Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skiing and HPDE, is there a connection?.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 11:34 PM
AlpharettaRK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I snowboard regularly and have noticed several similarities as joel-cs noted both are about weight transfer. I wear a helmet for both. They also involve looking ahead as far as possible to evaluate track/snow surface and traffic and how much grip you'll have when you need to turn based on loading and surface. Momentum is key and planning turns to preserve it. The closest connection to me is the sensation of drifting when approaching the limit. The tires or the board lose their "direct" connection with the surface but (if weight is distributed correctly)you are still under control as you drift across the surface. They are dissimilar in that I can't ride fakie (backwards) in the race car, I don't hop sideways to stop the race car, and as of yet I have never landed on my head in the race car

Cheers
Randy
Old 02-10-2008, 01:40 AM
splurta
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its really interesting that this should come up this evening, as I lie on the couch after my 3rd ever trip to the slopes (1st 10 yrs ago, 2nd 2 yrs ago), also in the Boston area (White Mtns, NH) as w/out ever being told of a connection btwn skiing and driving I was thinking exactly the same thing today.

Like others have said, it occurred to me as I continued to try to get a grip of snowboarding that, like being on the track its much easier and more comfortable if I look way ahead, all the way across and down the slope. I also have to continually look over my shoulder as I move across the slope to see who's coming (like watching my mirrors) and plan accordingly while also figuring out the speed and type of movement of those slower people ahead to decide how and where to safely pass while maintaining momentum and not falling on my a$$.

The most explicit connection I made this afternoon though was dealing with fear. I found that staring down what seemed to me an absurdly steep slope while strapped to a piece of fiberglass I had to take a deep breath and relax myself in a quite similar who to when I am on the track strapped into my car going at speed and headed for a crazy corner (like Mosport T2!). In both cases I found that being relaxed in the face of danger inherent in the fun I decided to pay to do was precisely what made it possible to actually execute the moves that I needed to do.

All I can say is hopefully I will continue to improve at both!
Old 02-10-2008, 02:33 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I've been saying the two activities are very similar for the past two decades.
First, anybody can go fast in a straight line, but not anybody can turn going fast and in control. Both apply to skiing.
To go faster on skis, you just push the tips down, kind of like a throttle.
The fast line may not look as fast as the flashy line.
You have to find your limits, and stay within them.
Looking ahead, anticipation, weight transfer are factors that are critical in many sports, including tennis. But skiing and performance driving emphasize the speed and control elements more than other sports. AS
Old 02-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am a skier and do some ski instructing. I have been skiing for a long time and am very, very smooth. I frequently ski almost as slowly as you can walk down the hill, but smooth. When you can ski slow and smooth down the headwall at Tuckerman's, you're there. It takes a long time to learn this.

Some of my best track students have been skiers and I try to teach them what I teach skiing students.... first listen, then watch, then go slow and then be be very, very smooth. Speed comes later.......

Herky jerky causes the same problems on the track as it does on skis. Anticipation, as previously noted, is critical in both.

I have a recommendation for Boston Doc.......take a skiing lesson.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 290 Likes on 172 Posts

I think the comparison has a lot to do with balance combined with focus. My advice would be to get an old pair of wood ski's with cable bindings, find a pair of lace-up boots, and go to the bunny hill... you know, no artificial aids....

Anyone remember the "Bongo Board"? My race coach swore by it..
Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Bob_in_Chicago
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I agree with W. Bridgman3 and others above.
Biggest learning issue is to come to know the difference between going smoothly and fast versus feeling fast and racy, but actually going slow and sloppy. I learned to ski after racing thus, it was easy to observe that I was scrubbing off speed when not being smooth, making gradual transitions and carving with my edges.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:14 AM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hell yeh...

Anything that flirts with the laws of physics teachs you how to manage them. Skilled skiers usually make good HP drivers. Ski edges or tires. Very similar skill set, same principles, same feel. You just have to watch out for the xtreme sports guys. Back Scratchers, Helis, and Mobis don't translate to driving too well.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:38 AM
TraqBayB
Intermediate

I totally agree with WB3 -- Take a lesson from a pro! Years ago I went with coworkers (all skiers) to the Laurentian Mts in Quebec. Being the only non-skier in the group, as we approached the mountain and I looked up, waaaay up, I thought to myself "what the hell am I doing here?". It was at that moment I decided that I needed to sign up for some private instruction. All I can say is that was money well spent. When turned out on my own, I can honestly say I never fell once (I only did 4 runs that day) but had an absolute blast! ...You didn't start out in DE without an instructor...
Old 02-10-2008, 02:29 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Both disciplines require good vision skills and smooth inputs to do well. The difference is that you are probably willing to take more risks skiing, so you are over your head more. As one friend of mine once said (as I was lying on my back, looking at the sky, wondering where my skis went) "I'm glad you don't drive like you ski".
Old 02-10-2008, 02:51 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think you are all right...... I need to take some professional skiing instructions.....

I am going to call Alberto and see if he can teach this old dog new tricks.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxO8a...eature=related
Old 02-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
I think you are all right...... I need to take some professional skiing instructions.....

I am going to call Alberto and see if he can teach this old dog new tricks.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxO8a...eature=related
You could but the way he's skiing in that clip isn't taught anymore. He was a beast in his day that is for sure though.

Modern skiing does more with the uphill ski than they used to. Thanks to the new shaped skis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTboYL8CjaU

I still have trouble getting away from the older style I learned racing which is similar to Tombas.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:54 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

My first DE instructor at the end of the day asked "Ron, are you a pilot or skiier?" and I said yes to skiing and then "why do you ask?" He then told me much of what you've already heard in this thread... Started skiing very young and was doing double-blacks when I was a teenager. Of course, I took it easy in the "in between" years - but now my son drags me back to the double-blacks
Old 02-10-2008, 10:02 PM
joel-cs
Instructor

[QUOTE=Circuit Motorsports;5088828]You could but the way he's skiing in that clip isn't taught anymore. He was a beast in his day that is for sure though.
QUOTE]

Just what I was going to say!

Paolo - I can hook you up with Giorgio Rocca if you want to learn from the best Italian of today. My company does some work with him. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quraAyYBGXw
Old 02-10-2008, 11:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I'm not sure how one could not see the connection between the two . . .
Old 02-10-2008, 11:58 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Well I think you all will find this interesting ...and...maybe not agree with me but I find similarities between drumming and high performance driving. When playing music you have to be relaxed, think ahead naturally and get in a groove...plus be coordinated.

Quick Reply: Skiing and HPDE, is there a connection?.......