Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going to try race tires (R888); any pointers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 09:04 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just think everything is up in general. Seems like race fuel stayed artificially low then jumped last year. They definitely lagged behind street price hikes. Then, when Michelin went from Yellow Cups to Blues, they jumped $ 300+. They were already up from when I started before the switch. Support's up over the last couple of years as well. It's all tied to the economy. Everything's just more expensive these days, especially stuff tied to oil. The cup is still a bullet-proof, reasonable platform to operate for what it is. Hard to beat the bang for the buck for a pure race car. I just want something I can really rack the miles up on for cheap.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:23 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
I just want something I can really rack the miles up on for cheap.
Here ya go, chief....
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2008, 11:10 AM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JW in Texas
I think it's been more then a few months. Things really started ratcheting up within the last 6 months or so. The first couple of years weren't too bad.
Jay to run a Cup on a reasonable budget you have to have a source of takeoffs available. Without a doubt slicks are the largest component of cup car racing. I have 2 IMSA Cup racers near me that have been very generous with their takeoffs.

I still profess that outside of slicks my Cup car has not been unreasonably expensive to run. In 2-1/2 years of racing I've blown 1 clutch/pressure plate, 1 tranny mount, rebuilt my Sachs once, replaced all my radiators once, and had 2minor accidents totalling less than $8k in repairs. I've put around 60 hours on the Cup during this period and along with the 15 hours it came with. I could probably sell it for almost what I paid back in Oct. 05'

At Las Vegas last weekend I raced the new Yokohama slicks in the Yoko Cup Series, and Michelin Yellows in the POC qual. and race. My times were almost identical throughout the weekend though ironically I had my fastest lap of the weekend on takeoffs. The same was true for my fastest competitor. The new Yokes were $1,575. per set mounted and balanced. I reversed them on the rims for Sunday's race after 3 cycles since we were on 21 degree banking at WOT. They worked great and probably have 6 more good practice cycles on them....
Old 02-22-2008, 12:03 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by forklift
My RA-1s would HC out at about 27.....3 sets in a row did that. Probably not too far off from cording, but I didn't see any. Drop off of grip at HC 28 was very noticeable. Up to that point I thought they were consistent.

That is very similar what my 5-6 sets of RA-1's did. It was like this if there were shaved or not.

Quick Reply: Going to try race tires (R888); any pointers?