that do this?

if so, details please.

cheers

Craig
Old 02-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Bryan Watts
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The BMW ring taxi (BMW M5's driven by folks like Hans Stuck or Sabine Schmitz) has a wait list over a year long I believe. I'm not sure what other options exist, as this is the ride that most folks talk about taking.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:52 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Craig, I drive the ring many times each year - I will be back for 4 days if driving over easter.

I driver min of 500 kms per day on the track - 2000 km in a 4 day weekend.

Use www.rent-racecar.de - Theo the owner is awesome.

They have very well prepared cars.

Take your pick.... they list the cars on the site...

Norm
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Norm is certainly a "ringer" and his advice is some of the best you can get. There are several other "taxi" services including an old mini-cooper powered by an NSX engine. (this guy is the original ring taxi ). I have also seen a Dodge Viper taking people for rides. It is very hard to get a seat in the M5, but you can always try and book one. Your other opportunity is to drop in the paddock and hook up with a local ringer. For the price of toll ticket, you can usually get a ride. I had an hour of my ring driving paid for from a racer who enrolled in a vintage race taking place that weekend. (His buddy thought they were doing the F1 circuit and told him it was an easy track to learn!!!! DUhhhh).
Old 02-19-2008, 07:33 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

You should definitely try to drive it, assuming you have enough time to learn the track on Playstation (GT4) or Forza. If not, then don't try to drive it; it takes a loooong time to learn. The ring-taxi is awfully expensive for what you get, IMHO. I can't imagine paying for a ride, esp. their rates.

p.s. did I mention it's by far the best track you'll ever drive? Absolutely amazing, and on a completely different level than U.S. tracks.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:23 PM
troppo
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

anyone have a website for the ring taxi (going to be over there in the fall)?
Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best site I have found is :

http://nurburgring.org.uk/

It will give you the important info.

The site is from Ben Lovejoy (a great guy and very knowledgable)- I have eaten dinner with him a couple of times at the Pistenklaus - you gotta eat there.

Also, most of the drivers stay at the Dorint hotel. Last time there I rode the elevator down with some of the German DTM touring car drivers - they were nice and it was pretty cool...

Your balcony overlooks the F1 track...

I go there for the DTM weekend too and you can watch the race from your balcony.

Norm
Old 02-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Chris L.
Pro

It is also very likely that there are slots booked for the BMW taxi that are not full. Obviously 3 people can go and there were people showing up the day we went out asking if anyone had only 2. They were hooked up with those rides so it can be done.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherEric
You should definitely try to drive it, assuming you have enough time to learn the track on Playstation (GT4) or Forza. If not, then don't try to drive it; it takes a loooong time to learn. The ring-taxi is awfully expensive for what you get, IMHO. I can't imagine paying for a ride, esp. their rates.

p.s. did I mention it's by far the best track you'll ever drive? Absolutely amazing, and on a completely different level than U.S. tracks.
+100000000

This advice is spot-on in every way. You will NOT regret it. I'm going to go back using Norm's guy next time I go. The 'Ring rocks!!

Norm, do you just do tauristfahrten days or do you go at other times?
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

The BMW taxi isn't cheap but I've paid more for less fun. From the site (http://ring-taxi.bmw-motorsport.com) it looks like the current run of tickets is sold out. There's another offering in April but you may be able to pick up a cancellation. If you can swing the German give a call or email (E-Mail: ringtaxi@ok-speedmarketing.com, Telefon: + 49 (0)2691 93 20 20). A good bet is as noted to split the fare with someone who's got < 3 riders - you book the whole taxi, not per seat. The office is in the car park at the track & they keep a waiting list.

Everything else noted here is spot on, as usual. Practice first if you're going to drive. Rent a race car if you're going to drive. Study Ben Lovejoy's site and you'll probably meet folks. Carefully consider your exposure. But do go - it's stupendously challenging and fun.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:40 AM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ngoldrich
Craig, I drive the ring many times each year - I will be back for 4 days if driving over easter.

I driver min of 500 kms per day on the track - 2000 km in a 4 day weekend.

Use www.rent-racecar.de - Theo the owner is awesome.

They have very well prepared cars.

Take your pick.... they list the cars on the site...

Norm
Originally Posted by TheOtherEric

thanks for your, and other peoples comments.

I'm going to stick with trying to find a drive-along if possible since i haven't played a video game since PACMAN

the $$$$$ BMW ring taxi will probably be challenging to get a seat on, but there must be other options and those that persevere, sometimes get lucky
I'll be in the area Mar 12, 13, 14.
Maybe i'll hang out at the toll booth for a bit until i see a likely opportunity?

cheers

Craig
Old 02-20-2008, 12:58 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
Maybe i'll hang out at the toll booth for a bit until i see a likely opportunity?
That's actually a viable strategy (really hanging in the parking lot), particularly if you've met Ringers through Lovejoy's site.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:32 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As Ed says, hanging in the parking lot will get you a ride. Dr. J has run a ton of tracks and for him to attest to the enormity of driving the ring should give you an idea of just how much it is like Disney World in the eyes of a kid. The cars in the parking lot will blow your mind. I have seen more exotic cars hanging in the lot than at most car shows. On March 15th, it looks like there is a VLN test day sponsored by BF Goodrich. That usually means leading up, there will be a busy paddock. I have seen non-plated cars on the ring practicing informally prior to events closed practice time.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ed devinney
That's actually a viable strategy (really hanging in the parking lot), particularly if you've met Ringers through Lovejoy's site.
Originally Posted by bobt993
As Ed says, hanging in the parking lot will get you a ride.
<snip>
sounds like my timing may work out well.

cheers

Craig
Old 02-21-2008, 05:13 PM
hammerwerfer
Racer

Originally Posted by cgfen
a biz trip will have me in Deutschland in mid march.
Driving the ring would be fun, but i'm not sure a rental car with dicey insurance is the best idea.
A friend suggested that a pay-for-play ride-along-taxi might be a good indoctrination.

do any of you have any experience with vendors that do this?

if so, details please.

cheers

Craig
Craig,

Looks like your timeing is a bit off.

Sonntag, 09.03.08 08:00 bis 18:00 Uhr Touristenfahrten, 09.03.2008
(Nordschleife)
Sonntag, 16.03.08 08:00 bis 18:00 Uhr Touristenfahrten, 16.03.2008
(Nordschleife)

The 'ring Taxi tickets are as hard to find as rocking horse poo.

If you want a nice quick lap, it won't cost you a penny. Maybe a bier or two after.

Let me know when you are in the area, and I can hook you up with some decent drivers.

What Norm says about Theo is correct. A great guy to do business with. You might also have a look at the 75 Experience! for a bit of instruction, or I can show you around in Theo's car.

Ed

Last edited by hammerwerfer; 02-21-2008 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: nurburgring taxi ?